Louisiana Cuisine

Mith242

Oops, I somehow forgot about this topic. I thought I had seen something about coffee being big in New Orleans a long time before the current coffee trend came around. I don't quite remember but I was thinking I had even seen something about some styles of coffee popular in New Orleans. I can't totally recall now though, maybe it was some dark roasts or something.

I've actually seen that up here and had it before. That's still not quite my style but you are getting a lot closer than the other beers you guys have mentioned. :lol:

Closer than what.... MAINSTREAM beers that everyone else drinks!?!?

:lol:

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oops, I somehow forgot about this topic. I thought I had seen something about coffee being big in New Orleans a long time before the current coffee trend came around. I don't quite remember but I was thinking I had even seen something about some styles of coffee popular in New Orleans. I can't totally recall now though, maybe it was some dark roasts or something.

I've actually seen that up here and had it before. That's still not quite my style but you are getting a lot closer than the other beers you guys have mentioned. :lol:

One thing you'll see alot of down here is coffee sweetened with chicory. That's always been very popular in New Orleans, and is something you won't find much of outside of the city. For example, the signature coffee's that Cafe Du Monde is famous for are all sweetened with chicory, rather than simply your average sweeteners.

And I'm glad to hear that you kind of, almost, sort of, liked Abita Beer! :lol: The Abita Brewery is only about 5 miles from my home, in Abita Springs. Abita Springs also has its own water bottling company that bottles spring water from, you guessed it, the Abita Springs, and that brand of bottled water is very popular in south Louisiana and south Mississippi.

abita_springs.gif

One thing you'll see alot of down here is coffee sweetened with chicory. That's always been very popular in New Orleans, and is something you won't find much of outside of the city. For example, the signature coffee's that Cafe Du Monde is famous for are all sweetened with chicory, rather than simply your average sweeteners.

And I'm glad to hear that you kind of, almost, sort of, liked Abita Beer! :lol: The Abita Brewery is only about 5 miles from my home, in Abita Springs. Abita Springs also has its own water bottling company that bottles spring water from, you guessed it, the Abita Springs, and that brand of bottled water is very popular in south Louisiana and south Mississippi.

abita_springs.gif

Yeah I think I've heard a little about chicory in coffee. As far as spring water, springs are rather common all over the Ozarks so there isn't one big popluar brand really. If anything it would have to be Mountain Valley down in Hot Springs. It's seems to be a pretty big popluar brand throughout the area. But on to another question. One of my coworkers is from southern Arkansas much closer to the border than where I grew up. So he is a bit more familiar with Louisiana cuisine and such. Today he was saying something about Boudin sausage. The only sausage I've really heard about is andouille sausage. Just curious if anyone had more info on the different sausages.

Yeah I think I've heard a little about chicory in coffee. As far as spring water, springs are rather common all over the Ozarks so there isn't one big popluar brand really. If anything it would have to be Mountain Valley down in Hot Springs. It's seems to be a pretty big popluar brand throughout the area. But on to another question. One of my coworkers is from southern Arkansas much closer to the border than where I grew up. So he is a bit more familiar with Louisiana cuisine and such. Today he was saying something about Boudin sausage. The only sausage I've really heard about is andouille sausage. Just curious if anyone had more info on the different sausages.

You can even get Boudin in Texarkana! ;)

And as for the different Louisiana sausages, I leave it to Nate...

Today he was saying something about Boudin sausage. The only sausage I've really heard about is andouille sausage. Just curious if anyone had more info on the different sausages.

Oh..Boudin sausage... :D

Boudin(pronounced "boo-dan" suasages are very popular in many dishes, including my favorite "Boudin Balls" all over Louisiana, and you'll find it used alot in central and south Louisiana. Here is some info on the main types of Boudin that you'll find used in Louisiana. You'll find Boudin used very much in Cajun cuisine.

Boudin blanc

A type of sausage made from a milk or pork rice dressing wrapped in pork skin. Pork liver and heart meat are typically included. Rice is more frequently used in Cajun cuisine, whereas the French version tends to use milk, and is therefore generally more delicate than the Cajun variety. Although the sausage wrap is edible, the stuffing is typically squeezed out of one end. In Cajun cuisine, it is often served with cracklins (fried pig skins) and saltine crackers. Boudin Blanc dressing is also used to make Boudin balls. The dressing is not stuffed into a casing but formed into a ball around a cheese center, then rolled in breading and deep fat fried.<<No wonder everyone is fat down here! ;)

Boudin noir

A dark-hued French blood sausage or Cajun sausage containing pork, rice, pig blood, and other ingredients.

Boudin rouge

In Louisiana cuisine, a sausage similar to boudin blanc, but with pork blood added to it. It originated from the French boudin noir.

I have something else to mention for this topic. More beverage than cuisine. I read an article in the paper up here talking about absinthe. It mentioned that New Orleans was the only place in the US that it really ever took off before it became illegal. Of course it was a big thing in Europe for quite a while. The article focused on one guy trying to bring it back and surprise surprise, he's from New Orleans. He mentions that the drink has a bad reputation that it doesn't really deserve. Absinthe became big after the phylloxera outbreak in Europe that killed much of the grapevines. As a result wine and cognac suddenly became very expensive. So people then turned to absinthe and it became rather popular. Supposedly the bad reputation came about whne the wine industry got back on it's feet and had to deal with the drink that had taken it's place. Supposedly the wine industry were the ones who started the anti-absinthe campaign. Absinthe does contain thujone which can cause health problems is consumed in large enough doses. But the article mentioned to consume enough to see the results that you'd probably get alcohol poisoning first. But the damage to it's image was done and it became illegal almost everywhere and eventually people even forgot how to make it. You can supposedly find it around but it's not apparently 'real' absinthe. But now they think they have it now in part to today's technology to test samples from the 1800's. Anyway just thought it was an interesting article, especially with the ties to New Orleans.

I do know that absinthe became very popular in New Orleans at one point, probably more so than anywhere else in the country. I hadn't heard about local New Orleanians trying to bring the drink back, but that doesn't suprise me at all.

I do know that absinthe became very popular in New Orleans at one point, probably more so than anywhere else in the country. I hadn't heard about local New Orleanians trying to bring the drink back, but that doesn't suprise me at all.

Yeah from what I read it was really the only place in the US that it became big. The guy trying to bring it back isn't some kook either. He's a scientist who first became interested in it as he was trying to break down an old sample to study it's chemistry. It was then that he became very interested in absinthe and the thought of trying to help possibly re-establish it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It's amazing how when you're a little bit hungry, and you start talking about food, you suddenly feel like you haven't eaten in days.

I was a little hungry, but figured I didn't actually need to eat anything. But then I started talking about Greek food, and Canes, and Beignets, and the next thing I know, I'm out in the kitchen eating leftover turkey and apple pie. :lol:

It's amazing how when you're a little bit hungry, and you start talking about food, you suddenly feel like you haven't eaten in days.

I was a little hungry, but figured I didn't actually need to eat anything. But then I started talking about Greek food, and Canes, and Beignets, and the next thing I know, I'm out in the kitchen eating leftover turkey and apple pie. :lol:

No, I'm not too fond of the deep fried turkeys. I've had them, and I usually like fried foods, but that just didn't make me want more. This was just a cooked turkey, injected and rubbed with Cajun seasonings. It was VERY spicy but VERY good.

Archived