Hartford Restaurant/Retail

ctman987

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm...

I guess Pizza and Dunkin is not that bad of an IDEA -- here, the Hess Gas stations has Dunkin', Blimpie and Godfather's Pizzas, so I guess I should not be that shocked. I'd love to see Stackpole create a boywear store. I would love to see some more mom & pop businesses in downtown.

BTW, what stores will be at the new plaza where Advo and Edart was? will it be the same ho-hum stores?

JimS

I wish more mom and pop businesses are in downtown, unfortunately rents are moving up without the traffic count to justify it. On the other hand, I was told Northland has lots of lease proposals that they are reviewing. Regardless if they are chains or mom and pop shops, if they are nicely done and well run, Hartford can use the addition.

Hear that Tinker's Seafood of West Hartford is opening up a place downtown, in the Old Muni between Subway and Dunkin.

Yes i do remember reading a while back in article about SoDo that a restaurant would be opening up in the old Municipal Building. Although its a tiny building, it is historic and it has been preserved. This new restaurant will surely give SoDo residents another place to eat in addition to places like Peppercorns and the Emperor at the Linden

I wish more mom and pop businesses are in downtown, unfortunately rents are moving up without the traffic count to justify it. On the other hand, I was told Northland has lots of lease proposals that they are reviewing. Regardless if they are chains or mom and pop shops, if they are nicely done and well run, Hartford can use the addition.

jcrc:

True! Here, (sorry Mikel <not really, but... LOL>) in Channelside (the district where the Lightning arena is) we have a mix of mom and pop stores (mostly restaurants) and chains. The Channelside area is booming with new condo projects, yet it still has its industrial past. (Cargill has a grain elevator here and you'll see some frieghters at the port.)

JimS

jcrc:

True! Here, (sorry Mikel <not really, but... LOL>) in Channelside (the district where the Lightning arena is) we have a mix of mom and pop stores (mostly restaurants) and chains. The Channelside area is booming with new condo projects, yet it still has its industrial past. (Cargill has a grain elevator here and you'll see some frieghters at the port.)

JimS

Mental illness must be difficult I suppose.

Mental illness must be difficult I suppose.

mikel:

I really don't know how difficult mental illness is. I know I don't have it, so please check yourself into a HOSPITAL ASAP.

JimS

You have shown us that it truly is...

MadVlad:

LOL...you are funny!! Remind me not to argue with you..(of course, I doubt that since we both want Hartford to be the best!)

JimS

• 2 weeks later...

Any news/rumors about retail businesses coming in to Hartford? With H21 and Sage Allens ready for rental it would be good if we can get some retailers that open on weekends. We are getting more people coming in on weekend because they saw the skyline while they were on 91 and decided to make a quick detour. Most were left disappointed because there's no retailer of any sort. Practically nothing was opened on Sunday. I tried to send people to the museum but not all are into that. Maybe Hartford's landlords need to do some steep discount in order to have some non-food retailers to take a chance.

Any news/rumors about retail businesses coming in to Hartford? With H21 and Sage Allens ready for rental it would be good if we can get some retailers that open on weekends. We are getting more people coming in on weekend because they saw the skyline while they were on 91 and decided to make a quick detour. Most were left disappointed because there's no retailer of any sort. Practically nothing was opened on Sunday. I tried to send people to the museum but not all are into that. Maybe Hartford's landlords need to do some steep discount in order to have some non-food retailers to take a chance.

There seemed to be a lot of people in town on Saturday as well, wandering around looking for something to do... The science center and front street can't open soon enough.

There seemed to be a lot of people in town on Saturday as well, wandering around looking for something to do... The science center and front street can't open soon enough.

We really need these destination type of places and for retail in and around H21 to start filling up. We do seriously need some more establishments to hold visitors attention badly at this point.

Looks like the Hartford's skyline is selling itself. Tycoon is right we need to get more retail to open up in downtown.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Oft repeated, but I'll repeat it again. We need a bookstore. I do not care if its a major or independant, it simply needs to be an adequate size and exist.

I not only agree, but I also think that the opening of said bookstore--and it must be one of quality, either national or independent--will be the first sign that Hartford truly has turned the corner.

I actually have trouble understanding why retail isn't interested in that spot. There's a large daytime population and more folks have moved downtown, even if not in the numbers Northland would hope for. Moreover, the retail folks must understand the chicken-and-egg problem; only so many residents will put up with no retail, so more customers would arrive if they put their store there. I really don't get it; I'd love to know the decision-making process and what the deal-breaker is. Rents too high? Taxes too high? Just not enough folks shopping downtown? Well, of course they don't shop downtown; there's nowhere to shop downtown. Hmph.

At least the restaurant scene is starting to grow. Three new restaurants opening in the next few months.

Asian/Sushi restaurant with rooftop patio at corner of Main and Pratt (next to JoJo's) from the people of Koji and Toshi.

Fine Dining Restaurant The Fire Box near the capitol in an old brick forge.

And the restaurant at Trumbull on the Park, owners of Blue Smoke?

A few more and we might actually start to get that restaurant destination feeling...

The retail at Trumbull on the park is starting to fill up, a bit of good news...

Northland has proven fickle when it comes to retail. They seem to be very particular as to what retail goes in their buildings. I've been assuming that they've been turning down some retailers. Not sure if that's the truth, it's just what I've been assuming....

Archived