Gaslight Village - East Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

Firehouse Grill is now long gone. Has anyone seen plans for the Sheldon Cleaners, and what kind of setbacks they're looking at (will it continue the urbanistic feel that Jade Pig has created and the South side of Wealthy already has).

Also, is Big Bob's Pizza "family friendly"? Or is it more of a "pub". I won't take offense if it's not family friendly. :D

There was a bad renerdering in the Cadence a week or two ago. It looks like it will be similar to the new Sheldon on the corner of Michigan and Fuller. Unfortunetly I think it will be an island surrounded by its drive up on one side and parking on the other. It probably will not feel all that different than Firehouse grille.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take the kids to Big Bob's! Great place!

I concur.

We've taken our infant daughter there a few times and usually run into other families with kids.

I've also gone for a beer with some buddies...that's just later in the evening.

Firehouse Grill is now long gone. Has anyone seen plans for the Sheldon Cleaners, and what kind of setbacks they're looking at (will it continue the urbanistic feel that Jade Pig has created and the South side of Wealthy already has).

Also, is Big Bob's Pizza "family friendly"? Or is it more of a "pub". I won't take offense if it's not family friendly. :D

Big Bob's is very family friendly; I bet the whole fam would love it. And the staff are great, particularly Emily.

Big Bob's is very family friendly; I bet the whole fam would love it. And the staff are great, particularly Emily.

I loooooove that place... well other than the having to wait for the whole party to be seated thing.. I understand it on busy weekends.. but sometimes I'm waiting for a habitually late person to join our group, and all i want to do is sit down and drink an Oberon.. but I have to wait...b/c there's no room at the bar, b/c everyone is waiting for the rest of the party to join them...

It's ok though, the Calzone makes up for it...

It says the SUVs were parked where spaces are not.. but regardless, SUVs themselves are a problem. If I'm driving a car and come to an intersection, light is red but I'm turning right... I can't turn right anyways if there's an SUV next to me, because I just can't see t all, especially when they stop too far ahead... which happens often with people driving SUVs. If only there were restrictions as to how tall a private-use passenger vehicle could be =p

......Also, is Big Bob's Pizza "family friendly"? Or is it more of a "pub". I won't take offense if it's not family friendly. :D

I went to Big Bob's Pizza last night with four friends after an incredible boat ride on Reeds Lake. We had an awesome time, thanks to the Ultimate Margarita's, Calzone, and great service.

Daddy, BBP's is soo family friendly. Of course there are times that if you sit next to a rowdy group of five, you might see a girl feeding another girl Gelato in an inappropriate fashion.... I blame it on the tequila shots on the boat. 1, 2, 3, Wakeboard!

-Triple G

Nice mini-pony keg!

Parking issues along the newly rebuilt Wealthy. Those darn SUV's!

Also it mentions the development to the West of Jade Pig's is on hold per Family Fare.

Are the SUV's the problem or are the drivers of the SUV's a problem? :P

It says the SUVs were parked where spaces are not.. but regardless, SUVs themselves are a problem. If I'm driving a car and come to an intersection, light is red but I'm turning right... I can't turn right anyways if there's an SUV next to me, because I just can't see t all, especially when they stop too far ahead... which happens often with people driving SUVs. If only there were restrictions as to how tall a private-use passenger vehicle could be =p

Right now traffic congestion is bad because of Lake Dr. construction. Once the parking ramp @ Jade Pig opens there should be an improvement. There are so many projects going on here it really adds to the difficulty.

As far as Ken Feldts comments on the D&W shopping center I know the city would love to have Croswell connect to Lakeside for a through street. I believe this was discussed in their traffic study a couple of years ago.

That intersection in EGR has always been a problem, even before the Wealthy project. Even so, it was never that bad because traffic tends to move pretty slowly through that stretch, what with everyone pulling in and out of the D&W entrance or heading the opposite direction toward Big Bob's or Jersey Junction. The best solution might be a 4 way stop at that intersection.....

I know this is a bit off topic, but it seems that EGR has trouble supporting its local restaurants other than a choice few (Roses, Big Bob's, Starbucks, Jersey Junction). Firehouse Grill had GREAT food and service. I also just read that Kabookies is under new ownership. That place always had good food and service as well.

What gives? EGR should be able to support all of these places. Were they just mismanaged or is there not enough local support?

That intersection in EGR has always been a problem, even before the Wealthy project. Even so, it was never that bad because traffic tends to move pretty slowly through that stretch, what with everyone pulling in and out of the D&W entrance or heading the opposite direction toward Big Bob's or Jersey Junction. The best solution might be a 4 way stop at that intersection.....

I know this is a bit off topic, but it seems that EGR has trouble supporting its local restaurants other than a choice few (Roses, Big Bob's, Starbucks, Jersey Junction). Firehouse Grill had GREAT food and service. I also just read that Kabookies is under new ownership. That place always had good food and service as well.

What gives? EGR should be able to support all of these places. Were they just mismanaged or is there not enough local support?

Actually I think local support in EGR borders on fanatical.

You only have 10,500 people in EGR. 10,500 people seems like far too small a population to support Rose's, Big Bob's, EGR Firehouse Grill (since departed), Olive's, Reeds Lake Inn/Foo Yen, Osta's, Kabookie's and Olga's (coming soon) so I'm thinking all those restaurants rely on visitors to stay in business.

I don't know how busy Olive's is, but I'm rooting for them. I've had several really good meals there.

I read somewhere, at some point, that they were supposed to be boat sails, with the "bow" of the boat being that v-shaped thing in between the staircases and some fountain to go in at a later date simulating the bow-wave off the front of the boat.

I just did a 30-sec. google-job and couldn't find anything about this, though.

They don't really look like sails of a boat in their current configuration, but they're pretty cool looking.

I wonder what they'll look like in 5 or 10 years...dirty and old or still very cool?

Archived