West End Summit update

william

This is tough news, and while I hope it doesn't turn out that way, I'm inclined to believe it. Palmer may just be unable to convince a bank to lend money on an office tower only 20 - 25% leased when it's pretty clear that the Crown is going to be built and with Sun Trust under construction.

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is dead and I hear the land will be put up for sale in 2007 and a new developer will build the Intercontinental. There will be no office tower because of the 12% vacancy rate in downtown, and the fact we now have approval for the Bass, Berry, and Sims Tower. Suntrust Plaza will also be open in December 2007 and Eakin Partners want to do an office tower on 12th avenue near the McDonalds.

Well, it's in its 3rd and most advanced incarnation. It's certainly years and years in the making. Hotel is signed, one restaurant is signed, condo agent selected, and apparently some office tenants are on board. Of course none of this means much, but it does seem to be moving forward. Can't imagine paying property taxes on that block of land. Does anyone happen to have a rendering of the very, very first WES proposal? I'd like to post all three for comparison.

I don't remember too much about what actually sat behind the West End property, but I do remember test driving a brand new 1974 MGB from the dealership which sold MGBs and Jaguars. The lots eventually became a Mitsubishi lot (something else before that), there was a car wash (the best imo at the time), and a small used car lot. Between them all was the lodge building. I'm looking for pictures I was able to take just before the demolition, including interior through the plywood coverings I was able to pry open. The building's true historical significance is big question mark for me. I'm under the impression it was built as a lodge with nothing truly redeeming about it except the beautiful stained glass windows, which survive today in another lodge building (if the plans for such materialized). I too, would like to know for sure, but all the history texts I searched in make no mention of this structure.

IMO, the main success in saving the building wasn't the building itself, but the little guy beating the big buy and having their building nestle within the context of a massive office/hotel development. There would have been something romantic about that. But romance knows its bounds, and when money talks, sentiment bites the dust, as did this building. I'll keep looking, but so far, nothing.

Jeeper are you a NashvillePost subscriber? :D Indeed, he pulled a permit to do a sales office and model in Palmer Plaza. I could only presume that it is for the condo sales across the street but no one from his office confirmed it. He is spending $350,000 on that space, which of course in addition to the architectural drawings of a building that looks a little like the tail fins of some of those 1950s land sharks, just fancier.

Yes, I am. If he's claiming that much on his permit app I'd guess he'll have closer to a million in it after "real" construction dollars and all the other trappings involved...I saw his model in the lobby of Palmer Plaza a few weeks ago and my reaction was that, if built, I hope the buildings turn out to look much more like the renderings than the model.

Like Girantanna, I guess, he plans to put his sales center up in a tower off site rather than in more of a retail type space. I haven't ever seen this done successfully but I guess there's a first time for everything.

• 4 weeks later...
I guess it must NOT be a dead project then. I've gone back and forth about the prospects of this project becoming a reality. I really hope it does, but this requires a level of patience that could be more than I have.

It says the Intercontinental Hotel will have 285 rooms. Add to that the Westin, a near 100% probability, with 375 rooms, the Hotel Palomar, a high probability with about 150 rooms, the Sounds project hotel with about 150 rooms, the rumored "W", the Hampton Inn suites, and about three other hotels and you have well over 1000 new hotel rooms added to the midtown and downtown areas. And this is without the New Convention Center. Can Nashville support this many new hotel rooms?

Archived