Restaurant Review

fluffy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Curious to hear what other UP'ers think of the new San Chez / Mezze combined menu.

I love that they've made everything easily available wherever you sit but I'm soooo bummed that they've taken many of my favorites off the menu. ex: Poblano pepper - gone, Potato and onion Empanada - gone (or changed I should say), Tortellini with the Bistec - gone, bread with flavored butter - gone. I respect why they did it - eliminated trans fats, but man what a difference in experience when you frequent a restaurant two or three times a month for 2 years and then wham, gone are your favs. sad.gif

WHAT!!!! That was my favorite too, and pretty much everybody else who went there on a regular basis. How could they change it?!

They have a chicken empanada now made with cornmeal.. so-so. But the potato and onion one is now in a layered pastry instead of the fried flour. It still basically tastes the same. I'm more upset about the loss of my poblano. that was my all-time fav. I'll have to make it at home I suppose. They've actually eliminated the whole cuban section of the menu, trying to be more authentic spanish or something. boo.

They have a chicken empanada now made with cornmeal.. so-so. But the potato and onion one is now in a layered pastry instead of the fried flour. It still basically tastes the same. I'm more upset about the loss of my poblano. that was my all-time fav. I'll have to make it at home I suppose. They've actually eliminated the whole cuban section of the menu, trying to be more authentic spanish or something. boo.

No more Cuban Beans and Rice and the Asiago Casserole? Waaaa.

EDIT - Ok, i just looked at their "new" menu and it looks like they still have all the old stuff, just revamped in a different way. I still hate it when places change things - especially a place like SC where i go often and happen to love.

Ok, i just looked at their "new" menu and it looks like they still have all the old stuff, just revamped in a different way.

They definitely don't have the stuffed poblano anymore or the stuffed tortellini that came with the bistec. The empanada has been modified but still tastes basically the same. They also give you pitas and oil now to munch on instead of the bread and flavored butter. I didn't study the menu too hard but those changes I'm sure of.

I had breakfast at Mezze two weekends ago. I didn't like the french toast (it's sitting in a pool of syrup/brandy/other things), so it was just a mush. Pretty gross texture. My wife's scramble came back as an omlette and she said it did not taste very good. It seemed pricey. The waiter was way creepy. Overall a poor experience.

Shoulda got the club boca to go.

We had dinner at El Sombrero on Bridge St on Saturday. It was really good I thought. I had a delicious burrito, my wife had an enchilada dinner that she couldn't finish, we had two sodas and it was like $19.50. There were lots of young kids there too (we were the only people there with out children), so I guess its a good place to bring the fam. :thumbsup:

I tried Bloom (Cherry St.) today and it was delicious. I would highly recommend it. Small menu but the salad, sandwich and desert I had were great!

Joe

Dude...more details, please! What kind of salad, sandwich and dessert? Could have been ice berg, peanut butter and jelly and a twinkie...even though I'm pretty sure it wasn't! ;)

*fish

I went into Bloom a week or so ago to get a take out menu. Apparently they don't really do take-out (although they said they could if we really wanted it), but they did let me take a menu with me to read at my leisure.

It was Saturday evening I think.. and I was the only one in there.

I went to Bobby J's last night for the first time. The menu was pretty diverse. I ordered the chicken salad pita, with fruit salad and an appetizer of hummus. The sandwich was awesome. I usually like chicken salad with some extras in it, but this tasted great with just the chicken, mayo, and spices. The fruit was alright given the difficulty of getting quality fruit in Michigan in April. The hummus was, well, hummus. Nothing special was added to it (at least I couldn't taste anything), just good old fashion chickpeas and tahini with olive oil. The service was quick and pleasant. Overall, the food was above average and the service was great. I'm interested about the quality of their dinner entrees (pasta, etc.).

Sorry. Chicken Sandwich with Maple (delicious) on fresh bread (from Nantucket Bakery). The Salad was a spinach salad, croutons, bacon and chicken with a vineagrette. Delicious. For dessert, we had something made of cornbread and it was awesome!

Joe

Dude...more details, please! What kind of salad, sandwich and dessert? Could have been ice berg, peanut butter and jelly and a twinkie...even though I'm pretty sure it wasn't! ;)

*fish

Cool! Thanks for the tasty details! :thumbsup:

*fish

Sorry. Chicken Sandwich with Maple (delicious) on fresh bread (from Nantucket Bakery). The Salad was a spinach salad, croutons, bacon and chicken with a vineagrette. Delicious. For dessert, we had something made of cornbread and it was awesome!

Joe

I went to Bobby J's last night for the first time. The menu was pretty diverse. I ordered the chicken salad pita, with fruit salad and an appetizer of hummus. The sandwich was awesome. I usually like chicken salad with some extras in it, but this tasted great with just the chicken, mayo, and spices. The fruit was alright given the difficulty of getting quality fruit in Michigan in April. The hummus was, well, hummus. Nothing special was added to it (at least I couldn't taste anything), just good old fashion chickpeas and tahini with olive oil. The service was quick and pleasant. Overall, the food was above average and the service was great. I'm interested about the quality of their dinner entrees (pasta, etc.).

The decor and ambience is very nice, too (even if Westland buddy and I didn't get to sit near GRPD up front)...February (?) visit.

Not really a restaurant but I took my kids to Moxie's (Michigan & Union) today. Very nice Ice Cream shop. Parking is going to be confusing for some as it is on a oneway street (Union), but they have a nice seating area, good ice cream etc. Definitely check it out!

The traffic seemed pretty consistent today. Once the word gets out I'm sure this place will do really well.

Joe

Not really a restaurant but I took my kids to Moxie's (Michigan & Union) today. Very nice Ice Cream shop. Parking is going to be confusing for some as it is on a oneway street (Union), but they have a nice seating area, good ice cream etc. Definitely check it out!

The traffic seemed pretty consistent today. Once the word gets out I'm sure this place will do really well.

Joe

Hopefully they'll get plenty of foot traffic too sorta like Jersey Junction in EGR.

Moxie's has a great location to be the neighborhood ice-cream joint of choice.

I went to Ottawa Tavern last night after work. What a great place! All the food is under $5.00 including an extensive burger menu. Burgers are like $4.25 and include three toppings, your choice of buns, choice of sauce and are cooked to order. You actually fill out a little form with your preferences. The beer prices are great too, $1.50 PBR and Moosehead pints, $2.00 domestic pints, and a ton of other brews also reasonably priced. And these prices are all day every day. Very nice.

Just found the menu: http://www.thegilmorecollection.com/Ottawa...rn/otframe.html

Other info: http://www.thegilmorecollection.com/Ottawa%20Tavern/ot.html

Being vegetarian, I'm all about thier portobella burger with all those toppings! And then.. hello sweet potato cheese fritters and handcut bistro fries. I totally want to check this place out!

*fish

I went to Ottawa Tavern last night after work. What a great place! All the food is under $5.00 including an extensive burger menu. Burgers are like $4.25 and include three toppings, your choice of buns, choice of sauce and are cooked to order. You actually fill out a little form with your preferences. The beer prices are great too, $1.50 PBR and Moosehead pints, $2.00 domestic pints, and a ton of other brews also reasonably priced. And these prices are all day every day. Very nice.

Just found the menu: http://www.thegilmorecollection.com/Ottawa...rn/otframe.html

Other info: http://www.thegilmorecollection.com/Ottawa%20Tavern/ot.html

Archived