Gaslight Village - East Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was Joan and Company - a tabletop and giftware shop. They used to have fun stuff like Hellerware and Marimekko.

Owned by - I believe - Joan Remes of Reme's Drug Store located

in Breton Village where RiteAid is now, yes? Cool store in its day.

I was just talking about the old Fire House Grill building with a friend - it's had pretty high turn over when it comes to restaurants. Perhaps a restaurant would have survived with the new development, but for whatever reason it hasn't been a lucky spot for anything food-related.

It doesn't help that EGR has rediculous liquor control measures making any full service resturaunt a challenge. I'm sure BigBobs could attest to that.

Speaking of that, Sheldon Cleaners is taking over Firehouse Grill, and wants to add a drive thru.

Welcome chicagok! I assume you live locally?

i actually live in chicago. born and raised in gr. spending more time lately in gr due to my parents needs. thinking of retiring there in 15 years. have enjoyed reading the forums. more informative than my family who don't always realize what's going on in their hometown.

I'm afraid those details are made out of fiberglass. They are formed in 1-2 inch thick pieces. Believe me, I've seen worse. What they are doing here looks pretty good, although the "weathered" look to them is a bit extreme. An alternative would have been using precast concrete details. Sometimes a coating is applied to them to give a slight appearance of aged material. It's almost impossible to tell the difference between handmade limestone ornamentation and the precast concrete stuff (check the Flint forum). But for the affordable projects, fiberglass seems to be the alternative.

• 2 weeks later...

if you look at the grey stone arched top building, there is a circular Jade Pig emblem as a decorative detail... not sure how I feel about that... does anyone else hate that fiberglass grey crown piece on the yellow siding building, I think that independantly of eachother they are ok, but together, I don't like them...

oh and hi, I am josh leo, I live in heritage hill and this is my first post.

oh yeah, I talked to my cousin who is doing some plumbing in this development and he said told me some of the businesses moving in:

some spice store, a barbershop, chase bank, realty offices upstairs... that is all i remember...

if you look at the grey stone arched top building, there is a circular Jade Pig emblem as a decorative detail... not sure how I feel about that... does anyone else hate that fiberglass grey crown piece on the yellow siding building, I think that independantly of eachother they are ok, but together, I don't like them...

oh yeah, I talked to my cousin who is doing some plumbing in this development and he said told me some of the businesses moving in:

some spice store, a barbershop, chase bank, realty offices upstairs... that is all i remember...

Welcome Josh. "The Pig" is actually doing a nice job with the details, including the logo. I wondered about the overhang detail too, but I suspect it will get painted white and look like an appropriate wood detailed overhang. We'll see...

There is also a dental office moving in.

Welcome Josh!

Jade Pig always works their logo in --usually very unobtrusively -- to each of their developments. Unless you know it's their logo, most people probably wouldn't even notice it!

I'm told that the first coat overhang color is pretty close.

The finish color on the siding will be a little darker than the current color.

The window trim is scheduled to match the siding, but a contrasting color is being considered.

The landscaping is starting to look good.

162945077_a68dc249a4_o.jpg

Still waiting to hear what is going on with the D&W lot, as that side (west) elevation is still my least favorite part of the project. I read in the Cadence (local paper) about the Sheldon Cleaners move, they are waiting on some kind of variance for the drive through and/or parking. I also heard that Spartan Foods does not want to give up parking in the front of the D&W lot to the new 5th Thirds Bank and retail that was being planned. So no telling how long it will take for something to cover up that side elevation. What happened with the side (east) elevation of the Bank? I understand that the front facade is original and historic, but the rest of that side elevation seems arbitrary and disjointed. They used metal siding on the back side of the parapet and the random change of brick and height almost seems like an after thought. For all that they did well they seemed to have forgotten both the East and West facades

Still waiting to hear what is going on with the D&W lot, as that side (west) elevation is still my least favorite part of the project. I read in the Cadence (local paper) about the Sheldon Cleaners move, they are waiting on some kind of variance for the drive through and/or parking. I also heard that Spartan Foods does not want to give up parking in the front of the D&W lot to the new 5th Thirds Bank and retail that was being planned. So no telling how long it will take for something to cover up that side elevation. What happened with the side (east) elevation of the Bank? I understand that the front facade is original and historic, but the rest of that side elevation seems arbitrary and disjointed. They used metal siding on the back side of the parapet and the random change of brick and height almost seems like an after thought. For all that they did well they seemed to have forgotten both the East and West facades

Isn't Jade Pig in negotiations to buy that whole plaza?

Isn't Jade Pig in negotiations to buy that whole plaza?

I have heard that rumor as well, but I don't know how much say Spartan has in this regarding parking and thier lease. Has anyone heard about what is going on with the Derby (midrise condo) project. Is Jade Pig have financing problems are they behind schedule on breaking ground?

I have heard that rumor as well, but I don't know how much say Spartan has in this regarding parking and thier lease. Has anyone heard about what is going on with the Derby (midrise condo) project. Is Jade Pig have financing problems are they behind schedule on breaking ground?

Good question. I thought it was sold out.

• 2 weeks later...

First it was yellow with grey cornice, and now it is poo brown with a lighter shade for the trim... I want some contrast. Some aestetically pleasing colors...what is going on over there!?

"Poo" is very sujective, considering the color range. One of the units in the hardiboard building is being roughed in, it looks like it will be a salon named BLUSH.

Archived