Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

How come Little old Raleigh, which in my youth was a country town compared to Richmond, can even contemplate getting something like this? If it can attract tenants for such a project, is it rediculous for Richmond to dream?

http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/1105192.html

Click "more photos" at bottom of the side bar.

Perhaps if Richmond Coliseum is demolished and a larger replacement arena built elsewhere, the site would be ideal for a similar development.

Edited by burt

How come Little old Raleigh, which in my youth was a country town compared to Richmond, can even contemplate getting something like this? If it can attract tenants for such a project, is it rediculous for Richmond to dream?

http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/1105192.html

Click "more photos" at bottom of the side bar.

Perhaps if Richmond Coliseum is demolished and a larger replacement arena built elsewhere, the site would be ideal for a similar development.

I was thinking the samething. It seems that NC as a whole is flying right past VA. I am sure when market conditions improve, Richmond will have things a bit more their way... if and only if the egotistic red tape is left out.

Edited by Shakman

Wouldn't it be neat if a similar mammoth high rise project containing retail, condos, hotels and offices rose on the Coliseum site? It runs from 5th to 7th and from Leigh to Clay Street. That's a lot of land. Since the property is about the highest point downtown, towers would be a signature symbol for the city from any angle. The Biotech park could expand into some of the space as well as VCU Medical -- also state and city departments that are being squeezed for space.

A beautiful Symphony Hall could front the complex at the top of 6th street and Blues Armory converted to entertainment venues/restaurants, etc.

And lots of FREE parking underneath the complex!!!

It would require massive marketing to lure new headquarter offices and other tenants. Maybe Mr. Trump could be enticed. :thumbsup:

Anybody got an idea of where a replacement 20,000-seat arena could be built DOWNTOWN?

Wouldn't it be neat if a similar mammoth high rise project containing retail, condos, hotels and offices rose on the Coliseum site? It runs from 5th to 7th and from Leigh to Clay Street. That's a lot of land. Since the property is about the highest point downtown, towers would be a signature symbol for the city from any angle. The Biotech park could expand into some of the space as well as VCU Medical -- also state and city departments that are being squeezed for space.

A beautiful Symphony Hall could front the complex at the top of 6th street and Blues Armory converted to entertainment venues/restaurants, etc.

It would require massive marketing to lure new headquarter offices and other tenants. Maybe Mr. Trump could be enticed. :thumbsup:

Anybody got an idea of where a replacement 20,000-seat arena could be built DOWNTOWN?

The Alcoa site, part of much larger development on the parking lot bounded by 8th, 9th and Cary or even the Bottom.

Yeah...

How about the 4-6 blocks bounded by 3rd, 5th, Main and the 195 to the south. You could elevate the stadium over parking and have cary and canal pass under to provide cross access and access to the parking decks under the stadium... especially since that area is slightly risen to begin with. Main would be ground level with the entrance.

I know I know, I am off my rocker, but the fact remains that area is slow to turn, and it opens up the old stadium site for new Biotech or Skyscraper development...

Yeah...

How about the 4-6 blocks bounded by 3rd, 5th, Main and the 195 to the south. You could elevate the stadium over parking and have cary and canal pass under to provide cross access and access to the parking decks under the stadium... especially since that area is slightly risen to begin with. Main would be ground level with the entrance.

I know I know, I am off my rocker, but the fact remains that area is slow to turn, and it opens up the old stadium site for new Biotech or Skyscraper development...

Haha, journi. I guess I'm off my rocker, too. But I think both our ideas are worthy propositions. No historical demolition at either place (my Trump Plaza and your Bow Tie Coliseum).

Maybe we should apply to Greg Wingfield's office as area promoters. :lol:

Manchester's a good site for a new arena.

...but not very accessible. Journi's Bowtie site would be handy to the downtown Expressway.

Also, it would provide river views from upper reaches if the building were imaginatively designed. Its main front entry would be street level on Main Street and as Journi points out, it would cover Cary and Canal streets making tunnels of those east/west thoroughfares between 2nd and 4th. And LOTS of (free?) parking underneath the entire structure and streets. Also, lots of escalators and elevators at the lower entrances.

The site could include a huge arena, cinemas, retail and possibly other features. With a jaunty led-lit bow tie crowining the top. :D

Edited by burt

Didn't they already condemn the Coliseum site to become part of the dead fortresses of the Bio-tech park? It would be a miracle if Richmond would have that area developed into something superior to what is now. I'd much rather a large arena replacing the Coliseum on that site because arenas belong in downtowns, not neighborhoods nearby. Main between 4th and 5th do have some neat older buildings that shouldn't be disposed of so easily. I'd like to see towers rise on the parking lots. Raleigh also doesn't have the conflict Richmond has with its metro. As long as we're separated from Henrico, don't expect any developmental miracles.

Edited by Cadeho

Didn't they already condemn the Coliseum site to become part of the dead fortresses of the Bio-tech park? It would be a miracle if Richmond would have that area developed into something superior to what is now. I'd much rather a large arena replacing the Coliseum on that site because arenas belong in downtowns, not neighborhoods nearby. Main between 4th and 5th do have some neat older buildings that shouldn't be disposed of so easily. I'd like to see towers rise on the parking lots. Raleigh also doesn't have the conflict Richmond has with its metro. As long as we're separated from Henrico, don't expect any developmental miracles.

Maybe we should start a movement in the state house and senate to form a mega-opolis out of Richmond, Henrico, Chesterfield and someone else if they play nice - thus forcing regional cooperation. We could have a 21 seat city council and 1 power mayor. TAKE THAT Money-sucking suburbs!! Bet they would love regional transit then!

...but not very accessible. Journi's Bowtie site would be handy to the downtown Expressway.

Also, it would provide river views from upper reaches if the building were imaginatively designed. Its main front entry would be street level on Main Street and as Journi points out, it would cover Cary and Canal streets making tunnels of those east/west thoroughfares between 2nd and 4th. And LOTS of (free?) parking underneath the entire structure and streets. Also, lots of escalators and elevators at the lower entrances.

The site could include a huge arena, cinemas, retail and possibly other features. With a jaunty led-lit bow tie crowining the top. :D

Also consider that we want peole to stay Downtown after what ever event is finished. What I do not want to see is people getting into there cars and conveniently getting back on to the highway.

I have to revise this location: It should be between 3rd and 5th, not 2nd and 4th as I suggested above. It would be neigh impossible to close 3rd street, but blocking off 4th between Main and Canal wouldn't be much of an inconvenience. The major obstacle would be those two low rise buildings on Main between 4th and 5th and the Red Cross building at corner of 5th and Cary. I can't recall anything else of significance in the four square blocks from 3rd to 5th and Main to Canal.

I'm not much of a fan of chopping up the existing street grid.

Journi's and my plan would only chop off one street - 4th between Canal and Main which isn't that heavily traveled anyway. Cary would be bridged by the arena. Main, Canal, 3rd and 5th would not be affected at all.

Besides, we all know that this section of the "off-topic" thread is just for outlandish dreams. :rolleyes:

I'm not much of a fan of chopping up the existing street grid.

Consider it a trade off for getting the grid back where the existing Coliseum is.... :(

Besides, ending 4th St at a nice plaza in front of a grand entrance to a new stadium would be WAY more dramatic than running into or crossing over 195... IMO...

Or we can stick it in Manchester, hiring a top firm to design a world class structure. Then you could throw in an all glass Museum of Modern Art on the banks of the James or something like that!

I'd rather see the blocks in Monroe Ward rebuilt into a great urban neighborhood of varying architecture... low-mid-high rises. Huge towers could be built on those surface lots and they'd have great visibility towering over downtown.

Consider it a trade off for getting the grid back where the existing Coliseum is.... :(

Besides, ending 4th St at a nice plaza in front of a grand entrance to a new stadium would be WAY more dramatic than running into or crossing over 195... IMO...

Hey, journi. No getting the grid back at the coliseum site!! We need all that space for our new skyscraper city.

The grid where the Coliseum stands is forever lost. Clay stops at 3rd and picks back up at 8th... however, there was a little faux Clay St opened between 7th and 8th. Sixth St can no longer meet up with Navy Hill Dr, a renames portion of it. Leigh St was dug below and sent on a slight curve when the Coliseum was built and Philip Morris uses that. The only thing that can be done is 7th can be straightened again like 5th st was.

I am also not for any more superblocks. I really wish I could register Richmond's streets from 1737 to maybe 1866 for the National Register.

Edited by Cadeho

At last!!! The naked flag poles at the foot of 5th street on the canal are proudly flying city, state and American flags!!! Can you believe it has taken so long for whoever is responsible to see the light?

Now, when will the Fed Reserve shed its boots?

Well I went and got pics. It was like a once-in-a-lifetime event, so I had to! I thought the fireworks were supposed to start at 9:30. I heard them at 9:15 and I got to see the finale while sitting at a light at 7th and Canal at 9:27. I mean come on! Well aside from it being a less than 15 minute display, the traffic lights downtown make no sense. As soon as one turns green, the next one is still red or turning red. Turn a corner and you run into another red light, with at times no traffic!