Restaurant Development in NW Arkansas

mcheiss

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slightly off the topic of pubs...I saw a permit on the Health departments website about a Sang's Restaurant coming in @3595-6 Shiloh in Fayetteville. Anyone have any info on what this is?

Actually no, I haven't heard anything. I guess my question is what section of Shiloh is that? I'm assuming over by the Mall. But there's also a section od Shiloh where the future Sam's is going too. I suppose that's a possibility as well.

Is Mickey Finn's Irish Pub pretty authentic?

You know, I haven't tried it out yet to be honest. Has anyone tried it out?

You know, I haven't tried it out yet to be honest. Has anyone tried it out?

I have been there twice and it does have a different atmosphere from the rest of Dickson, but I don't think I would really call it that Irish of a pub. It actually seems more like an Irish American pub from Boston/NYC more than from Ireland. A lot of that has to do with the average age of the people there though, plus the fact that most of the people there were drinking BudMilloors instead of anything import. I'll also add that during happy hour there domestic mass produced beer is really cheep, but microbrews and imports stay in the stratosphere. Hard to have a good Irish pub experience when a pint of Guiness or Harp costs $6 while Bud light is $1.50. Also noting that they don't serve any Irish food but DO serve hot wings (which are actually really good possibly the best wings I've ever had and I don't generally like chicken, but they are far from traditional fare).

Overall:

pub overall 4/5

pub as an "Irish pub" 2.5/5

On another note, if you want to really see it rocking, go during the WM shareholder's convention. A friend of mine went last year and he said it was PACKED with people FROM Ireland and it really kicked up the atmosphere and such. He said they even had some Gaelic music playing! I didn't know about this until after the convention was over though :/ I might try it again next year, but my wife would rather go out to more traditional ~25 year old hangouts (when we DO go out, which is actually pretty rare anyway).

The Crown Pub is the name of the pub next to Emelia's that I was talking about. I'll post a couple of pics a little later when I have some more time.

The name has a definite "English" ring to it. The only Crown Pub's I could find doing a Google search is one in Fort Collins, CO and one in New York City. I guess it will be affiliated with the Dickson Theater so I'm not too sure it will be an authentic English Pub, but it may be themed after one.

The name has a definite "English" ring to it. The only Crown Pub's I could find doing a Google search is one in Fort Collins, CO and one in New York City. I guess it will be affiliated with the Dickson Theater so I'm not too sure it will be an authentic English Pub, but it may be themed after one.

Yeah, sorry if I gave everyone the impression about it being an English themed pub. I have no idea how it's going to be set up, I couldn't remember the name and just remembered it made me think of something British. If I was to guess, I imagine it will have some British pub influence, but it might be a bit like Mickey Finn's and it's theme might be somewhat limiting.

Mickey Finn's doesn't have an Irish bar atmosphere at all but it does have the beers to market itself as such. There's no true Irish pub in the state which I've always found a bit surprising and irritating.

There's a chain called Fox and Hounds that bills itself as an English Pub with locations all over Texas and one in NLR near McCain. There's not one thing English about it, even the beers they serve. They're just sports bars with a lot of pool tables.

Well the sign has a British tiger or whatever sign in it.

Plus the building is red, who knows?

BTW, I like that home behind it, very beautiful.

Yeah I'm not sure if it's still used as a home or if it's been converted into some office space. That and a couple of other old homes on Dickson are quite nice, although they almost seem out of place now.

Great old building for a pub. I didn't realize that was where it was going.

Yeah glad they're going to finally do something with it. It's been rundown for quite a while. For a long time it looked like an old studio that no one had used for a long time. I was surprised it stayed that way for so long considering how much activity has been going on around the area. I guess maybe someone finally sold it.

Well, the Gazette confirmed that this will be the second Kobe in NWA, by the same company. This location will be twice the size of the Bentonville location. It will seat about 100 people and have 15 employees. Also, it will be in the Pizza Inn building.

The restaurant will have a sushi bar and hibachi grills.

Thanks for the early info acx_guy, you nailed this one. :thumbsup:

I wonder how many different companies there are with restaurans named 'Kobe' and 'Shogun.' Because I can find websites for some, but never for any that would make me believe there's a large national chain. We have a Kobe and two Shogun locations, in addition to a few other 'Japanese' steakhouses. I know the Shogun locations are owned by the same company... but who is it? I have no idea who owns our Kobe, but I've been told that years ago some Japanese chefs from our original Shogun restaurant left to do their own thing. I don't know if that's true or not, but seeing Shogun and Kobe restaurants all over the country has often left me wondering how many different companies there are and how they're all able to use the same names.

I wonder how many different companies there are with restaurans named 'Kobe' and 'Shogun.' Because I can find websites for some, but never for any that would make me believe there's a large national chain. We have a Kobe and two Shogun locations, in addition to a few other 'Japanese' steakhouses. I know the Shogun locations are owned by the same company... but who is it? I have no idea who owns our Kobe, but I've been told that years ago some Japanese chefs from our original Shogun restaurant left to do their own thing. I don't know if that's true or not, but seeing Shogun and Kobe restaurants all over the country has often left me wondering how many different companies there are and how they're all able to use the same names.

Some of it could be franchises as well. Offering the same menu but owned by different people.

Some of it could be franchises as well. Offering the same menu but owned by different people.

My understanding is Shogun is owned by one guy, and he;s a real duesy., Very cheap and not nice. I have had several students who worked at several of his restaurants.

Benihana of Tokyo is the largest of these chains. They are in major cities across the US.

My understanding is Shogun is owned by one guy, and he;s a real duesy., Very cheap and not nice. I have had several students who worked at several of his restaurants.

Benihana of Tokyo is the largest of these chains. They are in major cities across the US.

There's a Benihana, Shogun, and Kobe in Little Rock (actually the Benihana is in downtown NLR) and I have to say I like Benihana the best of the three.

I've heard of Benihana but never been to one. I'd love to see one here.

The ones we have, that I know of...

Shogun (2 locations)

Kobe

Tokyo

Ichiban

We were supposed to get a place called Sukihana, but that never happened for whatever reason.

We have tons of Asian, but most of it is on the Chinese end.

I'd like to at least eat at a Benihana... maybe next time I'm in the LR area.

Shogun (2 locations)

Kobe

Tokyo

Ichiban

We were supposed to get a place called Sukihana, but that never happened for whatever reason.

If you really like sushi, the best place is called Sekisui. It's a mini-chain with locations in Memphis and Little Rock. It seems like there's an Ichiban or Igibon in every city. I don't know what it means in Japanese but they are as common as Hunan's are for Chinese food. Benihana is better for hibachi, though.

If you really like sushi, the best place is called Sekisui. It's a mini-chain with locations in Memphis and Little Rock. It seems like there's an Ichiban or Igibon in every city. I don't know what it means in Japanese but they are as common as Hunan's are for Chinese food. Benihana is better for hibachi, though.

Ichiban seems to be a brand-name for noodles.

Shogun (2 locations)

Kobe

Tokyo

Ichiban

There's also the Samurai Japanese Steakhouse at the corner of Hwy 102 (14th St) and J street in Bentonville. I don't know if it's any good or not, but it's supposed to be similar to the Shogun experience.

Oops, you're talking about Lousiana, aren't you? Never mind.

Archived