Louisiana Cuisine

Mith242

Hey, Rod... I'll chime in because I certainly ain't skeered of a little alcohol! Actually, I stopped off this weekend just to get a little liquor to make buttery nipples for my wife and I. That's not something I do regularly, but she'd mentioned wanting to have a stiff drink and sit out on the patio in the gorgeous weather. Once I heard that idea, I pulled off the freeway and ran into the liquor store. I hadn't had a real drink in quite some time, so I figured it was due time.

Anyway, I know with Cajun cooking, most chefs like to cool with alcohol, but I don't know about alcohols that go with certain foods. Of course there are always the restaurants where they recommend a certain wine with a certain meal, but that's all I know about it to be honest.

And Louisiana is the last place where alcohol should kill a conversation! :D New Orleans has Bourbon Street and Shreveport's downtown nightclubs stay open until 6:00 am! And yes, I'm serious... 6:00 am! So to people in Louisiana, alcohol is, more often than not, a great topic of conversation! :D

Don't think I've ever heard of that drink before. Yeah this weekend I plan on buying some more tequila for Cinco de Mayo. :D Yeah I wasn't sure about the whole state but I figured alcohol was more open in some parts of the state compared to much of the rest of the south. So do you prefer mixed drinks, beer, wine, hard liquor?

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't think I've ever heard of that drink before. Yeah this weekend I plan on buying some more tequila for Cinco de Mayo. :D Yeah I wasn't sure about the whole state but I figured alcohol was more open in some parts of the state compared to much of the rest of the south. So do you prefer mixed drinks, beer, wine, hard liquor?

You've never heard of a buttery nipple!? I knew what those were in high school! :lol: Maybe I shouldn't be telling people that... :whistling:

Personally, I prefer beer; I'm a Budweiser man myself. That's why I enjoyed my visit to the Anheuser-Busch Brewery in St. Louis so much! But when I have a drink other than beer, I prefer mixed drinks over wine. And on the occasion that I must drink wine, I like a good White Zinfandel.

You've never heard of a buttery nipple!? I knew what those were in high school! :lol: Maybe I shouldn't be telling people that... :whistling:

Personally, I prefer beer; I'm a Budweiser man myself. That's why I enjoyed my visit to the Anheuser-Busch Brewery in St. Louis so much! But when I have a drink other than beer, I prefer mixed drinks over wine. And on the occasion that I must drink wine, I like a good White Zinfandel.

Nope I've never heard of it. Could it be a regional thing? But since we keep mentioning it what's the recipe?

Nope I've never heard of it. Could it be a regional thing? But since we keep mentioning it what's the recipe?

Nope, definitely not regional... I've had them in many other areas. I even had a few of 'em when I got married in Jamaica. It's a very simple shot to make... 1 ounce of Buttershots to 1/2 ounce of Bailey's. Pour the Buttershots in and then let the Bailey's float on top.

Nope, definitely not regional... I've had them in many other areas. I even had a few of 'em when I got married in Jamaica. It's a very simple shot to make... 1 ounce of Buttershots to 1/2 ounce of Bailey's. Pour the Buttershots in and then let the Bailey's float on top.

Yeah I had to go help out a friend a little bit ago and asked if he had heard of them and he had so I guess it's just me. :lol:

Yeah I had to go help out a friend a little bit ago and asked if he had heard of them and he had so I guess it's just me. :lol:

Well now that you know how to make one, I seriously suggest you try one. That is, if you like sweet things... which I certainly do.

Sorry I haven't been active in this thread recently guys, I've been pretty busy.

Anyway, I've definately heard of, and know how to make a Buttery Nipple. :thumbsup: They're pretty tasty.

Oh and Rod, Louisiana(especially New Orleans) is not a state that shy's away from alchohol. From Crawfish Boil's in south Louisiana to BBQ's in north Louisiana, you'll find some kind of alchohol, trust me. And I'm sure you know about the infamous Bourbon Street, which is basically just alchohol all night long.

I just got back from Cane's! :D

I haven't eaten there in many months since I don't live in this area anymore. But since I work out this way and I usually haunt the same places day in and day out, I figured it would be a nice change. Man, I'd forgotten just HOW good that place is! Mmmmmm it was great! :)

I just got back from Cane's! :D

I haven't eaten there in many months since I don't live in this area anymore. But since I work out this way and I usually haunt the same places day in and day out, I figured it would be a nice change. Man, I'd forgotten just HOW good that place is! Mmmmmm it was great! :)

What kind of place is Cane's?

That place is addictive.

It REALLY is. It's a good thing I moved 25 miles across town. Otherwise, I'd still be eating there all the time. And it's not really convenient at lunch since I have to go through some really big intersections to get there. So today was a bit of a treat, and I love it. I took 4 other guys there, a couple of whom had never been there before and they loved it. All the good-looking women go there too. :)

Rod, if you get one in your area, which I'm sure you will as time goes on, you'll love it. It's a Baton Rouge-based business and they're expanding rapidly.

Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers!

Awesome. Absolutely awesome. The "Cane's Sauce" can't be beat. It just can't.

What kind of sauce is it? I noticed it looks like it's mainly in Louisiana with a few outside the state. I think I saw one in Oklahoma, two in Texas and three in Mississippi but still none here in Arkansas though.

What kind of sauce is it? I noticed it looks like it's mainly in Louisiana with a few outside the state. I think I saw one in Oklahoma and Texas but still none here in Arkansas though.

You know, I really don't know how to describe it. It's just different. But good... really, REALLY good. It's a pinkish color and it's extremely rich. Mayo-based, I'm sure. Man I want some more of it!! :)

I even passed up free food at the bowling alley a little while ago just to eat there.

You know, I'm really not a big fan of Canes. I used to love that place, and then I ate some of their food, and got a stomach virus right after. And since then, I can't even look at that place withougt gagging. I don't know why, but it happened with the Reese's Fast Break bar too, which I loved until I got sick, and now I think it's disgusting. Hopefully I'll start to like Canes chicken again, because I still love the sauce!

You know, I'm really not a big fan of Canes. I used to love that place, and then I ate some of their food, and got a stomach virus right after. And since then, I can't even look at that place withougt gagging. I don't know why, but it happened with the Resee's Fast Break bar too, which I loved until I got sick, and now I think it's disgusting. Hopefully I'll start to like Canes chicken again, because I still love the sauce!

Hey, man, it happens! There's a Chinese Buffet in Shreveport called Hong Kong City that I literally used to eat at once a week. One day I went into the bathroom and there was vomit everywhere. Before I realized it, I'd been standing in it. I could smell it, see it, and feel it squishing beneath my feet. It was absolutely repulsive. I seriously haven't been there since, because the mere thought of their food reminds me of that one horrible occasion.

You know, I'm really not a big fan of Canes. I used to love that place, and then I ate some of their food, and got a stomach virus right after. And since then, I can't even look at that place withougt gagging. I don't know why, but it happened with the Reese's Fast Break bar too, which I loved until I got sick, and now I think it's disgusting. Hopefully I'll start to like Canes chicken again, because I still love the sauce!

Yeah it seems to work that way if you ever happen to get sick like that. Even if it was a stomach virus and didn't necessarily have to do with the food there itself.

Yeah it seems to work that way if you ever happen to get sick like that. Even if it was a stomach virus and didn't necessarily have to do with the food there itself.

Yea, the virus didn't have anything to do with the food, but it was the last thing I ate before I got sick. I'm glad I wasn't eating crawfish or shrimp at that time instead! ;)

Yea, the virus didn't have anything to do with the food, but it was the last thing I ate before I got sick. I'm glad I wasn't eating crawfish or shrimp at that time instead! ;)

I have a feeling you'd have gotten over it real fast with crawfish or shrimp. They're just too deeply-rooted in the cultures in Louisiana to ever give up on them.

I have a feeling you'd have gotten over it real fast with crawfish or shrimp. They're just too deeply-rooted in the cultures in Louisiana to ever give up on them.

Yea, and the Canes in Covington had just opened.

The tax dollars are a huge incentive, but everyone over the age of 21 should have access to alcohol. Dang it, it makes ugly girls pretty and it just makes you feel goooood! :D

The town I live in now is dry, as is the next town to my east. Just outside the town limits is a Pilot truck stop where I can buy beer, but If I want something stronger than beer I have to drive to Bossier City. Dang it. I hate small towns.

Sorry for the jump here. This is from an northwest Arkansas topic. But the question I had was more for Louisiana. I was curious where you can buy alcohol from. You can't buy any alcohol in gas stations and such here in Arkansas. IN wet counties it's mainly just liquor stores. You can buy beer and wine coolers in grocery stores of almost all wet counties. My county seems to be the one exception. Anyway I was curious how it's set up in Louisiana.

^All over south Louisiana, you can get alcohol at any gas station, convenience stores, supermarket, etc. Pretty much any place that could possibly make money off of selling alcohol sells it. Brian can probably give you more info about the situation in north Louisiana.

^All over south Louisiana, you can get alcohol at any gas station, convenience stores, supermarket, etc. Pretty much any place that could possibly make money off of selling alcohol sells it. Brian can probably give you more info about the situation in north Louisiana.

But can you get all types of alcohol at all those locations? I know in Oklahoma you can buy beer at gas stations but nothing stronger. While in New Mexico you can buy just about any alcohol anywhere it seems. :lol:

But can you get all types of alcohol at all those locations? I know in Oklahoma you can buy beer at gas stations but nothing stronger. While in New Mexico you can buy just about any alcohol anywhere it seems. :lol:

You can get basically any alcohol you desire in a supermarket here, and I'm pretty sure some gas stations sell whiskey, but for the most part gas stations have beer, alcoholic mix drinks, and mixes for drinks. It's not hard to get alcohol here at all, as all you have to do is find a Win-Dixie or something, and you'll be able to find whatever you're looking for.

Archived