Hartford Restaurant/Retail

ctman987

I actually have trouble understanding why retail isn't interested in that spot. There's a large daytime population and more folks have moved downtown, even if not in the numbers Northland would hope for. Moreover, the retail folks must understand the chicken-and-egg problem; only so many residents will put up with no retail, so more customers would arrive if they put their store there. I really don't get it; I'd love to know the decision-making process and what the deal-breaker is. Rents too high? Taxes too high? Just not enough folks shopping downtown? Well, of course they don't shop downtown; there's nowhere to shop downtown. Hmph.

I heard both Borders or Barnes and Noble rejected H21. The decision making process for national chains is simple, they need people with money. They are not interested in the chicken and egg dilemma, they go where their scorecard tell them. If you look at towns with a Barnes and Noble they have at least 30,000 in population. Office workers only have a limited lunch time, in retailer's eye they are not real shoppers. Only local retailers who know the market and has less stringent site selection requirement will consider Hartford, but the rent is probably way too high for them.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Northland is being very selective with about their tenants. That being said, their rents are very high for downtown Hartford.... although nowhere near as high as Blue Back Square.

As for the condos at the Y, I don't see how one impacts the other. Condos are still selling briskly downtown and always will in the Hartford area. Its like comparing apples and oranges.

1) The Fire Box -- that's awesome news. I work near the capitol and have found it surprising that, given the large number of workers at the law firms by the superior court, court staff, capitol staff and lobbyists, and the Courant, there isn't much of a restaurant scene here. Great building.

2) Condos downtown; are they selling? How's the building on Pearl St. doing? Anybody know?

3) H21 B&N and Borders. What's been said makes sense; they have very specific numbers and that's that. But I've seen Borders begin downtown renaissances (Mount Kisco NY for one). I think they'd have to factor in "growth" (which is the polite term for the chicken and egg theory). I'm glad Northland is picky though. I realize beggars can't be choosers, but if you let just anything move in, that deteres upscale tenants and you get caught in a cycle. If they snag one big tenant, I'd imagine a number would follow. We just need to get somebody prominent to commit to downtown.

1) The Fire Box -- that's awesome news. I work near the capitol and have found it surprising that, given the large number of workers at the law firms by the superior court, court staff, capitol staff and lobbyists, and the Courant, there isn't much of a restaurant scene here. Great building.

2) Condos downtown; are they selling? How's the building on Pearl St. doing? Anybody know?

3) H21 B&N and Borders. What's been said makes sense; they have very specific numbers and that's that. But I've seen Borders begin downtown renaissances (Mount Kisco NY for one). I think they'd have to factor in "growth" (which is the polite term for the chicken and egg theory). I'm glad Northland is picky though. I realize beggars can't be choosers, but if you let just anything move in, that deteres upscale tenants and you get caught in a cycle. If they snag one big tenant, I'd imagine a number would follow. We just need to get somebody prominent to commit to downtown.

I cincur an anchor tenant would cause a chain reaction of new retail downtown....

• 3 months later...

New Indian Restaurant Masala has opened up, tough location though on the corner of Capitol and Main. I ate there the other night and the food was incredible, the best Indian food I've had outside of Tabla in New York. Hopefully this place can make a stay of it... Also Firebox is open, had a great lunch there. I can't help but think Hartford's restaurant scene is burgeoning, now if we can just fill up some of that empty retail space, and get more people to venture into the city to try these great new restaurants.

• 4 weeks later...

More good news on the restaurant scene as the owners of Elbow room have opened in the West End. I like how all these are independent restaurants, West Hartford and Manchester can keep the generic chains...

Elbow Into West Wings Bar And Grill

article from the Courant

I was very pleased to read about this today. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try them out soon.

I was very pleased to read about this today. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try them out soon.

I've been to the Elbow Room in West Hartford, and the food was awesome. West Wings Bar And Grill should do very well in Hartford.

I've been to the Elbow Room in West Hartford, and the food was awesome. West Wings Bar And Grill should do very well in Hartford.

The Hartford location is more of a sports Bar, tons of TV's, Beer and wings...

At least I found out where to go on Sunday's now that football season is starting...

• 4 months later...

Manhattan-Style Restaurant Opening Downtown

according to the HBJ.

It really seems as though the resturaant scene here is in a constant state of improvement. We can complain all we want about retail, but at this point it would be better to spend that energy on hailing our resturant options.

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/news4311.html

Manhattan-Style Restaurant Opening Downtown

according to the HBJ.

It really seems as though the resturaant scene here is in a constant state of improvement. We can complain all we want about retail, but at this point it would be better to spend that energy on hailing our resturant options.

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/news4311.html

This article states that there are 1500 people living downtown, up only 300 since the 2000 census. Surely we've added more people than that? I've been under the impression that downtown had 2000+ residents by now.

I saw this morning that the location that had Global Gourmet has a sign in the wondow. it said coming soon: something Bistro. ok so I forgot, but it is a bistro of some sort.

It is a VERY GOOD SIGN that something would move into a space immediately after something else closes.

There is faith, belief, sound optimism in downtowns resturant scene.

Chessplayer, I would not wory about their 1500 number in that article. its speculation just like your 2000 number.

I would think that any increase is good right now, and as more and more projects go online this number can only increse. just check that residential projects thread I started. There are a lot of units in the pipeline.

Also wanted to add that I ate at Tapas on Friday night as was very impressed. Best Greek food since my honeymoon in Greece. It;s not necessarily traditional, but its greek themed or greek inspired for sure. I had no idea it was a greek place I thought it was a tapas resturant. Now I want to open a Spanish tapas resturant in town. haha. ok I am not a resturanteur, but well someone should

I saw this morning that the location that had Global Gourmet has a sign in the wondow. it said coming soon: something Bistro. ok so I forgot, but it is a bistro of some sort.

It is a VERY GOOD SIGN that something would move into a space immediately after something else closes.

There is faith, belief, sound optimism in downtowns resturant scene.

Chessplayer, I would not wory about their 1500 number in that article. its speculation just like your 2000 number.

I would think that any increase is good right now, and as more and more projects go online this number can only increse. just check that residential projects thread I started. There are a lot of units in the pipeline.

Also wanted to add that I ate at Tapas on Friday night as was very impressed. Best Greek food since my honeymoon in Greece. It;s not necessarily traditional, but its greek themed or greek inspired for sure. I had no idea it was a greek place I thought it was a tapas resturant. Now I want to open a Spanish tapas resturant in town. haha. ok I am not a resturanteur, but well someone should

That sign is on the window of where Eurocafe was, for only a very short amount of time unfortunately (I wanted a gelato the other day). Global Gourmet is that place inside the G. Fox building that has no street presence.

That sign is on the window of where Eurocafe was, for only a very short amount of time unfortunately (I wanted a gelato the other day). Global Gourmet is that place inside the G. Fox building that has no street presence.

I am sorry, yes, you are right, it was on the place outside. regardless the fact that something is replacing it quickly is good.

Another change is that over the weekend State house square renovated the hall way leading into their food court and made room for another store. I am sure it will just be another coffe place, but demand is demand. and beggers cant be choosers.

I am sorry, yes, you are right, it was on the place outside. regardless the fact that something is replacing it quickly is good.

Another change is that over the weekend State house square renovated the hall way leading into their food court and made room for another store. I am sure it will just be another coffe place, but demand is demand. and beggers cant be choosers.

I am not 100% certain, but I think the owners of Eurocafe are re-doing the place. Regarding another coffee place, my wife and I approached State House Square for a space before taking the Pratt Street location, but was told they don't want another coffee shop. But with a change in owners and management you might be correct. However, if I were looking to stake my claim in Hartford, I'd take the former Sovereign Bank location.

I heard the tail end of a commercial on WCCC on the ride home today that mentioned a new bar opening up on Main Street in Hartford. Didn't get the specific address, however the name of the joint had "ladder" in it. I can't for the life of me remember the full name. The name sounded like a play on a firehouse. It was something and ladder.

Hook and Ladder, that was it!

Anyone know about it or its location?

I heard the tail end of a commercial on WCCC on the ride home today that mentioned a new bar opening up on Main Street in Hartford. Didn't get the specific address, however the name of the joint had "ladder" in it. I can't for the life of me remember the full name. The name sounded like a play on a firehouse. It was something and ladder.

Hook and Ladder, that was it!

Anyone know about it or its location?

I think it's across from 250 Main....

I definately checking this place out soon. Maybe tonight, since I do live across the street. Seems to be just about the type of place I wanted nearby.

The wife talked about heading there tonight as well. Food is half price for the soft opening, so its a nice way to check the place out. The menu and web site is nicely done. If this place turns into what I think it might I will be seeking the owner out to make a suggestion to them. There was a great police/firemans bar in St Paul MN that aranged a short bus ride to every home game for hockey basketball game.

the right bar with good advertising could do the same here in hartford. bar gets business. patrons get free parking for the event and a nice comefortable tailgate. Uconn Football and basketball and wolfpack wuld work.

We had dinner there tonight. just got home. The wings were very good!

I wont give my full opinion because its a soft opening, but it seems like a good place and will be a really nice addition to Hartford. If Plaza Mayor could ever be built this area could be great.

Anyhoo I suggest people check this place out. Its not fancy like most places that have come to Hartford lately and I think thats a good thing. The more normal people that come to grab a bite in this part of town the more comfortable they will be with the idea that Hartford is not a cesspool of crime.

forgot to add that the new place they are building in the hall way of State house Square is going to be some kind of Sushi place. I just heard today, and will update if anything comes about.

We had dinner there tonight. just got home. The wings were very good!

I wont give my full opinion because its a soft opening, but it seems like a good place and will be a really nice addition to Hartford. If Plaza Mayor could ever be built this area could be great.

Anyhoo I suggest people check this place out. Its not fancy like most places that have come to Hartford lately and I think thats a good thing. The more normal people that come to grab a bite in this part of town the more comfortable they will be with the idea that Hartford is not a cesspool of crime.

forgot to add that the new place they are building in the hall way of State house Square is going to be some kind of Sushi place. I just heard today, and will update if anything comes about.

I just got back from over there. Definately a nice casual sort of place. I thought it was decent given how new the place is. They were running short on a few menu items though. The wings were definitely very good.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a new bar/lounge opening in the Brickyards old spot- sometime in mid-March. I know that isn't technically restaurant/retail, but it is a business that will attract more people to stay downtown. Looks like they're target is a younger crowd than Max, but older than Up Or On The Rocks.

Is this 113 Allyn St?

Archived