Louisiana Cuisine

Mith242

I think I remember having the Red Creme Soda once or twice in New Orleans. I rember Nehi Peach Soda as well, but can't recall much more about the company except that they also sold a grape soda. Peach soda was something I certainly didn't see in Virginia back then. ( I lived between MS and Virginia as a child).

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't most soft drinks gotten started somewhere in the south?

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any good food topics? I'm in the food discussion mood. :D

Hmmm...let's see if I can think of something. I have sorta wondered if there are some limitations on what makes a jambalaya. I've made some dishes, not really trying to make it particularly cajun or anything, that some people have referred to as being like a jambalaya and then I've had some that I thought might be more jamabala-ish that people disagreed with me. I was just wondering at what point is a jambalaya a jambalaya and not something else.

^Just for comparison purposes, how do you normally going about making your jambalaya(the cooking process) and what ingredients do you normally include?

Well that's sorta the problem. I don't really follow any recipe and I don't tend to make a dish the same way twice. I'm not much on using precise measurements and such. On some of the dishes people have commented on I can't quite recall what all I used.

Well that's sorta the problem. I don't really follow any recipe and I don't tend to make a dish the same way twice. I'm not much on using precise measurements and such. On some of the dishes people have commented on I can't quite recall what all I used.

Well real Jambalaya, the good old New Orleans stuff, has two standard and historic ways of preperation and cooking. Jambalaya is usually made in one pot, with meats and vegetables, and completed by adding rice. You can also cook all ingredients separately from the rice, adding rice cooked in a stock, then blending the ingredients to serve. I normally only use sausage(usually Andouille) and seafood, though I use chicken or pork if that's all I've got. Again, the "real" stuff is traditionally always prepared like the two ways I listed above, or in similar ways, and the same styles of preperation, cooking, and incredients have been used here for hundreds of years.

Well real Jambalaya, the good old New Orleans stuff, has two standard and historic ways of preperation and cooking. Jambalaya is usually made in one pot, with meats and vegetables, and completed by adding rice. You can also cook all ingredients separately from the rice, adding rice cooked in a stock, then blending the ingredients to serve. I normally only use sausage(usually Andouille) and seafood, though I use chicken or pork if that's all I've got. Again, the "real" stuff is traditionally always prepared like the two ways I listed above, or in similar ways, and the same styles of preperation, cooking, and incredients have been used here for hundreds of years.

Interesting. I do cook the rice separate from the rest of it. I'll use just about any type of meat. Although lately it's mainly been either sausage(also usually Andouille) and catfish. But in the past fews months I've tried lots of other meats as well.

Interesting. I do cook the rice separate from the rest of it. I'll use just about any type of meat. Although lately it's mainly been either sausage(also usually Andouille) and catfish. But in the past fews months I've tried lots of other meats as well.

I've never tried using Catfish in my jambalaya, and I really don't think I've ever even heard of that. :lol: Sounds interesting though, I might have to try that out sometime.

I've never tried using Catfish in my jambalaya, and I really don't think I've ever even heard of that. :lol: Sounds interesting though, I might have to try that out sometime.

Now that I think about it, is catfish not used that much in the cuisine in that area of Louisisana? I've gotten the impression it's somewhat common in most areas of the south. But I admit I don't know that it's common across the whole south.

Now that I think about it, is catfish not used that much in the cuisine in that area of Louisisana? I've gotten the impression it's somewhat common in most areas of the south. But I admit I don't know that it's common across the whole south.

Oh no, Catfish is huge around here. Since SE Louisiana is one of the best places in the country for fishing, catfish are very prominent, and a very common and loved seafood around here. Actually, I believe a great deal of the nations catfish comes from Louisiana. It's just a food not commonly used in Jambalaya.

Oh no, Catfish is huge around here. Since SE Louisiana is one of the best places in the country for fishing, catfish are very prominent, and a very common and loved seafood around here. Actually, I believe a great deal of the nations catfish comes from Louisiana. It's just a food not commonly used in Jambalaya.

Yeah I've gotten the impression that Mississippi, Louisiana and southeast Arkansas was the bigtime catfish area. Although I admit I'm not sure about the rest of the south. I do get the impression catfish is big elsewhere too. Maybe my views are skewed because I live closer to this particular area.

I saw in the newspaper that someone recently caught a 65lb. catfish in the Intracoastal Waterway south of Port Allen near the Mississippi River. It looked like a mini-whale.

Yeah I've seen some huge ones as well. Granted they weren't caught with a rod and reel. But I've had an uncle catch some that were bigger than that. I can't remember which type of catfish they were though.

Yeah I've seen some huge ones as well. Granted they weren't caught with a rod and reel. But I've had an uncle catch some that were bigger than that. I can't remember which type of catfish they were though.

Check out this article... an excerpt:

"In the 1990s, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers completed a project that added five water-control structures to the Red River between Shreveport and Simmesport, creating impoundment-like pools where catfish thrive. In July 1998, Harley Rakes landed the record flathead, a 66-pounder, near Shreveport. Michael L. Guimbellot landed a 52.04-pound flathead near Poland on the Red River in February 2000."

http://www.lagameandfish.com/fishing/catfi...ing/LA_0705_02/

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, lets get this thread moving again...

So throughout the forum we've talked a lot about chicken places, especially Canes and Popeyes, so here's something new. What are your favorite fast food burger joints? :D

Ok, lets get this thread moving again...

So throughout the forum we've talked a lot about chicken places, especially Canes and Popeyes, so here's something new. What are your favorite fast food burger joints? :D

Hmmm... fast-food burger joints... do burger joints like Fatburger count?

Never even heard of Fatburger. :lol: I was just talking about national chains, Burger King, McDonalds, Wendy's, etc.

Really? You've never heard of Fatburger? :lol:

Last March when I was down in N.O., one of the Canal streetcars had a Fatburger advertisement on it. There was one in the French Quarter... on Decatur, close to House of Blues. It's closed now, but it was there for a while. It opened shortly before the Shreveport location opened.

Anyway, as far as national chains go, I'd have to say Wendy's. Nothing like a square patty to be different.

Really? You've never heard of Fatburger? :lol:

Last March when I was down in N.O., one of the Canal streetcars had a Fatburger advertisement on it. There was one in the French Quarter... on Decatur, close to House of Blues. It's closed now, but it was there for a while. It opened shortly before the Shreveport location opened.

Anyway, as far as national chains go, I'd have to say Wendy's. Nothing like a square patty to be different.

Geez, are you serious!? Something in the French Quarter than even I don't know about? :shok:

I really like Wendy's too, but Burger King is also good. I had my first Hardee's burger in a small town in Virginia off of I-81 on my way up to D.C. Damn that thing was good! :D

Geez, are you serious!? Something in the French Quarter than even I don't know about? :shok:

I really like Wendy's too, but Burger King is also good. I had my first Hardee's burger in a small town in Virginia off of I-81 on my way up to D.C. Damn that thing was good! :D

I really miss Hardee's. We had them here many years ago but they all closed. As did Jack N The Box, Wendy's, etc. Fortunately, of all those chains, we at least got Wendy's back and there are tons of them now. As a matter of fact, I had that for lunch yesterday. But rather than a burger I did something unlike me and had the chicken sandwich. It wasn't any healthier, as it was batter-fried, but it was good. :D

Burger King is okay to me, but since I worked there as a teenager, I really burned myself out on all that discounted food back then!

I really miss Hardee's. We had them here many years ago but they all closed. As did Jack N The Box, Wendy's, etc. Fortunately, of all those chains, we at least got Wendy's back and there are tons of them now. As a matter of fact, I had that for lunch yesterday. But rather than a burger I did something unlike me and had the chicken sandwich. It wasn't any healthier, as it was batter-fried, but it was good. :D

I love the Spicy Chicken Sandwich and Wendy's, and the Big Bacon Classic, and the Doublestack, and the Chili, and the Baked Potatoes, and the Frosty's, and the....well, you get the point! :P

Yall are making me hungry. These post are gonna make me go to Wendy's. It's been a while since I have been. Those spicy chicken sandwiches are really good. I prefer the batter-fried eventhough it's not as healthy. Most grilled chicken is better, just not at Wendy's. The Frosty's are the best; it takes some serious restraint and discipline not to partake on a regular basis.

The ultimate breakfast sandwich at Jack-n-the-Box is slammin'.

Yall are making me hungry. These post are gonna make me go to Wendy's. It's been a while since I have been. Those spicy chicken sandwiches are really good. I prefer the batter-fried eventhough it's not as healthy. Most grilled chicken is better, just not at Wendy's. The Frosty's are the best; it takes some serious restraint and discipline not to partake on a regular basis.

Man I know, it's tough not to get a Frosty all the time. Every time I pass a Wendy's I'm suddenly in the mood for a big Frosty. :D

:D:D

I thought I remembered having a photo of the streetcar with the Fatburger sign, and sure enough here it is... click the attachment below:

post-9805-1151696072_thumb.jpg

post-9805-1151696072_thumb.jpg

Archived