Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

People are telling you to leave?

Right now isn't exactly the most opportune job market... You just need to be persistent and resilient in the face of discouragement.

Cam, why don't you check out the Segway dealership at 13th and Cary? Your knowledge and love of Richmond could be very beneficial to them and perhaps, to yourself. I have a notion they could use some smart marketing and ideas...like selling a fleet of the machines to the Richmond police department.

You can't lose anything by stopping by to chat.

Another thought would be to visit Historic Richmond's office and inquire about a position with them.

Edited by burt

Thanks for your suggestions guys. I've had a talk with my manager about how things have been and my concerns. My mind was put at ease but I'll be looking still. I did have resumes at Monster and Yahoo that if I can remember my name and passwords I'll have to update since it was years ago while I was at Krispy Kreme. Burt those are great ideas. The last time I called RFH was when I graduated from college. I'll see if anything is open but if I recall they're pretty solid there.

And speaking about Richmond history... the remains of the railroad bridge predate the Byrd Street Station and the Civil War. I'm not sure exactly when they were built, possibly the 1850s?

It's a great day outside today... I may take pics every day this weekend! I'll need to upload my last ones from downtown and the Civil Rights Monument.

Hey Burt --

My wife and I are going to be in Manhattan next weekend and wondered whether you have a recommendation for some great Italian while we're in town.

jbjust, what area of the city would be most convenient and, er :dunno: , what price range? I'll be happy to make a few suggestions at several levels.

We're looking for something near the theater district since we're going to eat before a show. Probably something in the $$$ range, but not too far into the $$$$, if you know what I mean. It doesn't have to be Italian, but Mrs. Jbjust is 7 months pregnant and not very into red meat at the moment. Thanks.

We're looking for something near the theater district since we're going to eat before a show. Probably something in the $$$ range, but not too far into the $$$$, if you know what I mean. It doesn't have to be Italian, but Mrs. Jbjust is 7 months pregnant and not very into red meat at the moment. Thanks.

A very good Italian restaurant is PATSY's at 236 W. 56th between Broadway and 8th Avenue, tel. 212/247-3491. I've been there several times and would highly recommend it (Frank Sinatra loved this place.) $$$ to $$$$.

Nearer to the theatre district is MARSEILLE at 630 9th Avenue (corner of 44th Street.) Not Italian, but very French Mediterranean, and very good, IMO. Tel. 212/333-2323. $$$ to $$$$.

Right smack among theatres is a nice little place called ANGUS McINDOE, 258 W. 44th between 7th and 8th Avenues, tel 212/221-9222. It's a few doors west of SARDI's which I also like despite its touristy reputation. If you select ANGUS, let them know you need a table on the ground floor because they have three 3 levels and no elevator. $$$. Not fancy cuisine but nicely presented and quite satisfying.

SARDI's is good, but pricier. It's at 234 W. 44th, tel. 212/221-8440.

I always like JOE ALLEN's, 326 W. 46th between 8th and 9th Avenues, tel. 212/581-6464. It's more fun and vibrant post-show with lots of show people and has an uncomplicated and very good menu. $$$.

A good Italian place across from JOE ALLEN'S is BECCO at 355 W. 46th Street, tel. 212/397-7597. It's owned by a pretty famous Italian Chef named Lydia who has a TV cooking show on PBS. $$$ to $$$$. Incidentally, 46th Street between 8th and 9th Avenues is called Restaurant Row.

Wherever you decide to go, especially on a week-end, call ahead for reservations.

Edited by burt

Wow! Looking at the website for the developer who will build the Williams Mullen 15-story building downtown really makes me want to see Richmond compete for Virginia's tallest. I mean really, look at the front page of this site (click here to see the site) and tell me that this isn't screaming for someone to building something to compete with the Westin Tower in Virginia Beach! Boy, I sure would love to see a friendly competition here. I know we've already covered this topic before, but perhaps we should bring it up again - maybe this time someone out there might listen. Really folks, we are the Capital City for goodness sakes! I think we ought to challenge the taunting going on! I say someone should grow some balls and bring Virginia's tallest back to Richmond! Of course, we need to have the demand for the space (just a slight problem, I know).

...Of course, we need to have the demand for the space (just a slight problem, I know).

...And therein lies the problem. Developers are not in business to lose money just so some locality can claim the tallest, biggest, best, (add superlative here) building. It would be nice - but that just is not how it works.

Maybe I'm depressed lately. I have very little interest in taking any more pictures of anything Richmond. Maybe I don't have the energy to do it anymore. And fall and winter are coming and those are my walking seasons where I would take a lot. I still would like to do Manchester (within its city limits) but I'm not sure when that'll happen. I've covered downtown, north Jackson Ward minus Gilpin, Church Hill, Union Hill, Fulton, Fulton Hill and almost continuously the entire north river bank from Rocketts to Hollywood Cemetery. I look at northside and see great shots to take but I don't feel like it. Even my maps have suffered. I've bought 2 new Richmond books and one on Fredericksburg and I haven't read them yet. My neighborhood research has also halted. Here and RCW have not interest me much lately and I haven't been really participating. I feel life is such a disorganized mess and I don't know how to get it back together. I guess things will get realigned again, but I won't have too many new pics. I have some I still have to upload, but since I have an ancient computer that's getting slower and slower by the day, I don't know when I'll get to those.

I'm sorry.

Edited by Cadeho

Maybe I'm depressed lately. I have very little interest in taking any more pictures of anything Richmond. Maybe I don't have the energy to do it anymore. And fall and winter are coming and those are my walking seasons where I would take a lot. I still would like to do Manchester (within its city limits) but I'm not sure when that'll happen. I've covered downtown, north Jackson Ward minus Gilpin, Church Hill, Union Hill, Fulton, Fulton Hill and almost continuously the entire north river bank from Rocketts to Hollywood Cemetery. I look at northside and see great shots to take but I don't feel like it. Even my maps have suffered. I've bought 2 new Richmond books and one on Fredericksburg and I haven't read them yet. My neighborhood research has also halted. Here and RCW have not interest me much lately and I haven't been really participating. I feel life is such a disorganized mess and I don't know how to get it back together. I guess things will get realigned again, but I won't have too many new pics. I have some I still have to upload, but since I have an ancient computer that's getting slower and slower by the day, I don't know when I'll get to those.

I'm sorry.

Sounds like someone needs a vacation. Going away for ten days or so always makes me re-appreciate my homestead.

Hooray!! Somebody besides me believes the alleys in Shockoe Bottom have unexplored potential.

Here's is today's Mash Up video from inRich:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/entertainment/mashup.html

It also has a very revealing piece about the organ at the Byrd Theatre -- one of the very, very few theatre organs remaining in America. Three of them are in Richmond: The Byrd, The Landmark and Carpenter theatres all have organs.

Mash Up may be a pretty strong dose for most staid Richmonders, but I happen to enjoy them each week. This particular one will not offend in any way.

This is a grim chart from inRich. It records homicides in Metro Richmond. There's some gratification in the fact that the killing rate is declining in the City thus far in 2008. A total of 24 have lost their lives through violence, reflecting a slight decrease from the same period in 2007 which saw the lowest murder rate in decades:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/databases/ri...=67423790140738