Louisiana Cuisine

Mith242

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay...okay.... as I read through the entire 22 pages of this thread today, I knew things would go awry when you guys started discussing beer! :P I'm going to add my 2 cents since I've lived in both places:

North Louisiana: (when I lived there 1970-1992)

1. lots of Tex-Mex

2. habenero peppers/ jalepeno peppers (again, Tex Mex)

3. lots of "down home" country cooking places - especially on the outskirts of town and in Ruston (If you've gone to Tech or lived in Ruston, then you'll know what I mean when I say Blue Light Cafe or Bee's! I can almost taste the hot water cornbread as we speak!)

4. more barbeque than in South La.

5. seafood in the way of all-you-can-eat catfish and hushpuppies

6. best pies on Earth!

7. order sandwiches with lettuce, tomato, pickle and desired condiments (see #7 below)

8. It's called a snow CONE because they used to come in cones! (We know what a real snowball is! It's what you throw when it snows enough to make 'em!)

9. shrimp have heads???

10. (at the time I lived there) blue laws prohibiting liquor sales on Sundays. Dry parishes here and there...

South Louisiana (what I know so far)

1. lots of seafood

2. lots of cayenne

3. Cajun and Creole food reigns supreme

4. barbeque seafood and barbeque shrimp

5. seafood in the way of anything you can think of and lots you never have thought of!!!

6. best donuts on Earth (beignets)

7. order sandwiches dressed. How about a debris sandwich from Muthers? (Debris is what drops off a roast into the gravy while cooking.) If you're really adventurous - which I'm not - you will find French Fry Po-boys drowning in gravy. (not appetizing in any sense, IMHO, but people swear by them!)

8. It's called a Snow Ball stand because they never have enough snow to know what a real snowball is. Oh....and you can get flavors like New Orleans Nectar Soda.

9. shrimp most definitely have heads. It's nothing to people down here to eat food that you have to decapitate yourself first. (ie - crawfish and shrimp)

10. DRIVE THRU daiquiri shops with the strongest daiquiris you've ever sucked through a taped-on straw! (They tape the straw to the top so that you can slip through the open container law.)

There you have it! Oh....one more..... South Louisiana has the BEST bread on Earth, and I'm not talking about that tough French bread that Nate loves (I'm trying to get used to that stuff still) and it's BUNNY BREAD! It's soft, white bread like the Holsum bread you have in Shreveport, but better!

Okay...okay.... as I read through the entire 22 pages of this thread today, I knew things would go awry when you guys started discussing beer! :P I'm going to add my 2 cents since I've lived in both places:

North Louisiana: (when I lived there 1970-1992)

1. lots of Tex-Mex

2. habenero peppers/ jalepeno peppers (again, Tex Mex)

3. lots of "down home" country cooking places - especially on the outskirts of town and in Ruston (If you've gone to Tech or lived in Ruston, then you'll know what I mean when I say Blue Light Cafe or Bee's! I can almost taste the hot water cornbread as we speak!)

4. more barbeque than in South La.

5. seafood in the way of all-you-can-eat catfish and hushpuppies

6. best pies on Earth!

7. order sandwiches with lettuce, tomato, pickle and desired condiments (see #7 below)

8. It's called a snow CONE because they used to come in cones! (We know what a real snowball is! It's what you throw when it snows enough to make 'em!)

9. shrimp have heads???

10. (at the time I lived there) blue laws prohibiting liquor sales on Sundays. Dry parishes here and there...

South Louisiana (what I know so far)

1. lots of seafood

2. lots of cayenne

3. Cajun and Creole food reigns supreme

4. barbeque seafood and barbeque shrimp

5. seafood in the way of anything you can think of and lots you never have thought of!!!

6. best donuts on Earth (beignets)

7. order sandwiches dressed. How about a debris sandwich from Muthers? (Debris is what drops off a roast into the gravy while cooking.) If you're really adventurous - which I'm not - you will find French Fry Po-boys drowning in gravy. (not appetizing in any sense, IMHO, but people swear by them!)

8. It's called a Snow Ball stand because they never have enough snow to know what a real snowball is. Oh....and you can get flavors like New Orleans Nectar Soda.

9. shrimp most definitely have heads. It's nothing to people down here to eat food that you have to decapitate yourself first. (ie - crawfish and shrimp)

10. DRIVE THRU daiquiri shops with the strongest daiquiris you've ever sucked through a taped-on straw! (They tape the straw to the top so that you can slip through the open container law.)

There you have it! Oh....one more..... South Louisiana has the BEST bread on Earth, and I'm not talking about that tough French bread that Nate loves (I'm trying to get used to that stuff still) and it's BUNNY BREAD! It's soft, white bread like the Holsum bread you have in Shreveport, but better!

I still haven't had a deep fried turkey yet. But I did get to try some boudin over the holiday. My Mom had done some traveling before the Thanksgiving holiday visiting relatives. She had a family member fix her some. I was a bit surprised we don't have any New Orleans connections but apparently he used to be a chef at a restaurant around Nashville and that's how he came across it. I've never seen it in my area of Arkansas but I was able to find some in southern Arkansas visiting family. Pretty interesting, never really had a sausage quite like that before. I'm guessing it would have been classified as a boudin blanc.

I still haven't had a deep fried turkey yet. But I did get to try some boudin over the holiday. My Mom had done some traveling before the Thanksgiving holiday visiting relatives. She had a family member fix her some. I was a bit surprised we don't have any New Orleans connections but apparently he used to be a chef at a restaurant around Nashville and that's how he came across it. I've never seen it in my area of Arkansas but I was able to find some in southern Arkansas visiting family. Pretty interesting, never really had a sausage quite like that before. I'm guessing it would have been classified as a boudin blanc.

The stuff I found in Arkansas was just something I came across at a Wal-mart Supercenter. So I'm not sure how that would compare to others. Yeah I did like it. It was a bit weird though, I've never had a sausage that had something like rice in it. But it was certainly a nice change. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to try out the many different bratwursts that they have over in Germany. But this was certainly a nice change to the typical sausage/bratwurst I've had. I think over in Germany most of the cities have their own style of sausage/bratwurst.

I've had Boudin in many states across the South, and I stick to what I've believed for a very long time, the best Boudin anywhere is in south Louisiana, particularly south-central Louisiana. I've had it in Mississippi, Alabama, Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, and even Oklahoma. Nothing even comes close. :D

Yes I know what's in it, but it's not like most of the local food that I love is any better, if you think about it! :lol:

I've had Boudin in many states across the South, and I stick to what I've believed for a very long time, the best Boudin anywhere is in south Louisiana, particularly south-central Louisiana. I've had it in Mississippi, Alabama, Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, and even Oklahoma. Nothing even comes close. :D

Yes I know what's in it, but it's not like most of the local food that I love is any better, if you think about it! :lol:

I finally got my wife to buy me a deep fryer today. :) What's the first thing I cooked? Buffalo wings!! Made my wing sauce, cooked my wings, tossed 'em in the sauce, and loved every bite! I'd made Buffalo wings in the past but I didn't have a deep fryer so I had to use a recipe that called for baking them. Fried are MUCH better... just like Wing Stop or Buffalo Wild Wings! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I tried Cane's for the first time in nearly 2 years a couple of days ago, and I still don't really like it, but I can definately deal with it now. That's a big improvement over gagging just from driving by a Cane's.

Just a refresher if anyone doesn't remember or know, I used to absolutely love Cane's, behind only Popeyes in the chicken department. Then I had some Cane's, got extremely sick, and since then haven't even been able to think about the place without almost throwing up. And the illness wasn't even a result of the Cane's, it was just the last meal I had before getting extremely sick. It's weird how stuff like that can happen to you.

I tried Cane's for the first time in nearly 2 years a couple of days ago, and I still don't really like it, but I can definately deal with it now. That's a big improvement over gagging just from driving by a Cane's.

Just a refresher if anyone doesn't remember or know, I used to absolutely love Cane's, behind only Popeyes in the chicken department. Then I had some Cane's, got extremely sick, and since then haven't even been able to think about the place without almost throwing up. And the illness wasn't even a result of the Cane's, it was just the last meal I had before getting extremely sick. It's weird how stuff like that can happen to you.

That reminds me of a time I went to a Logan's Roadhouse in Mobile and went to the bathroom, opened up the stall and saw puke all over the toilet seat. How gross! I was still able to eat though. :D

And an even funnier story that happened just this week. Brace yourself, this is a long one. Their was a kid in my class that was extremely sick. When we went to lunch my friend and I were walking to the lunch room after going to the library when we instuntly halted by a huge puddle of puke with the kid I had mentioned early rushing away from the scene of the crime. My friend had lost her appetite, but I know my stomach would be growling so we went to eat lunch the other way. When we were walking back to class somebody in the hall slipped in the hall in puddle of vomit else were in the school. Another one of friends said that their was even more elswhere in the school. During the class the kid was sitting over the trash looking as if he would die, but refusing to go home.He then left the room and never came back.

Next hour there was a school wide intercom call for him.

The next day the principal gave us a lecture on using drugs and the consequences of it. As I found out latter in the day the sick kid had brought drugs to school and had swallolled some weed and oxycontin. The reason he had not come back was because he had passed out. He got expelled for 2 years, but I think it's kind of sad that he messed his life up so soon. -_-

Archived