Gaslight Village - East Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently this piece of artwork is not yet complete. There is another sail yet to be installed and also the fountain is not yet finished.

The main element (the spinnaker) actually goes in the fountain. There are waterfalls, the form of a boat and fountains. It gets installed near the end of the month.

Check out the little bronze pianos that surround the fountain (apparantly there is an area in EGR where upright pianos are buried).

(apparantly there is an area in EGR where upright pianos are buried).

I had heard the same thing. The version I was told was that they used these old piano's for fill in some swampy areas of Reed's Lake.

I wonder where all the pianos came from?

I had heard the same thing. The version I was told was that they used these old piano's for fill in some swampy areas of Reed's Lake.

I wonder where all the pianos came from?

They were old player pianos that were dumped in the swamps.

Also understand the roller coaster is in the lake. Don't know

who did the dumping, but what a loss.

They were old player pianos that were dumped in the swamps.

Also understand the roller coaster is in the lake. Don't know

who did the dumping, but what a loss.

There's a lot of stuff in that lake. I believe a couple of my relative's steamboats are on the bottom as well.

It's got to be a great scuba diving lake.

Interesting article TwoShort. I grew up in EGR..who knew? :)

I still miss the good old Trading Post where Kabookie's is now...anyone remember that? :)

While sitting near Reeds Lake this weekend, I was telling someone about the steam boat(s) at the bottom of the lake. It was cool to read so much more of the story of what's really at the bottom of the lake.

And Be You Liz, the Trading Post seems quite ledgendary - I didn't grow up in East, but have heard many a story about some shenanigans in and around the Trading Post from guys who used to work there!

• 2 weeks later...

I meant to post these when I posted the new Community Center shots. This realignment of Wealthy with Lakeside Drive, as well as the new ped crossings, planters, signage and streetlights look great now with the new developments.

218609748_82828bd696_b.jpg

218609749_72a692a7be.jpg

218609751_0f81137922.jpg

218611693_45853f874d_b.jpg

And back to the crossing by the bus stop, where the curbs bulb out for speed control:

218609746_770158e7bd_b.jpg

I've heard that but not had any problems myself (mainly walking there in evenings and on weekends). What's wrong with it?

Just a lot of waiting in the car for the ligths to change with nobody around. That type of thing bothers me a little more when I'm paying three dollars a gallon. The cross walk is great for pedestrians, but IMO it would be easy to change the light's timing and make it a little better for cars as well.

I saw the butterfly wings (my first impression upon seeing them) this weekend . .pretty cool . .

Does anyone know what retailers are going in the empty stores that were just built?

One that's not going in is the proposed bike shop. Ada Bike was on the verge, but then life happened.

BTW, Lake Drive repaving is complete. It was an interesting project to watch, too.

Those fountains are just a taste of what downtown grand rapids could really use...we need vibrant things like colored fountains...especially along the river would be nice

Actually I can remember back in the fifties downtown in Veterans Memorial Park there was a fountain that changed height and colors every few seconds. It must have added too much excitement because when the WW II and Korean War monuments were added to the park, the fountain was replaced with the more sedate fountain and pool that are there now.

As I picked up dinner from Foo Yen tonight, I noticed they were building the spinnaker for the sailboat sculpture in Gaslight. They were working on it up on the parking garage, but the crane appeared to be in place to put the sail up tomorrow perhaps.

I'll see if I can get some pictures...but I'm hoping someone else will beat me to it. :)

As I picked up dinner from Foo Yen tonight, I noticed they were building the spinnaker for the sailboat sculpture in Gaslight. They were working on it up on the parking garage, but the crane appeared to be in place to put the sail up tomorrow perhaps.

I'll see if I can get some pictures...but I'm hoping someone else will beat me to it. :)

Wow....the spinnaker is up...it is giant and pink and well..it (in it's context) has inspired some interesting names from the High School students who frequent the chinese restuarant accross the way. I will wait for others to experience it before I say what they thought it looked like. I will say one thing for it. You definetly do not notice the ugly parking deck that it is meant to camaflouge. It has accomplished it main purpose (perhaps too well)

Wow....the spinnaker is up...it is giant and pink and well..it (in it's context) has inspired some interesting names from the High School students who frequent the chinese restuarant accross the way. I will wait for others to experience it before I say what they thought it looked like. I will say one thing for it. You definetly do not notice the ugly parking deck that it is meant to camaflouge. It has accomplished it main purpose (perhaps too well)

They could have avoided the sexual references if they had picked a color other than pink.

Let's just put it that way.

I might add, it looks nothing like a spinnaker to me....just two oblong pink things spreading apart from each other.

All that said, the overall sculpture isn't THAT bad...but never in a million years would I have looked at that on paper and said "Yes! That's what we need in new gaslight village!!!"

Fortunately the rest of the development is outstanding looking so the two giant pink things with the hole in between them can be ignored.

Archived