Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

The area colleges and universities are certainly catalysts for this type of growth. I have a friend who went to Winston-Salem State University for undergrad, and he has now made Columbia his home after having obtained his masters in public health from USC. He actually likes Columbia (even noting that it's "one of the better places in SC to live"...LOL), and he's a classic example of this type of growth. Another friend of mine has moved to Columbia after transferring to Columbia International University from the Interdenominational Theological Center in Atlanta. Both are definitely on their p's and q's when it comes to politics and urban culture, and they've already begun to make their marks in the city. I myself hope to attend USC in the fall for graduate school.

Oh yeah, I'm black and so are my friends.... :thumbsup:

Are you speaking of the old "Saxon Homes" area? Cause if so that is amazing! I really don't recognize the place. Not in a million years would I thought that they would be able to completely redevelop that area. I have to be honest with you I don't know many street names back home unless they were major roads, or unless it was in St. Andrews.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is in that area, Sandlapper. It is actually the city that tore down Saxon Homes and is building lower income single family homes in its place, along with the Drew Park renovation. I live within a couple of miles of there and I'm happy to see the revitalization in the area.

It is in that area, Sandlapper. It is actually the city that tore down Saxon Homes and is building lower income single family homes in its place, along with the Drew Park renovation. I live within a couple of miles of there and I'm happy to see the revitalization in the area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is the area off of Harden St closer to Palmetto Richland right?

Here is an article from The State about a project on Millwood Ave which is part of a larger plan to revitalize that area. They talk of razing the fomer ETV HQ and putting in 32 upscale townhomes in a $10million development called Shandon Square. They emphasized that a 160ft skeleton of a cellphone tower will be removed and in its palce owuld be a smallerone that would be masked by a clock tower that could also be a part of the WiFi bubble.

Here is an article from The State about a project on Millwood Ave which is part of a larger plan to revitalize that area. They talk of razing the fomer ETV HQ and putting in 32 upscale townhomes in a $10million development called Shandon Square. They emphasized that a 160ft skeleton of a cellphone tower will be removed and in its palce owuld be a smallerone that would be masked by a clock tower that could also be a part of the WiFi bubble.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Awesome news! Upscale though. We need more middle-income housing in these in-town neighborhoods. For people like... well, me. :)

Intel boosting USC program with $550,000 investment

The world's largest computer chip maker has faith in the USC by delivering $550,000 of investment. I'm thinking that this is a continuation of good things to come out of the research campus initiative marriage between the public & private institutions.

"The company

I read in The State that Palmetto Richland, and Baptist are going to have wireless internet access for its patients and visitors. LMC is going to have a wired access. Soon enough there won't be a place in this city where you can't access the internet.

The City Center Partnership sent out an email update this morning with word on the groundbreaking for The Courtyard at Arsenal Hill. It's *got* to be pricey, but they're touting it as "the return of single-family detatched housing to Columbia."

Here's the text: City Center Partnership, the City of Columbia, and the Columbia Development Corporation are pleased to announce that construction has begun on The Courtyard at Arsenal Hill. A groundbreaking ceremony will be held at the site, on March 10, 2005, 11:00 a.m., at 1625 Wayne Street between Taylor and Blanding. Mayor Bob Coble; Councilman EW Cromartie, II; Councilman Sam Davis; Ned Pendarvis, Chairman of Columbia Development Corporation; Ike McLeese, president of Columbia Chamber of Commerce; J.T. McLawhorn, Jr. President Columbia Urban League; Cedric J. Johnson, Vice President of First Bank; and Matt Kennell, president of City Center Partnership will give remarks about the importance of this new downtown residential project.

And a graphic...

post-615-1110212179_thumb.jpg

227 condos going up at Lake Murray Marina

Lake Murray Condos

Doggone it, I wish this was being built downtown instead...as a 28 story condo tower... :) $100 million for condos...damn

Moderator's Note: Please do not post the entire article. Post a summary or a few key phrases. You can delete this if you decide to repost.

Edited by Spartan

There was an interesting article in The State today about the Bull St State Hospital. The group is a leader in the new urbanism trend, and is literally world reknowned developer. They are going to come up with a plan for the area preserving trees and the existing street grid and bulidings. Development would take 20-35 years.

Full Article

Capitol Places talks about a new condo project coming to Main St on their website (capitolplaces.com).  Looks like announcement soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe they are referring to the condo conversion of the former American Sentinal Life building across from the State House (c 1911)

Interesting. I had not heard about the development plans on Lake Murrary. That is substantial to say the least.

There are some live/work condos going up at Lady & Pulaski I forget what the development is called.
I drove by there the other day. The frames are up on the initial stage (i.e. the live work condos). I think that development will look nice and be a great anchor tenant for that portion of Lady St.

I believe they are referring to the condo conversion of the former American Sentinal Life building across from the State House (c 1911)

Which specific building is this...the green tower right on the corner of Gervais and Main?