Hartford Restaurant/Retail

ctman987

I just received some great news today. First, the Bar with No Name is re-opening with uhhh... an actual name this time (to be decided though) within the next few weeks. It's a new owner so I hope they change focus and not make it a hip-hop club. That location is just too perfect for any club/bar to not do well. In other news, The Roo Bar in the West End which closed many years ago is getting a new lease on life as well. The owner announced that plans are in full swing to bring it back to its former glory except with a few new twists. Apparently it will be a tequila bar. I know that it isn't downtown but the West End's transformation on Farmington Ave. is really something to behold. Tisane, Vegas Blvd, Braza, The Half Door, Wood N' Tap, and now the Roo Bar all within easy walking distance of 1 - 5 minutes.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard that the No Name is reopening as a hip hop club but only temporarily for the next few months. Supposedly a bank has signed a lease for that space. Not sure how accurate that story is.

Also, I'm pretty sure one bedroom apartments at H21 start a lot higher than $1000 to $1200.

I know that it isn't downtown but the West End's transformation on Farmington Ave. is really something to behold. Tisane, Vegas Blvd, Braza, The Half Door, Wood N' Tap, and now the Roo Bar all within easy walking distance of 1 - 5 minutes.

I couldnt agree more...when you drive by in the summer time you will see people sitting outside at Vegas Blvd, Braza, Half Door, Tisane, Monte Alban and Wood N Tap. This area has lots of potential. The fact that Half Door, Braza, Monte Alban, Tisane, Ichiban, Vegas Blvd, Wood N Tap and now a new place at the Roo Bar are within steps of each other is awesome and gives lots of potential

The spot near city steam and next to dunkin' donuts is going to be a bakery cafe, with coffee, soup and sandwich as well, according to the building department.

Quizno was closed by the Quizno corporate headquarter, supposedly it was not up to Quizno's sanitation standard. But I also know the owner was really disappointed at the business volume and didn't want to stay.

Asylum Street's dunkin' donuts re-opened after a quick renovation. I think they put in a pizza oven.

Sage Allen is almost completed, the lady in charge of the building said the rental units will finished before the dorms, I was surprised by that because the construction workers told me the dorms will finish first. I was too busy to ask if she has a lot of rental inquiries. Does anyone know how well is Hartford 21 doing as far as residential leasing is concern? I know David Nyberg's condos are not selling well. If all these are built and not enough people come, that would really suck.

jcrc:

Dunkin' Donuts on Asylum St. has a Pizza Oven? Jeez, here, the Dunkin has Baskin-Robbins. Dunkin Pizza? Pizza and Coffee -- not the best combination.

Hartford is starting to look up!

Brooks Brothers in Hartford? It might hurt Stackpole a bit, but Stackpole should survive.

Jim S

jcrc:

Dunkin' Donuts on Asylum St. has a Pizza Oven? Jeez, here, the Dunkin has Baskin-Robbins. Dunkin Pizza? Pizza and Coffee -- not the best combination.

Hartford is starting to look up!

Brooks Brothers in Hartford? It might hurt Stackpole a bit, but Stackpole should survive.

Jim S

It's a quick way for them to grab some lunch business. Not a bad move. According to the Courant article:

"The chain chose Hartford because it considers the city and the surrounding area a key market. And Connecticut's status as arguably the pizza capital of the world"

I guess this explain why there are so few coffeehouses in Hartford. There I was thinking I just stumbled upon a gold mine....oh well :lol:

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-dunki...headlines-local

I think by next summer Pratt Street is going to be the big destination for fun seekers in the area. Joe Black's was jamming Wednesday night and all of Pratt Street was filled. Joe's is adding an outdoor patio for next summer, people are moving into Sage Allen, the sushi place will be open, Woody's Fish Tank, etc.

We need to fill Becker's (how about a diner?)

We need to fill Lux, Bond, & Green (any suggestions? Maybe move the Puket Cafe out of the top floor?)

Most important: get the owners of the parking lot at Pratt and Main to develop it and do their part by contributing to the city!!!

I think by next summer Pratt Street is going to be the big destination for fun seekers in the area. Joe Black's was jamming Wednesday night and all of Pratt Street was filled. Joe's is adding an outdoor patio for next summer, people are moving into Sage Allen, the sushi place will be open, Woody's Fish Tank, etc.

We need to fill Becker's (how about a diner?)

We need to fill Lux, Bond, & Green (any suggestions? Maybe move the Puket Cafe out of the top floor?)

Most important: get the owners of the parking lot at Pratt and Main to develop it and do their part by contributing to the city!!!

Becker's space is taken by minuteman press. Unfortunately the Thai restaurant has not open for about a week now, I hope they are not closed because the food is good. I don't know if Quizno is coming back because the construction is going to take a long time. I think the UConn store is moving but I am not sure. As far as Lux, Bond, & Green's space, it would be nice if Northland can strike a deal with LB&B and put them back on the street instead of having one tiny booth inside Stackpole, especially now that Northland booted Becker's.

Whatever development the parking lot owner decided on, I hope they take Joe Black's outdoor patio and Sushi place's rooftop dining into consideration. If I were Joe Black's owner, I'd be PO if my beautiful patio look right into a shipping and receiving dock. Personally, I won't mind the city take the place back since the developer totally renege on their promise and turn it into a park with a skating rink. Imagine all them girls with cold buns coming in for hot chocolate...cha ching with a view :lol:

Puket has great food, but terrible location.

A skating rink is a great idea. Developer Phil Schonberger owns the parking lot. Maybe the Pratt folks, or the owners of JoJos, Black's and Sushi should get him and John Palmieri (Hartford econ dev.) togethyer and get a plan

Was downtown today and stopped by the Dunkin Donuts on Asylum...the one with the pizza.

I have to say I was extremly impressed. They redid the interior of the whole store, the menu is completly revised to include flat bread sandwiches, pizzas and mini hot dogs. The staff was extremly friendly & informative as well.

The day after Thanksgiving when the suburbs were mobbed with shoppers, there were a decent amount of folks downtown but many downtown places were closed...but the Dunkin Donuts on Asylum was open and hopping...I personally like the new menu & concept..

Phil Schonberger is an idiot. His name keeps popping up as a developer, but everything he touchs seems like crap. The city needs to shake his tree....

He's the one who bought the property that was supposed to be developed for Rennaisance Place. It never got built, Main St. Market was evicted and we were left with another surface parking lot.

He's the one who bought the property that was supposed to be developed for Rennaisance Place. It never got built, Main St. Market was evicted and we were left with another surface parking lot.

Me and you are right there together with this. It's funny, I got this thread and the Sage Allen thread mixed up, but they are going in the same direction...

Who knows maybe Rennaisance Place will be revisted someday.

It's a quick way for them to grab some lunch business. Not a bad move. According to the Courant article:

"The chain chose Hartford because it considers the city and the surrounding area a key market. And Connecticut's status as arguably the pizza capital of the world"

I guess this explain why there are so few coffeehouses in Hartford. There I was thinking I just stumbled upon a gold mine....oh well :lol:

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-dunki...headlines-local

Hmmm...

I guess Pizza and Dunkin is not that bad of an IDEA -- here, the Hess Gas stations has Dunkin', Blimpie and Godfather's Pizzas, so I guess I should not be that shocked. I'd love to see Stackpole create a boywear store. I would love to see some more mom & pop businesses in downtown.

BTW, what stores will be at the new plaza where Advo and Edart was? will it be the same ho-hum stores?

JimS

Hmmm...

I guess Pizza and Dunkin is not that bad of an IDEA -- here, the Hess Gas stations has Dunkin', Blimpie and Godfather's Pizzas, so I guess I should not be that shocked. I'd love to see Stackpole create a boywear store. I would love to see some more mom & pop businesses in downtown.

BTW, what stores will be at the new plaza where Advo and Edart was? will it be the same ho-hum stores?

JimS

More useless Florida crap. There's gotta be a board for it.

Mikel, why harass someone that is being completely non threatening....honestly, you come across as a complete punk. I'll give you that every once in a while...maybe 10% of the time you contribute something useful....I am completely sick of your garbage. I've been reading everyone else's rantings about you, and I guess this posting is relatively mild compared to some of your BS, but I've finally reached my tipping point.

More useless Florida crap. There's gotta be a board for it.

mikel:

More useless Florida crap? Jeez, Mikel, I'm taking my view of Hartford and Connecticut from a viewpoint that is an INTERESTED bystander. Yes, We have a Florida board here. I do read it..and I do post -- HOWEVER, as someone who grew up in Connecticut, I want to see Connecticut get its MOJO back -- being one of the USA's great states -- however, with the tax and spenders -- it won't be.. people will move businesses and themselves out of HIGH TAX states and relocate them in LOW TAX states.

Mikel, why are you on here for -- your negetative attitude is NOT HELPING!!

JimS (trying to help Hartford, Connecticut and New England become what itwas -- a great place do to business!!)

Archived