Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Trying to join the ranks of the ace photogs here. I bought a point and shoot and digital SLR a month or so back and finally got out and about in the City to take pics yesterday. I didn't see a strictly photo thread here so I posted them in Southern photos. Check them out if you guys get the chance. Any pics that are related to projects with threads I'll be sure to post here. Sorry my first outing wasn't very "urban".

Great set of pictures, ric75. I just finished viewing them. For others who want to look, go to top of this page, click USA South then scroll down past all the states to Southern Photos of the Day and enter. That thread, incidentally, was begun by our very own TBurban and gets entries from all over the southeast.

More pix pls, ric75.

I am seriously thinking about going downtown again soon with the camera again and snapping some new photos. With my new car (new to me) now I dont know where the best place to park would be. I wanted to park over by Ladifference or at the Cathedral Walk but I dont know how parking down there usually is.

I am seriously thinking about going downtown again soon with the camera again and snapping some new photos. With my new car (new to me) now I dont know where the best place to park would be. I wanted to park over by Ladifference or at the Cathedral Walk but I dont know how parking down there usually is.

I never find any difficulty parking on the weekend and weekdays. On the weekends, I will sometimes park along 3rd or 4th, between Cary and Main. There is two hour restriction to park there, but at least it is free.

I never find any difficulty parking on the weekend and weekdays. On the weekends, I will sometimes park along 3rd or 4th, between Cary and Main. There is two hour restriction to park there, but at least it is free.

Ignore the two hour restrictions everywhere in the city on the weekends, and don't pay the meters (this is true for all street parking). No meter maids on the weekends and it is unwritten but the weekends are free parking.

Ignore the two hour restrictions everywhere in the city on the weekends, and don't pay the meters (this is true for all street parking). No meter maids on the weekends and it is unwritten but the weekends are free parking.

OOPS... I meant weekdays are free on 3rd and 4th between Cary and Main, but with a two hour restriction until either 4pm or 6pm.

Edited by Shakman

To Burt, Cam, Wrld, etc....

I need your help... either PM or ask for my email address. I have been thinking, and this weekend I came to a conclusion - I think I will try to get on one of the new mayor's staff's in a place that will help us all love our city more. I need advice on all of the candidates, their backgrounds, etc. Anything you guys/gals might know will be helpful.

Thanks

Wish me luck...

journi, maybe you could be hired on in the next administration as press secretary. Jon Baililes who heads up a blog called River City Rapids got a job in Wilder's press office. I imagine his tenure will end at City Hall in January '09.

I dont know if I present the right face for press secretary, but you are thinking the same way I am... somewhere in the administration is the goal... things need to be done, and need to be done now IMO. We know what they are, the power-brokers don't. Time to bring them both together.

Actor and Comedian Robin Williams will be on tour. He will make a stop at Richmond's Landmark Theater on October 16, 2008 for his "Weapons of Self Destruction" tour.

Chris Rock recently came through town with his recent tour. Did anyone attend?

Jim Gaffigan came through as well... I really wish I was able to make it.

Re: the above comments from Shak and Coupe about commedians headlining at The Landmark, I believe the city will see more quality bookings now that SMG has taken over management of that theatre as well as the upcoming Richmond CenterStage. They already manage The Coliseum, and considering its age, small capacity and lack of appeal, do pretty well with it, IMO. Bruce Springsteen's concert this weekend sold out as soon as it went on sale.

Read this story from today's inRich:

http://www.inrich.com/content/cva/ric/news...08-06-0093.html

Edited by burt

Yeah and im going to the Bruce Springsteen Concert. I got my tickets on ticketmaster. Im also going to WWE Raw this coming Monday. It will also bee on the USA Network on TV. I cant wait to go see WWE it is gonna be off the hook. The Springsteen concert is gonna be awesome too. I am looking forward to this upcoming few weeks.

Why do people who know I love Richmond always want me to leave Richmond? It won't be easy to move and if I did, I'd probably be homeless. No one knows better my situation and all the suggestions are just ideas, but why is it hard to find a good job in Richmond? Why is the good 'ol boy network (not the redneck/KKK version) still operational here? Where can I go to be able to find employment bliss? At the moment I am suffering and feel no way out beside them firing me. I really hate it here. But whenever I try to search, I find nothing suited for me or even anything I'm rightfully qualified. Do I really have to turn my back on my beloved city just to find happiness when the city itself makes me happy? There has to be something out there here I can enjoy and never tire that will benefit me for life.

Why do people who know I love Richmond always want me to leave Richmond? It won't be easy to move and if I did, I'd probably be homeless. No one knows better my situation and all the suggestions are just ideas, but why is it hard to find a good job in Richmond? Why is the good 'ol boy network (not the redneck/KKK version) still operational here? Where can I go to be able to find employment bliss? At the moment I am suffering and feel no way out beside them firing me. I really hate it here. But whenever I try to search, I find nothing suited for me or even anything I'm rightfully qualified. Do I really have to turn my back on my beloved city just to find happiness when the city itself makes me happy? There has to be something out there here I can enjoy and never tire that will benefit me for life.

Be sure to create accounts on Monster and Snagajob if you haven't already. Sometimes the right job will find you! Seek some advice on interviewing skills, add to your skill set through classes or part-time jobs, maybe even change career paths if it will make you happy. People do it all the time in fact it seems to be the exception these days when people stay with one company all their lives or work in the field they studied in. I'm thinking about changing course as well.

Please do stay. You are an icon on this forum. :shades:

Hang in there, Cam.

Last year, Richmond had a total of 55 murders. Everyone should be gratified to note that thru July of '08, there has been a striking reduction. There have been 22 killings thus far. Keeping fingers crossed, we can hope the city ends 2008 with the lowest count in decades.

I have a random question, i was in Richmond yesterday for a business meeting, and was really the first time in a decade that i've been, and my first time in downtown. While driving over Belle Island on 301, i looked over to what i've found is the 9th st bridge (i think?) There's stacks of brick bridge supports that run parallel to the 9th St Bridge....what is that, and what's the history?

I have a random question, i was in Richmond yesterday for a business meeting, and was really the first time in a decade that i've been, and my first time in downtown. While driving over Belle Island on 301, i looked over to what i've found is the 9th st bridge (i think?) There's stacks of brick bridge supports that run parallel to the 9th St Bridge....what is that, and what's the history?

Spiker, the piers (stacks) you saw are the remains of the old Richmond/Petersburg railway bridge. The city's main railway station was called Byrd Street Station and it was on Byrd Street at about 8th. The trestle/bridge ran from the station across Browns Island and the James River and on to Petersburg. It was probably demolished in the early 20th Century.

The old 9th Street bridge, which carried automobiles and street cars, was immediately upstream of and parallel to the Manchester Bridge which replaced the 9th Street bridge. Nothing remains of the rickty old 9th street span.

You were on Lee Bridge which carries US1/301 traffic across the James and above a portion of Belle Island.

Spiker, the piers (stacks) you saw are the remains of the old Richmond/Petersburg railway bridge. The city's main railway station was called Byrd Street Station and it was on Byrd Street at about 8th. The trestle/bridge ran from the station across Browns Island and the James River and on to Petersburg. It was probably demolished in the early 20th Century.

The old 9th Street bridge, which carried automobiles and street cars, was immediately upstream of and parallel to the Manchester Bridge which replaced the 9th Street bridge. Nothing remains of the rickty old 9th street span.

You were on Lee Bridge which carries US1/301 traffic across the James and above a portion of Belle Island.

Thanks burt, i appreciate it. I thought there might be a little more history to it since it's still there a century later (it obviously looked old) Either way it was very unique above the mounds and mini-islands in the James River.

Thanks burt, i appreciate it. I thought there might be a little more history to it since it's still there a century later (it obviously looked old) Either way it was very unique above the mounds and mini-islands in the James River.

Spiker, there is a climbing wall on the south bank of the James where the old railway trestle terminates.

Check out this video and story from inRich edition of Discover Richmond:

http://www.discoverrichmond.com/dis/sports...bing_wall/1463/

Edited by burt