NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

Chadbourn, né Larkwood hosiery, was built 1932 so that explains why it has a modern look rather than the crenellated, all brick classic mills of the late 19th and early 20th century. 

Nebel Mill was five years earlier and displays a transitional style between the classic and the Chadbourn.

https://powersearch.jll.com/res/btp/image/upload/v1561648240/prod/listing/brochures/2500_n_brevard_st_chadbourn_building_brochure_bcbvuk.pdf

National Hosiery Manufacturers Association was HQ in Charlotte for many years. It disbanded due to many issues. Still many hosiery mills in the U. S.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, tarwater said:

...Meanwhile "Bargarita"...

This is the most horrible thing I have heard this week. NoDa could become a cross of the worst parts of the French Quarter and Carowinds.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Niner National said:

Ive always thought sunshine daydreams was a very under utilized spot. I’ve lived in NoDa for the last 8 months and I’m honestly not sure I’ve ever seen anyone go in or come out.

That's because we would always slither in when nobody was looking ;)

This is sad news, but purely on principle rather :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Desert Power said:

I feel the same way. It's good to have one to walk to, but High Life on Hawthorne/Central is just so much better.

Now that you mention it, Sunshine Daydreams had a TON of art, decor, clothing, etc, whereas High Life has a huge assortment of paraphernalia and just product generally involved with consumption. I wonder how much that made a difference. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw that the recently-rezoned large vacant lot next to the two houses at 36th and McDowell now has a brand new for-sale sign up. Does that indicate that the mixed use project slated for here was fallen through?

This one: https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/12/17/why-a-proposed-noda-project-is-drawing-opposition.html

12 hours ago, tozmervo said:

I legitimately couldn't tell you if Mangoes ever actually opened. Did it?

Yes it officially opened but never seemed like anyone was in there.. They took a weird spin and kept pushing for Saturday day parties to get people to come in to party at "Henny Island".  Also I'm fairly certain Roy is the name of the owner of Mangoes so I'm not even sure this is a new restaurant... Maybe a rebranding and working out how to run a restaurant during the shutdown will be a good thing, we'll see

On 6/9/2020 at 11:11 PM, Desert Power said:

Yes. We went once and couldn't get anyone to take our order. Went to Haberdish instead.

My wife and I went to Mangoes once and it was one of the weirdest experiences we have ever had.   We were just looking for a quick bite and a beer on a hot day so we wandered in.  There was one woman working (?) who took our drink order, but she couldn't figure out how to use the beer taps behind the bar so she gave us bottled beers instead.  Then she just . . . left and never came back.  People kept coming into the restaurant, sitting for about 10 minutes until they received no service, and then leaving.  We were there for about 30-40 minutes and never got our food order taken.  Not even sure if there was a kitchen.  Something about it screamed, "this restaurant is a front for something shady" but we couldn't figure it out.  Who opens the doors to a restaurant with no staff inside?  

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, CTiger said:

My wife and I went to Mangoes once and it was one of the weirdest experiences we have ever had.   We were just looking for a quick bite and a beer on a hot day so we wandered in.  There was one woman working (?) who took our drink order, but she couldn't figure out how to use the beer taps behind the bar so she gave us bottled beers instead.  Then she just . . . left and never came back.  People kept coming into the restaurant, sitting for about 10 minutes until they received no service, and then leaving.  We were there for about 30-40 minutes and never got our food order taken.  Not even sure if there was a kitchen.  Something about it screamed, "this restaurant is a front for something shady" but we couldn't figure it out.  Who opens the doors to a restaurant with no staff inside?  

HAHA WHAT. I would have just poured my own beers to be honest.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...