Hartford Restaurant/Retail

ctman987

Some things I'd like to see...

Well I'd love to see lots of Mom and Pop type boutique shops, but there are a few "chains" that would be welcomed additions downtown..

Staples (or a staples express)

Borders Bookstore

Newbury Comics - or something similar

Moe's or Qdoba

• 2 months later...

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They chose the bank? Too bad.

What a boring corner Trumbull and Asylum will be: 3 banks!

A nice bar, restaurant, or store would have been better.

Hmm...

What bank is coming? Here on the corner of US 301 and Big Bend Road we have at the moment 4 banks. A bank from Long Island, NY is looking to open a banch here. I'd like to see Webster open a bank here. I still got my account at Webster.

JimS

Hartford should really get Patrick Lyons from up in Boston to come down and see what he could do for the city's nightlife. He runs about 15 venues up in Boston and a couple down at Foxwoods I believe, and all are excellent. He turned an old movie theater into an upscale bowling alley, "Kings," which I think would be an awesome idea for a place like Front Street because it is a destination much like a Jillians/Lucky Strike or Dave&Busters would be. Lyons also runs a Newbury Street trendy restaurant and a Pacific Island themed bar called "Tiki Room" among the many. If Hartford had someone thinking outside the box a bit I think it would do wonders for the nightlife scene.

What I'd love to see is a few nightclubs that does cater to the 'Baby Boom' generation. Hip-Hop clubs needs to be part of the nightclub scene, but also clubs for others, too. For instance, gay youth (14 to 17 year olds) should have a nightclub that'll serve NON-ALCOHOLIC DRINKS, maybe a night club for recovering alcoolics (even people who are friends of Bill W, like to listen to music), and maybe a club catering to families (who are visiting Hartford).

I'd love to see some 'Chain stores' in downtown. I'd love to see mom & pop stores catering to the new residents to open - and still I'd love to see a revival of 'Cheese & Stuff' and have it moved to downtown, too. I also, would love to see a revival of 'Huntington Books' with a coffee area.

Also, to help families move into Hartford, I'd love to see a charter school/private school middle - high school complex (with aeronautic and naval studies, along with traditional courses) in downtown - or maybe north of downtown. (CRT had a boatbuilding course back in the late 80s early to mid 90s for minority teens). I'd love to see the school offering about computer sciences, too.

JimS

Some things I'd like to see...

Well I'd love to see lots of Mom and Pop type boutique shops, but there are a few "chains" that would be welcomed additions downtown..

Staples (or a staples express)

Borders Bookstore

Newbury Comics - or something similar

Moe's or Qdoba

sp1dey:

Moe's is good!! I'd love to see Hartford get a LeeRoy Solomon's Steakhouse. I'd love to see Hartford with a Staple Express, since there isn't an office supply store in downtown Hartford. Border's or B&N would be nice - but I'd love to see SOMEONE take a chance and revive 'Huntington's of Hartford Books.'

JimS

sp1dey:

Moe's is good!! I'd love to see Hartford get a LeeRoy Solomon's Steakhouse. I'd love to see Hartford with a Staple Express, since there isn't an office supply store in downtown Hartford. Border's or B&N would be nice - but I'd love to see SOMEONE take a chance and revive 'Huntington's of Hartford Books.'

JimS

Others:

- Rein's: great deli, just opened in Springfield, used to be in the Civic Center

- Toad's: discussed on Front St. thread

- Golfer's Warehouse: smaller version of the one on Brainard, which tons of office workers go to at lunch

Also, like it or not, every convention center needs a 'red light' district - I propose somewhere between Colt and CC.

1. The Emperor Restaurant (corner of Capitol & Main) opens November 17th

2. Temptations (Asylum) nightclub opens this week

3. Whims & Fancy Gift & Card Shop (Asylum)

4. La Terra (Pratt Street) opens this week

5. Sally's Fish Camp (Ann Street) opens this week

6. Unnamed Restaurant (Trumbull Place) opens soon

Please add if you know any

1. The Emperor Restaurant (corner of Capitol & Main) opens November 17th

2. Temptations (Asylum) nightclub opens this week

3. Whims & Fancy Gift & Card Shop (Asylum)

4. La Terra (Pratt Street) opens this week

5. Sally's Fish Camp (Ann Street) opens this week

6. Unnamed Restaurant (Trumbull Place) opens soon

Please add if you know any

So a little help...

Where will Temptations and Whims & Fancy gift shop be on Asylum??

Where will La Terra be on Pratt Street? (wherever it will be, it will be nice to see another place open on Pratt to make up for the recent loses of No Fish Today and Becker's)

Sally's Fish Camp...is this the old Pasti's?...if so they did that conversion quickly

Trumbull Place??? where is this??

The Emperer has had more false starts over the last two years than the Bond Hotel.

The club on Asylum is opening in the old Fuel Nightclub.

I think he meant "Trumbull Center" which I heard was going to be a seafood restaurant. Someone told me who was opening it a few weeks ago, but I can't remember...

Every city does have an area where there are chain stores built into their urban setting except for Hartford which has some chains on the edges of the city in suburban type structres

In New York City there is Times Square (for one example), in Baltimore the Inner Harbor, in Providence the Providence Place Mall, in Boston theres Downtown Crossing....etc.

Hartford could benefit if its done right where these chain stores are brought into retail spaces that are already there / new constructed...at Hartford 21 for example, at the American Airlines Building, etc....so that they are not big stand alone structures with their own parking lots.

For example CVS downtown does a great business...its always packed.

And there are a ton of major corporations downtown which even without residents downtown makes it very feasable to have a Staples or Office Depot

The Emperer has had more false starts over the last two years than the Bond Hotel.

The club on Asylum is opening in the old Fuel Nightclub.

I think he meant "Trumbull Center" which I heard was going to be a seafood restaurant. Someone told me who was opening it a few weeks ago, but I can't remember...

Trumbull on the Park restaurant is being opened by the people who own Blue Smoke in Bloomfield.

What I'd love to see is a few nightclubs that does cater to the 'Baby Boom' generation. Hip-Hop clubs needs to be part of the nightclub scene, but also clubs for others, too. For instance, gay youth (14 to 17 year olds) should have a nightclub that'll serve NON-ALCOHOLIC DRINKS, maybe a night club for recovering alcoolics (even people who are friends of Bill W, like to listen to music), and maybe a club catering to families (who are visiting Hartford).

I'd love to see some 'Chain stores' in downtown. I'd love to see mom & pop stores catering to the new residents to open - and still I'd love to see a revival of 'Cheese & Stuff' and have it moved to downtown, too. I also, would love to see a revival of 'Huntington Books' with a coffee area.

Also, to help families move into Hartford, I'd love to see a charter school/private school middle - high school complex (with aeronautic and naval studies, along with traditional courses) in downtown - or maybe north of downtown. (CRT had a boatbuilding course back in the late 80s early to mid 90s for minority teens). I'd love to see the school offering about computer sciences, too.

JimS

Allright, for a while it wasn't entirely clear, but today you're rambling nonsensically about banks in Florida as if anyone cares, and now advocating discos for gay 14-year-olds, it's now completely obviously you're just a very wierd dude.

At least you're Florida's problem now.

:rofl:

Allright, for a while it wasn't entirely clear, but today you're rambling nonsensically about banks in Florida as if anyone cares, and now advocating discos for gay 14-year-olds, it's now completely obviously you're just a very wierd dude.

At least you're Florida's problem now.

:rofl: This gave me the biggest laugh of the day.

Trumbull on the Park restaurant is being opened by the people who own Blue Smoke in Bloomfield.

Thanks for the reminder!

Ambassador to India is opening at 960 Main on Market St. I stuck my head in and construction is in full swing. They've built a mezzanine that overlooks their main dining room. I hope they do well.... that's a tough spot for dinner.

So a little help...

Where will Temptations and Whims & Fancy gift shop be on Asylum??

Where will La Terra be on Pratt Street? (wherever it will be, it will be nice to see another place open on Pratt to make up for the recent loses of No Fish Today and Becker's)

Sally's Fish Camp...is this the old Pasti's?...if so they did that conversion quickly

Trumbull Place??? where is this??

The card shop is next to the Camera Bar I believe. La Terra (The Ground in Italian...or The Earth depending on how you want to look at it) is opening between Foot Stop and Rose Gourmet. But it's the same people (Bosnian or Albanian I believe, not Italian) who ran Cugino's, they just moved across the street.

Isn't No Fish Today still open?

My aunt's brother owns Blue Smoke in Bloomfield and I have known for a while that he was interested in setting up a restaurant downtown this year too. I'm all for it because as nice as it is, going to the Wintonbury Plaza in Bloomfield is not the sort of place I associate with fine dining. My cousin works as a waitress there, I'll have to ask her for more info.

My aunt's brother owns Blue Smoke in Bloomfield and I have known for a while that he was interested in setting up a restaurant downtown this year too. I'm all for it because as nice as it is, going to the Wintonbury Plaza in Bloomfield is not the sort of place I associate with fine dining. My cousin works as a waitress there, I'll have to ask her for more info.

Blue Smoke is nice. I ate there once and the food was very good and the prices reasonable. Wintonbury Mall needs a makeover in the worst way. Especially now with a dead movie theater in the middle of it. Bloomfield Center has tons of potential if it's ever developed correctly. They need something mixed use that would appeal to the UHart kids and entry level Cigna employees.

Archived