Benton County Projects

mcheiss

^

Arkansas has some great Historic Preservation programs and it's great that Northwest Arkansas will have their own program. It should be noted that there is a tax credit of 20% that goes toward any restorations for any income producing historic site so this should be an added incentive for developers to look into buying historic properties and preserving them rather than knocking them down to build a new "upscale" laundromat. :lol:

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^

Arkansas has some great Historic Preservation programs and it's great that Northwest Arkansas will have their own program. It should be noted that there is a tax credit of 20% that goes toward any restorations for any income producing historic site so this should be an added incentive for developers to look into buying historic properties and preserving them rather than knocking them down to build a new "upscale" laundromat. :lol:

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program

I'm certainly impressed that Benton County has done this. I bit disappointed Washington County hasn't done anything like this yet though. Not saying historical buildings are preserved in Washington County obviously but a commission like this might be useful.

^

Actually, Washington County has the Washington County Historical Society . I'm not sure if it's similar to the new Benton County Historical Commision, but it's been around for quite some time. Do you have any more info about the Benton County Historic Commission? I can only find the Benton County Historical Society, which is a sister program to Fayetteville's.

^

Actually, Washington County has the Washington County Historical Society . I'm not sure if it's similar to the new Benton County Historical Commision, but it's been around for quite some time. Do you have any more info about the Benton County Historic Commission? I can only find the Benton County Historical Society, which is a sister program to Fayetteville's.

This was something mentioned by KNWA the other day. They said it was the only one of it's kind in the state. Maybe it has something to do with the fact they are allocated money each year to buy historic buildings.

I heard some interesting news today. Sounds like Bentonville and Rogers are working together to get things done. Bentonville is using some of it's funding for 8th St for the Perry Rd exit on I-540 in Rogers. Apparently the 8th St work isn't going to be done for a couple of years anyway. Then in the near future Rogers will in turn use some of it's funding towards the 8th St work. I personally think it's great to see the cities working together to get things done. Although apparently not everyone is happy about the deal and is questioning the legality of it.

They need to just pass a law that says anyone opposed to growth in Northwest Arkansas has to give up their property and spend a year in a reeducation center. How can building a much needed interchange that will benefit both Bentonville and Rogers be opposed?

I don't think people are actually opposing those road projects themselves but more or less swapping money that's supposed to be intended for a particular project. I can see people having questions about it and it probably is something that needs to be kept a close eye on before things get out of hand. But I think in this case it seems a rather useful means to getting things done. But before we go too Machiavelli with 'the ends justify the means' we should perhaps take a better look at this idea.

They need to just pass a law that says anyone opposed to growth in Northwest Arkansas has to give up their property and spend a year in a reeducation center. How can building a much needed interchange that will benefit both Bentonville and Rogers be opposed?

:rofl:

I'm glad to see some Regional cooperation though in Benton County.

The article in today's Ark-Dem-Gaz pretty much sums it up:

http://www.nwanews.com/adg/News/145426/

But I think the article made a mistake in the funding-- the 8th St to Perry Rd swap could only be 8.37*.85*.2=$1.42 million (the obligation limitation knocks it down 15% more). Close enough.

This ability to swap earmarked funds between one project and another is a new provision that was inserted in the last transportation bill. Basically allowing more flexibility, but not too much flexibility. The total funds allocated for the projects stay the same (you can't take it away from one project and use it for another), but you can play 'musical chairs' a bit to get a project moving forward since the total amount allocated for a project is released evenly (more or less) over the next five years. Fun stuff.

The article in today's Ark-Dem-Gaz pretty much sums it up:

http://www.nwanews.com/adg/News/145426/

But I think the article made a mistake in the funding-- the 8th St to Perry Rd swap could only be 8.37*.85*.2=$1.42 million (the obligation limitation knocks it down 15% more). Close enough.

This ability to swap earmarked funds between one project and another is a new provision that was inserted in the last transportation bill. Basically allowing more flexibility, but not too much flexibility. The total funds allocated for the projects stay the same (you can't take it away from one project and use it for another), but you can play 'musical chairs' a bit to get a project moving forward since the total amount allocated for a project is released evenly (more or less) over the next five years. Fun stuff.

Thanks for the detailed info. That was much more detailed than what I was hearing yesterday.

This is just another example of how planning, for lack of a better word, sucks in Northwest Arkansas. You think the Federal Laws are going to bend because they interfere with someone's ability to shop for that new handbag and matching pair of shoes? They need to quit building huge projects where there's no infrastructure and just assume everything will be copasetic in the end.

Density, a lack of, will always kill us up here in NW Arkansas.

Because of low density, we are unable to have a centralized downtown, proper infastructure, etc. You see the sudden sprawl up herei n Benton County, you wonder how our roads can take this. I don't know if we will ever get the proper road infastructure.

Willowbrook Farms (80-acre mixed-use project in Bentonville)

Evidentally Willowbrook Farms is going to include 279 varied-income housing units, 7 acres of commercial space, 5.27 acres of mini-storage, 16 acres of open land, two clubhouses, two swimming pools and several playgrounds.

I was going to create a new topic for this, but there's nothing more to go on than a few news clippings. Unless anyones has more information or renderings?

Bentonville Subdivision Residents Unhappy With Plans for Neighboring Mixed-Use Development

Willowbrook Farms (80-acre mixed-use project in Bentonville)

Evidentally Willowbrook Farms is going to include 279 varied-income housing units, 7 acres of commercial space, 5.27 acres of mini-storage, 16 acres of open land, two clubhouses, two swimming pools and several playgrounds.

I was going to create a new topic for this, but there's nothing more to go on than a few news clippings. Unless anyones has more information or renderings?

Bentonville Subdivision Residents Unhappy With Plans for Neighboring Mixed-Use Development

There's no making some people happy. You'd think maybe people would be unhappy because they were putting in low income housing or something nearby. But no they're unhappy because these are large expensive homes going in. It just sounds to me it's another case of people expecting they're area of the city to stay exactly the same and not change.

People need to wake up and see that NWA isn't in Kansas anymore, we are becoming a nice sized metropolitan area. They could probably sell their homes, the property value will be higher, and then they could move away from here, hopefully to some small town far away. :D

I hope this isn't Coose Hollow Condos all over again.

People need to wake up and see that NWA isn't in Kansas anymore, we are becoming a nice sized metropolitan area. They could probably sell their homes, the property value will be higher, and then they could move away from here, hopefully to some small town far away. :D

I hope this isn't Coose Hollow Condos all over again.

MCheiss...I agree. I still wonder how many people in America truly understand what's going on over here. (Not that it should be their most pressing concern unless they live here. :rolleyes: )

There are quite a bit of people who know about NWA. I've been on business trips to Atlanta, Salt Lake City, Cincinnati, etc, and so many people have told me about the great things going on in NWA, which suprised me.

I talk to many a technician in the field all over the country and they're always asking me if the roads in Bentonville are really paved with gold. I'm like oh yeah... black gold with lots of precious potholes! :lol:

Archived