Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Ok, I've calculated my official picture count, no longer including events such as Rock the Boat, The National Folk Festival, and pics I took before the dedication of the Reconcilliation monument.

Starting with May 29, 2004 and ending June 14, 2008, the total is 29,934.

2004 = 1,646

2005 = 6,414

2006 = 11,855

2007 = 5,200

2008 so far 4,819

Ok, I've calculated my official picture count, no longer including events such as Rock the Boat, The National Folk Festival, and pics I took before the dedication of the Reconcilliation monument.

Starting with May 29, 2004 and ending June 14, 2008, the total is 29,934.

2004 = 1,646

2005 = 6,414

2006 = 11,855

2007 = 5,200

2008 so far 4,819

I hope at least one of your 30,000 pix shows the newly dressed flag poles on the canal at 5th and Tredegar and that you will post it here. :)

Happy Father's Day to all the fathers here!

Happy Father's Day Burt... you know yesterday was after all Flag Day!

100_8943.jpg

edit: the close up pic seems to be corrupt... it shows up whole on the computer's preview and in the camera, but if I open it on the computer and on photobucket, it is a half picture cutting ooff two flags.

100_8966.jpg

And I had taken these a while ago and meant to put them on the site. Sorry it's been so long.

DSCF3771.jpg

DSCF3774.jpg

DSCF3777.jpg

DSCF3788.jpg

DSCF3797.jpg

DSCF3798.jpg

Edited by Cadeho

• 2 weeks later...

It was a confirmed tornado.

It is a worrisome thought of a tornado blowing through the city. So far this year, there have been tornado touch downs to the north and south of Richmond. Although nothing too terribly powerful, even something low on the scales going through an urban area can be quite a mess.

Edited by Shakman

It's only a matter of time we'll see another inside Richmond itself. That's scary for me living in a house that's about 100 in need of repair that has no interior rooms or basement.

It might be time to consider creative re-use for these S.U.V.'s and protecting yourself in the same move. First, you find someone who has a backhoe or who has a friend or family member who owns a backhoe. Next, you find a s.u.v. or van for sale. They should be real cheap these days with gas being over $4 a gallon. Then you have the backhoe person come over and dig you a big hole. Next, you put the s.u.v. or van into the hole and place sheets of plywood around it before back-filling. Be sure you create yourself an access to the vehicle which is to be buried. Backfill and cover with remaining excavated soil. Voila! Instant tornado shelter and creative re-use of obsolete vehicles.

Guys beware! I went to RCW tonight and something was odd. I think Ryan was hacked again, but it was much worse. Some odd site was downloading onto the computer. avwav.com/_woxxjpit/ I found two things from that site in my temporary internet files, 3376usbpgwij.htm and 3376mpwphdzf.exe. Also, when I turned off my net,I got a pop up asking if I'd like to cancel msn_0866_upd300023.exe as it hadn't finished downloading. I've messaged Ryan and hopefully he'll fix it.

So check your computers if you went by the site tonight.

A malicious spyware was installed to my computer last night as I accessed the RCW site. It took me an hour to rid my machine of this bugger. Then, like an idiot who didn't believe how hot the stove was the first time, I went back to RCW and had to repeat the entire process again. I got everything cleaned-up by midnight. Clean your cookies, temporary internet files and run your virus scan from your security software if you have been in contact with RCW. It seems to have come from the ad block at the top of the RCW page.

A malicious spyware was installed to my computer last night as I accessed the RCW site. It took me an hour to rid my machine of this bugger. Then, like an idiot who didn't believe how hot the stove was the first time, I went back to RCW and had to repeat the entire process again. I got everything cleaned-up by midnight. Clean your cookies, temporary internet files and run your virus scan from your security software if you have been in contact with RCW. It seems to have come from the ad block at the top of the RCW page.

I had the same problem D_C. Took a while for Live One Care to clear it. I hope RCW monitors or moderators will let us know when it's safe to return.

Somebody must have stolen the City of Richmond flag flying from the formerly and once again naked pole at the foot of 5th Street on the canal. But I'm grateful that Old Glory and the state banner flutter from on high. :)

Howsomever, the fountain fairie is performing her old tricks. The Kanawa Plaza as well as the 7th Street fountain on the canal look parched and desolate.

It seems to me that this is the only safe site left! I went to chpn.net earlier at work and I got a pop up saying I was infected and to download... now I work in the fraud dept and I know many a time we've had to tell people about that pop-up after whatever company started charging after they fell for it. But the site didn't load at all, just that. Ryan's not on IM and I'm not brave enough to venture back.

A tip for you photographers:

If you drive waaay down Commerce Road in South Richmond toward Deep Water Terminal, turn around and head back to the city, you'll see some spectacular views of the skyline. Take your cameras. :camera:

And I swear, the clump of buildings look denser every time I return to the city and drive south on Chamberlayne Avenue from Brookland Park Boulevard. Cam has snapped some great ones from that angle.

It seems to me that this is the only safe site left! I went to chpn.net earlier at work and I got a pop up saying I was infected and to download... now I work in the fraud dept and I know many a time we've had to tell people about that pop-up after whatever company started charging after they fell for it. But the site didn't load at all, just that. Ryan's not on IM and I'm not brave enough to venture back.

Richmond City Watch is safe to visit. Ryan has some new pix up.

Edited by burt