Skybar NWA l Northwest Arkansas Off-topic

I saw 15 here just recently.

More than likely they were viewing the Minor League Baseball Threads, seeing as how were back down to 5 guests.

That's what I assumed, but everytime I checked that topic out there was hardly anyone there. It looks like they were checking something else out.

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was kind of surprised to read that Tyson's cutting a bunch of jobs, including 140 in NWA. I would assume they are trimming the administrative fat and that these are more white collar jobs. I didn't think Tyson was hurting that much, anyone know the scoop?

I would say they are trimming the sails a little bit.... they have brought a bunch of people in from all over the US...... you never know about Tyson.....

Al least Springdale has a new ballfield coming!!!!!!!!! Hopefully with lots of new resturants in the bargain :rofl:

But Walmart is starting their 2nd vender phase which will increase this area by 800,000 people over the next ten years.

Edited by slystephy

I would say they are trimming the sails a little bit.... they have brought a bunch of people in from all over the US...... you never know about Tyson.....

Al least Springdale has a new ballfield coming!!!!!!!!! Hopefully with lots of new resturants in the bargain :rofl:

But Walmart is starting their 2nd vender phase which will increase this area by 800,000 people over the next ten years.

800,000?

Do you mean 8000?

Of course the big news right now is Wal-Mart's attempt to get into the banking industry.

There is a bill that was proposed yesterday to prevent this and an FDIC spokesman argued strongly against allowing Wal-Mart to do it. If they do, though no doubt this could be a tremendous revenue stream and allow them growth in a completely different direction even without expanding their total number of stores.

Edited by Aporkalypse

800,000?

Do you mean 8000?

Of course the big news right now is Wal-Mart's attempt to get into the banking industry.

There is a bill that was proposed yesterday to prevent this and an FDIC spokesman argued strongly against allowing Wal-Mart to do it. If they do, though no doubt this could be a tremendous revenue stream and allow them growth in a completely different direction even without expanding their total number of stores.

FDIC doesn't want Wal-Mart to have it's own banking because they believe that Wal-Mart will open up "Wal-Mart Banks" everwhere. Wal-Mart's plan is simply to use it's own banking system so that way it doesn't have to go through a third party banker. It would allow a larger source of revenue that could hopefully be used for good someday.

I was kind of surprised to read that Tyson's cutting a bunch of jobs, including 140 in NWA. I would assume they are trimming the administrative fat and that these are more white collar jobs. I didn't think Tyson was hurting that much, anyone know the scoop?

Actually Tyson hasn't been doing too great lately. Although I think part of the problems stems from bans to certain meants in different countries.

FDIC doesn't want Wal-Mart to have it's own banking because they believe that Wal-Mart will open up "Wal-Mart Banks" everwhere. Wal-Mart's plan is simply to use it's own banking system so that way it doesn't have to go through a third party banker. It would allow a larger source of revenue that could hopefully be used for good someday.

Personally, I have no issues with it. I think the proposition to limit banking to institutions where finance makes up more than 85% of the business proposed in this bill is too constricting.

You must mean the 2nd Vendor Phase where hundreds of Vendors will start converting their satellite offices in NWA into regional offices like Proctor & Gamble is doing in Fayetteville. It's old news that many Vendors will eventually move their operations to NWA due to the fact that having seperate headquarters would be too costly. I don't know where you got 800,000 in ten years, but 8,000 per year for ten years sounds more likely. There just isn't enough infrastructure yet for Vendors to move their operations here and regional offices take years to build. I'd agree if you said that in ten years there will be at least two or three new corporate headquarters in NWA. My prediction is that Proctor & Gamble and Glad Products Company will call Northwest Arkansas their headquarters within ten years, with a couple more companies every two years following. By 2050 Northwest Arkansas will be home to the headquarters of at least ten Fortune 500 companies and about a hundred companies' home offices.

My prediction is that Proctor & Gamble and Glad Products Company will call Northwest Arkansas their headquarters within ten years, with a couple more companies every two years following. By 2050 Northwest Arkansas will be home to the headquarters of at least ten Fortune 500 companies and about a hundred companies' home offices.

I'm not sure I can see a company like Proctor & Gamble moving it's Headquarters from Cincinnati to here, or Glad for that matter. Remember that Proctor & Gamble employs 15,000 in Cincinnati and that Wal-Mart isn't the only company that P&G supplies to, (But is the largest).

I think NWA is going to continue seeing Vendors come to the area, but more with regional offices. I can see vendors like Disney, Kellogs, Clorox, Kimberly-Clark, Glad, Playtex, Hasbro, etc opening up regional offices in the near future.

I'm not sure I can see a company like Proctor & Gamble moving it's Headquarters from Cincinnati to here, or Glad for that matter. Remember that Proctor & Gamble employs 15,000 in Cincinnati and that Wal-Mart isn't the only company that P&G supplies to, (But is the largest).

I think NWA is going to continue seeing Vendors come to the area, but more with regional offices. I can see vendors like Disney, Kellogs, Clorox, Kimberly-Clark, Glad, Playtex, Hasbro, etc opening up regional offices in the near future.

Well it is just a prediction and NWA is really so unpredictable and so is Wal-Mart for that matter. Eventually, and depending on how much pressure Wal-Mart puts on them, some Vendors will find that moving their operations to NWA will actually be the only way they could cut costs of doing business with Wal-mart. If they have 100 people in NWA working on the Wal-Mart account, and according to current trends with Wal-Mart, it may some day be more cost effective to just move the entire operation here. It's all about the bottom line and not about which city they're in.

Anyway, even having a lot of regional offices will be nice. If these Vendors' satellite offices are usually 2 stories we can at least expect a lot more taller buildings from those Vendors and possibly multiple Vendors filling up highrise office towers.

I saw an interesting fact mentioned while watching news about Tyson getting rid of 140 jobs here in NWA. Apparently for the last 5 years NWA has been creating 600 jobs a month.

So, for a while there during the past couple of years 1,000 people were moving to fill 600 new jobs per month. I wonder what effect that will have on the unemployment rate or should I say underemployment rate where people are taking a job they're overqualified for until those better jobs are created in NWA.

So, for a while there during the past couple of years 1,000 people were moving to fill 600 new jobs per month. I wonder what effect that will have on the unemployment rate or should I say underemployment rate where people are taking a job they're overqualified for until those better jobs are created in NWA.

You have to remember that that 1,000 people number includes children, spouses, etc.

You have to remember that that 1,000 people number includes children, spouses, etc.

True. So that means NWA is getting several hundred jobs per month with noone to fill those jobs? It seems kind of messed up that NWA is building so many new jobs only to have underemployed people leave older jobs unfilled. It's a problem that will hurt quite a few Vendors that will be forced to hire underqualified people when all the qualified employees move up to better jobs. The problem is happening in Tampa, FL where tens of thousands of low paying ($10/hr) jobs are being filled by people that were used to making $50-100K per year.

Anyone interested in starting a list of vendors in NW AR ?

Everyone talks about the estimates but I am surprised no one has locked in on it yet, oficially.

Comments ???

It would be nice to know what vendors are here and maybe how many people they employee, what type of office they're in and what services they perform for their Wal-Mart accounts.

I'll start by listing all the IT vendors I know of in Northwest Arkansas that service Wal-Mart. There are probably others, but these are the largest IT vendors that service Wal-Mart.

Symbol Technologies, Inc. - Lease Space in Bentonville

Wachter Network Services, Inc. - Own Office in Lowell

IBM Corporation - Own Office in Bentonville

NCR Corporation - Own Office in Bentonville

Compucom Systems - Lease Space in Bentonville

If you want to get an idea of what type of service each of these vendors provides to Wal-Mart click on the links provided. I can't go into any detail because I work for one of these vendors.

Here's a few more.

The Nabisco Biscuit Company - Beau Terre, Bentonville

Rayovac Corporation - Beau Terre, Bentonville

Service Advantage, Inc. - Beau Terre, Bentonville

Hershey Chocolate - Beau Terre, Bentonville

The Clorox Company - Beau Terre, Bentonville

Hamilton Beach/Proctor-Silex - Beau Terre, Bentonville

Bayer Consumer Care - Beau Terre, Bentonville

Colgate-Palmolive Company - Rogers

Unilever Home and Personal Care - Rogers

Hormel Food Corporation - Pinnacle Hills, Rogers

Ocean Spray - Rogers

Frito-Lay - Lowell

Smuckers - Rogers

Dial Corporation - Rogers

Johnson & Johnson - Pinnacle Hills, Rogers

The Hoover Company - Pinnacle Hills, Rogers

Eastman Kodak Company - Pinnacle Hills, Rogers

OK at this point I would say if you want to know what vendors are located in NWA I suggest going to a nearby Wal-Mart and look at the manufacturer name of every product in the store... there ya go! :D

A 3 year old boy was crushed by a falling mirror at a Wal-Mart in Indianapolis. This was a horrible accident that I wouldn't wish on any parent. No amount of money can replace a child, but I hope that Wal-Mart is not only sued for an insane amount of money, but there should be a public apology made by the company on worldwide television. As if I wasn't paranoid enough about letting my son get more than a few inches away from me, especially at Wal-Mart!

Read one of these 62 newslinks here... Boy, 3, killed by falling mirror at Wal-Mart - Google News

Vice President Cheney will be in Northwest Arkansas today in response to Asa Hutchinson's bid for governor.

Cheney Visits the Natural State - The Associated Press

Edited by masons_dad1

Newsworthy crimes in Northwest Arkansas

July 19:

8: 19 a. m. A man at 15951 Beechnut Lane, Fayetteville, reported his trash can and trash stolen. I thought the garbage truck was supposed to do that? The trash can probably slipped!

8: 52 a. m. A woman at 621 N. Leverett Ave. reported her neighbors stealing her phone service. Now how does someone steal someone's phone service?

July 20:

11: 46 a. m. A woman on West Bel Air Drive reported a female neighbor