Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

A tip for you photographers:

If you drive waaay down Commerce Road in South Richmond toward Deep Water Terminal, turn around and head back to the city, you'll see some spectacular views of the skyline. Take your cameras. :camera:

And I swear, the clump of buildings look denser every time I return to the city and drive south on Chamberlayne Avenue from Brookland Park Boulevard. Cam has snapped some great ones from that angle.

Richmond City Watch is safe to visit. Ryan has some new pix up.

I have tons of pictures from Commerce. And now that I have a sunrood... that helps with my drivebys quite a bit. Thanks for the all clear Burt.

Can the creator of a thread edit the thread name? If not, can a mod edit the RMA Garage Highrise thread to include "Proposed:"

Also...

One of our former HQ'ed companies is in hot water. Wachovia Securities's St. Louis HQ was raided by security regulators. What a way for MO to welcome Wachovia Securities into their state... Link to CNBC Article:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/25720699

Edited by Shakman

Ryan Ramsey has a couple of photos in his July Gallery at Richmond City Watch of a building he captions as Dogtown Dance Performing Arts Center. I'm sure the rather imposing structure is in Manchester, but does anyone know its exact location and its history?

It doesn't... though you'll be happy to know that the print version had CenterStage as the front page top of fold story.

I'd like to hear something about the John Marshall... it's only a block from their offices!

Maybe general construction RTD coverage will come tomorrow or on another day. Perhaps they'll give us some info on Williams Mullen's project, a new state office building and Centennial's plans as well.

I'm convinced that the John Marshall is a "go." Construction-related people from out-of-town as well as locals are in and out of the building. Something is going on!!!

Just saw a post from my friend Burt and I had to comment on the John Marshall. I talked to someone in the know on Monday and they have got all of their pricing done and should be going out for bids shortly. I asked about demo because i had been told that it was going to start in July and now i hear Sept.

First time posting on this so any help would be great.

Just saw a post from my friend Burt and I had to comment on the John Marshall. I talked to someone in the know on Monday and they have got all of their pricing done and should be going out for bids shortly. I asked about demo because i had been told that it was going to start in July and now i hear Sept.

First time posting on this so any help would be great.

Hahaha! :yahoo: Welcome, Curt. Good to hear from you on this board. More comments, please.

Miller & Rhoads looks good in the video posted today on the Richmond Center Stage thread.

Speaking of pricing, has M&R got its done yet?

I wonder if the Richmond Police Department has considered using Segways to patrol downtown streets? Richmond is a hilly city and those one-man up-right machines would encourage officers to cover their former walking beats more thoroughly and in comfort.

The Segway franchise has a very attractive sales room and office in what used to be the original Sam Miller's. It's on the southeast corner of Cary and Shockoe Plaza.

Ryan Ramsey of Richmond City Watch, probably the city's most extraordinary urban photographer, has a magnificent set of photos in his July gallery. There are over 150 of them which are predominently of construction sites in and around downtown. You'll be amazed -- also frustrated because they are not captioned. There are only a few that I was unable to identify, but I intend to go back and figure out the location of each shot.

Check them out.

http://www.richmondcitywatch.com/modules.p...g2_itemid=35777

Click the July gallery which will bring up all of the pictures. Then click the first picture again and you're on your way to a pictorial journey!

Edited by burt

He's able to upload his pics. I guess my flaw is in having 30,000 pics and some outings averaging 300 to 500 pics. I also have an ancient computer where getting online with all the Java and Flash these days makes my time online a nightmare. This site in particular freezes for up to 5 minutes every time I access it from home.

I'll say though, Ryan's the pioneer. An online friend of mine in Utah (also one of the early members on this site and a poster on the skyscraper forum) back in 2000 I believe, showed me Ryan's site. Although I had started taking some pics of Richmond in 1997... very limited stuff due to film, it was when I got my first real digital in 2004 a few months after joining RCW, I was inspired by Ryan for what he had done. So, I guess I will call Ryan king of the hill... for now... :whistling:

OH! At RCW... YES definitely king.

Edited by Cadeho

He's able to upload his pics. I guess my flaw is in having 30,000 pics and some outings averaging 300 to 500 pics. I also have an ancient computer where getting online with all the Java and Flash these days makes my time online a nightmare. This site in particular freezes for up to 5 minutes every time I access it from home.

I'll say though, Ryan's the pioneer. An online friend of mine in Utah (also one of the early members on this site and a poster on the skyscraper forum) back in 2000 I believe, showed me Ryan's site. Although I had started taking some pics of Richmond in 1997... very limited stuff due to film, it was when I got my first real digital in 2004 a few months after joining RCW, I was inspired by Ryan for what he had done. So, I guess I will call Ryan king of the hill... for now... :whistling:

OH! At RCW... YES definitely king.

Trying to join the ranks of the ace photogs here. I bought a point and shoot and digital SLR a month or so back and finally got out and about in the City to take pics yesterday. I didn't see a strictly photo thread here so I posted them in Southern photos. Check them out if you guys get the chance. Any pics that are related to projects with threads I'll be sure to post here. Sorry my first outing wasn't very "urban".