West End Summit update

william

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is West End Summit going to get beyond proposal stage? What is the likelihood?

Well, it's in its 3rd and most advanced incarnation. It's certainly years and years in the making. Hotel is signed, one restaurant is signed, condo agent selected, and apparently some office tenants are on board. Of course none of this means much, but it does seem to be moving forward. Can't imagine paying property taxes on that block of land. Does anyone happen to have a rendering of the very, very first WES proposal? I'd like to post all three for comparison.

I believe one exists on SSP under projects.

No, that rendering on SSP is the 2nd version. The very first version consisted of two perpedicular slab buildings with green glass. One building was sited much like the taller one in the current proposal, and if i remember correctly the other was set back from West End and parallel to Hayes Street. I may have a Tennessean at home somewhere with the first proposal. If so, I'll scan it and place all three together in this thread.

No, that rendering on SSP is the 2nd version. The very first version consisted of two perpedicular slab buildings with green glass. One building was sited much like the taller one in the current proposal, and if i remember correctly the other was set back from West End and parallel to Hayes Street. I may have a Tennessean at home somewhere with the first proposal. If so, I'll scan it and place all three together in this thread.

I remember seeing that rendering in 2002 or so. If you have the original renderings it would be nice to see them again.

I thought it was pretty sweet how the website described the West End Summit as being "impeccably" located, as if the building had done a back-hand-spring off the pommel horse and scored a flat landing on West End. Boy, that's a leader isn't it?

West End Summit Unveiled

Dual Towers Impeccably Located, Intractibly Crazysexycool

There was a full page ad in the Tennessean this morning. Palmer must have paid a "pretty penny" for that. It says groundbreaking will take place first quarter 2007, and the project will be finished 1st quarter 2009. It says that both towers will be built. Here we go again. Will it really get started then? I hope so, but I

l'll beleive it when I see it.

I really like the look of this project and I hope it comes to fruition. I just really wish they hadn't torn down the old lodge for it. That was a neat building!! Still, I'd rather something nice looking be built in it's place than an empty lot of a dream that never came about!!

I heard that Brasfiled & Gorrie recently decided not to pursue WES. Given that they've been Alex's contractor of choice for the last several years I thought that was interesting. Has Duke32 or anyone else heard this ? What exactly is the official story out of Palmer about what needs to happen for them to start ? They obviously need to get the hotel financing put together but I assume that they'll need to have about half of the condos sold as well. Other than the restaurant I haven't heard of any signed tenants for the office tower.

I thought it was pretty sweet how the website described the West End Summit as being "impeccably" located, as if the building had done a back-hand-spring off the pommel horse and scored a flat landing on West End. Boy, that's a leader isn't it?

West End Summit Unveiled

Dual Towers Impeccably Located, Intractibly Crazysexycool

As they say "sometimes the best defense is a good offense".

I heard that Brasfiled & Gorrie recently decided not to pursue WES.

That's odd. I know that they are still in negotiations with Palmer on the project and right now, they are the only contractor taking bids from subcontractors and suppliers.

• 2 weeks later...

West End will be booming with future projects over the next few years, including what Vanderbilt is doing. I am sure Palmer will get this done. I had my doubts, but I think this will happen now. My friends in the hotel industry have assured me the Intercontinental and the W on the roundabout is happening. The hotel business is abuzz with excitement and nervousness right now.

I asked but he wasn't telling. He did say that the hotels would be part of a larger development that included retail, office, condo's and a parking structure. It has been posted before but he also said the Eakin was finalizing plans for their property on Demonbreun (the tire service center) near the Gulch.

The area from the Gulch to the Roundabout is going to a buzz with activity over the next couple of years. You will have the Lionstone Group development, The Rhythm Lofts, plus the Eakin project @ 12th & Demonbreun that will be big, Rumor has it. The entire Demonbreun corridor will have a lot more density on it over the next 5 years if the CC is built there. That will be very interesting to see.

Archived