Pleasant Ridge Town Center

mcheiss

Thanks for the update. We have a Belk's in Paragould, which used to be located downtown. When it was there it was nothing like the national chain. It was more like a locally owned department store with very few of the big names in clothing. Once they moved to the west end of town (the shopping/entertainment area), they totally changed their look and lineup. It's just like a Dillards or Macy's now. Best thing we have in Paragould IMO.

I remember the Paragould Belk store

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've not heard that. It would surprise me to learn that the site has been developed to accomodate two department store anchors.

I've seen the site and driven around it. There is no developed area for a 2nd dept store and I'm not sure where it would go. I can't remember seeing a space where a 2nd dept store anchor could be built. Land is limited because of the hillside behind the development. Of course, to get Macy's he might tear down some of the existing development around the Pleasant Ridge Towne Center.

It is possible that Macy's opted to take Parisian's location now or after it was to be converted to a Belk's since that lease was going to be broken.

Here's the plan for the development in case you're trying to figure out where a second anchor would go...

site_plan_prtc_lg.gif

I've seen the site and driven around it. There is no developed area for a 2nd dept store and I'm not sure where it would go. I can't remember seeing a space where a 2nd dept store anchor could be built. Land is limited because of the hillside behind the development. Of course, to get Macy's he might tear down some of the existing development around the Pleasant Ridge Towne Center.

It is possible that Macy's opted to take Parisian's location now or after it was to be converted to a Belk's since that lease was going to be broken.

Here's the plan for the development in case you're trying to figure out where a second anchor would go...

site_plan_prtc_lg.gif

It is more likely that, should Macy's come to LR, it is not going to be in the Pleasant Ridge Towne Center.

It is more likely that, should Macy's come to LR, it is not going to be in the Pleasant Ridge Towne Center.

I agree. Furthermore, if I were Macy's that is NOT the shopping center I would opt for. There won't be much foot traffic if any.

I would like to see Macy's in McCain and also in a reborn complex of some sort where University now stands.

If LR ever has a chance to build something special - bring in a Macy's, Saks/Nordstrom (I realize how unlikely that would be, Cheesecake Factory, etc in an upscale complex it would be at the old University site.

I might just be dreaming on that one, though.

I agree. Furthermore, if I were Macy's that is NOT the shopping center I would opt for. There won't be much foot traffic if any.

I would like to see Macy's in McCain and also in a reborn complex of some sort where University now stands.

If LR ever has a chance to build something special - bring in a Macy's, Saks/Nordstrom (I realize how unlikely that would be, Cheesecake Factory, etc in an upscale complex it would be at the old University site.

I might just be dreaming on that one, though.

Apork, just curious why you don't think this shopping center will get much foot traffic. It seems that with so much development going out west Hwy. 10 that Pleasant Ridge would get it's fair share of attention.

Apork, just curious why you don't think this shopping center will get much foot traffic. It seems that with so much development going out west Hwy. 10 that Pleasant Ridge would get it's fair share of attention.

Lack of size and major tenants, mostly. The total square footage and lack of big time tenants once Parisian is out is going to leave it as more of a local shopping center than a destination mall.

This development is in the 350,000 SF range and is pretty paltry compared to other projects planned in the state, though it is rather nice. It's just not a "destination" shopping center, especially with a Belk's as its anchor.

Your reasong makes sense. However if Macy's replaced Belk as the anchor, it becomes more of a destination center, and hopefully with better tenants, although the size of the shopping center is still relatively small. If Macy's claims they want to be in every state in the country (by 2008 if I'm not mistaken), then they may use this as an opportunity to break into LR if an offer is made. Especially since the Promenade at Chenal and University Mall sites are still uncertain, and there aren't many other opportunities around the city. My logic could be way off, but it makes sense to the voices in my head.

Your reasong makes sense. However if Macy's replaced Belk as the anchor, it becomes more of a destination center, and hopefully with better tenants, although the size of the shopping center is still relatively small. If Macy's claims they want to be in every state in the country (by 2008 if I'm not mistaken), then they may use this as an opportunity to break into LR if an offer is made. Especially since the Promenade at Chenal and University Mall sites are still uncertain, and there aren't many other opportunities around the city. My logic could be way off, but it makes sense to the voices in my head.

I agree it would become more of a destination if Macy's is there and if Macy's really wants to get into the Little Rock market (which it does based on its current goals) it would be a good place to do it.

The best place for Macy's to go would really be the Gateway Towne Center in terms of the size of the development if it's built. The problem is that Dillard's seems to be calling the shots on that one and is the lone dept store anchor. I doubt Macy's gets a chance to get into that.

Shackleford Crossing is too downscale for Macy's I think. I can't imagine a Macy's and Supercenter in the same development.

Promenade at Chenal makes sense, since it lacks an anchor, it's just that it's kind of isolated and I can't imagine why the plans would've changed to drop the dept store if Macy's was interested, it seems like they would've just replaced Dillard's with them. Plus, RED probably doesn't want to PO Dillard's.

There's a slot for a department store anchor in the Shoppes at North Hills' plans and I've wondered if Macy's was it. It could be Dunlap's, though, which is already going to open a store in Shackleford Crossing. It also could be a Belk's which is lacking in NLR.

The other thought I had, and keep in mind I know jack about what's really going on, is that Belk's was already planning a store in West LR at Shackleford Crossing. It makes sense considering the development. If that was true they would be eager to opt out of the Parisian location and allow Macy's to go in.

It has to be a local/non-chain restaurant. I did a search on it, and couldn't find anything. That is good because not everyone likes chains.

Few chains are upscale enough to serve USDA Prime and stone crabs and Arkansas unfortunately doesn't get many of those. I thought it might make a nice addition. West LR doesn't really have a prime steakhouse right now while there are two downtown, so the location might be a winner.

Lack of size and major tenants, mostly. The total square footage and lack of big time tenants once Parisian is out is going to leave it as more of a local shopping center than a destination mall.

This development is in the 350,000 SF range and is pretty paltry compared to other projects planned in the state, though it is rather nice. It's just not a "destination" shopping center, especially with a Belk's as its anchor.

I agree, Pleasant Ridge will not end up being a major center in any reasonable capacity. It is too small and lacks any real landmark tenants. MidTowne is even smaller, but it has THE tenants to make it quite viable, and honestly, it is in a denser part of town where some pedestrian traffic is more the norm, and is reinforced by the most significant retail "destination" center in the metro.

... also Cingular Wireless (Whooo Pig!) That is better than a mac store!

....tell me you are kidding.

Ok confirmed, but not public knowledge Borders Books has signed on to Pleasant Ridge. If I told you how I knew, I'd have to kill you,,,,should be announced within the month.

I cannot believe that Borders didn't opt for MidTowne (or both). I was told by a source who had direct correspondence with them about another center that they were worried about competition with Barnes and Noble (WHAT??!!?). So, they pick the location that is the closest? I would bet $100 that the traffic at MidTowne would have been greater....they would have made a killing. [Perhaps they couldn't find a suitable parcel at MidTowne?]

I cannot believe that Borders didn't opt for MidTowne (or both). I was told by a source who had direct correspondence with them about another center that they were worried about competition with Barnes and Noble (WHAT??!!?). So, they pick the location that is the closest? I would bet $100 that the traffic at MidTowne would have been greater....they would have made a killing. [Perhaps they couldn't find a suitable parcel at MidTowne?]

I'm with you, a midtown chain bookstore would make a KILLING. UALR and UAMS are close by and Hillcrest and the Heights are "bookish" neighborhoods. I think it was a much preferable location to Pleasant Ridge.

I think the guy WAS kidding about Cingular, there was certainly a sarcastic tone there.

Archived