Hartford Restaurant/Retail

ctman987

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Say your good byes to Coaches.

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/news4864.html

do not be upset however, because 22 Nitelife is just selling it to a group from Stamford and turning it into Black Bear Saloon. They operate 5 others, and are looking to grow their chain. They also operate two other themed resturant chains, Thirsty Turtle and Hula Hanks. The end of the article mentions that they usually enter each market with more than one of the chains.

I checked out the new Club Palace on Allyn St last night and as far as nightclubs go in this area, the layout blows everything else away. This club is where Brickyard used to be and they had a pretty big crowd and it was definitely popping last night with St. Patty's revelers all over the place downtown.

There is a new bar/lounge opening in the Brickyards old spot- sometime in mid-March. I know that isn't technically restaurant/retail, but it is a business that will attract more people to stay downtown. Looks like they're target is a younger crowd than Max, but older than Up Or On The Rocks.

I went this weekend... its called "Palace." Its still looks and feels like the Brickyard but they did upgrade it. They still have the sports bar on the top floor, the club in the back and the lounge in the front. Its huge, so I expect that they will eventually be drawing a younger crowd. Good to have it open again.

It's good to see that places are constantly opening or if something closes it is quickly replaced. I think downtown has secured its place as the center for nightlife in these parts. I know thats how it should be, but but with sururban flight as strong as it was around here its good to see downtown holding on and growing with entertainment options.

as far as Coaches, and the Black bear chain I have heard good things about that place from young people.

http://www.blackbearstamford.com/

(Hartford, New Haven, Stamford, South Norwalk White Plains, Nyack NY)

this link will give you an idea what it will look like. Obviously the Hartford link does not go to anything but their hiring form as of yet but the Stamford one gives you an idea what their theme is.

http://www.hulahanks.com/

New Haven

Stamford

http://www.thethirstyturtle.net/

Stamford

White Plains

http://www.kellysirishpub.net/

White Plains

http://www.rt22restaurant.com/

Stamford

Armonk NY

Looks like they have quite a little growing empire. Not sure if any of their places really suit me, but I think that many of the young people around here will like their presence quite a bit. I want that resturant space on Pratt filled that these guys turned down for BlackBear. I hope someone ends up taking that spot. Their Rt 22 theme would work nicely downtown as there is currently nothing like it. Just wooster ST pizza in Manchester, so I think Downtown would do well with a theme bar like that.

anyhoo, its all just conjecture.

My wife and I ate at Fire Box last Friday night on Broad Street. It was great. I would rate Fire Box as one of the best restaurants in Hartford.

I am buying a house 1 block over from there right now :) The area is not as bad as you think. and if it was it is getting better. Places like firebox, the farmers market, and the rest of the work that the Lyceum are helping things around there. I know all 3 of my tennants are good upstanding people who just happen to be unable to afford a nicer area. I am very bullish on this area (obviously, otherwise I would not sink my life savings into it) and think that with the things the Lyceum are doing and mayor Perez has pledged, and the lofts proposed on Capitol that the perception will change over there.

I am buying a house 1 block over from there right now :) The area is not as bad as you think. and if it was it is getting better. Places like firebox, the farmers market, and the rest of the work that the Lyceum are helping things around there. I know all 3 of my tennants are good upstanding people who just happen to be unable to afford a nicer area. I am very bullish on this area (obviously, otherwise I would not sink my life savings into it) and think that with the things the Lyceum are doing and mayor Perez has pledged, and the lofts proposed on Capitol that the perception will change over there.

My first year out of school I lived in the apartment complex that Firebox is part of. I lived there for a year.

My first year out of school I lived in the apartment complex that Firebox is part of. I lived there for a year.

140 Russ Street? Hahaha, the first year we were in Hartford and didn't know any better, that's where we lived. We put up with kids smoking pots at the side entrance and just pissed there, and the beotch (I mean female canine) manager who had our cars towed twice even though we had their parking stickers and parked at spots assigned to us. But we drew the line when the bed room ceiling caved in due to heavy rain and the slum lord took two months to fixed it and had the audacity to demanded rent for those two months when they were supposed to put us in another unit but never did.

I don't know why Fire Box selected that location, because the neighbor, not unsafe, is not great. But I will definitely go there again and again and again.

I don't know why Fire Box selected that location, because the neighbor, not unsafe, is not great. But I will definitely go there again and again and again.

I'm sure it was a bargain, as far a rent goes compared to Downtown or West Hartford, and the product is good enough to keep people coming back. Also, it sound as if some things are improving there, so maybe they made a good forward-looking decision.

http://www.lyceumcenter.org/index.php?opti...ge&Itemid=1

Well the Lyceum apparently developed the Billings forge into what it is now and then sold it to a Boston based company that has also bought many of the surrounding 3 families. They are actively trying to improve the units and the people living in them the area. From what I heard this weekend the area is on the verge of pushing for college kids and recent college grads. This would make it a mix of section 8 and young people. In time the section 8 would slowly be priced out, but that wont be for a while since they pay very good rent. The Lyceum works with the community and organizes neighborhood watches etc. There are really only a few buildings that are part of the problem. It is my understanding that companies like New Song LLC and the Lyceum are trying to buy them and rehab them. I am lucky they did not snatch up the house I am buying. They did get the neighbors all around it though.

Firebox

Billings forge farmers market

Lyceum confrence center

Red Rock Cafe

The Pantry:happyness

and

billings forge center for community

all go a long way towards fixing up the area.

Also Billings forge and the Lyceum building are in Impecable shape.

I hope to be able to buy another building in the area before things get nice over there. but thats just greed talking.

http://www.lyceumcenter.org/index.php?opti...ge&Itemid=1

Well the Lyceum apparently developed the Billings forge into what it is now and then sold it to a Boston based company that has also bought many of the surrounding 3 families. They are actively trying to improve the units and the people living in them the area. From what I heard this weekend the area is on the verge of pushing for college kids and recent college grads. This would make it a mix of section 8 and young people. In time the section 8 would slowly be priced out, but that wont be for a while since they pay very good rent. The Lyceum works with the community and organizes neighborhood watches etc. There are really only a few buildings that are part of the problem. It is my understanding that companies like New Song LLC and the Lyceum are trying to buy them and rehab them. I am lucky they did not snatch up the house I am buying. They did get the neighbors all around it though.

Firebox

Billings forge farmers market

Lyceum confrence center

Red Rock Cafe

The Pantry:happyness

and

billings forge center for community

all go a long way towards fixing up the area.

Also Billings forge and the Lyceum building are in Impecable shape.

I hope to be able to buy another building in the area before things get nice over there. but thats just greed talking.

When I lived there 3 years ago billings forge (140 Russ Street) was in terrible shape and totally mis-managed. The building changed hand just as we moved.

When I lived there 3 years ago billings forge (140 Russ Street) was in terrible shape and totally mis-managed. The building changed hand just as we moved.

Is that when firebox was opened? from what I have gathered its a fairly new place right?

I also know that Redrock has just been fixed up. Its very nice looking and set for capitol hill patronage. If you look at the st pattys day pictures on the courant it made it in a few of the earlier ones.

Is that when firebox was opened? from what I have gathered its a fairly new place right?

I also know that Redrock has just been fixed up. Its very nice looking and set for capitol hill patronage. If you look at the st pattys day pictures on the courant it made it in a few of the earlier ones.

When I was there, Fire Box's location had a Latin American restaurant and then it closed. The whole area left such a negative memory for my wife and I had it not been Fire Box we would never stop by. But its good to know that area is in someone's investment plate.

The basement of 140 Russ is a nightmare. Working for the phone company, we have to go in that basement from time to time. The lights are on timers, so you turn it all the way and have about 15 minutes to finish what you are doing. You have to walk down this long, dank corridor, and the lights are just naked bulb hanging from wires. The rest is dark, and there are pits down there where old furnaces and things are, they aren't marked, and someone that is unwary could easily fall in them. Oh, the pits are filled with slime, water and grease, lest I forget to mention that. There are also rats and other vermin down there, and water dripping everywhere, so it's had to tell if something is moving or just dripping. Then the lights go out, and you're in the dark. We are required to have 2 men when going in that building.

The basement of 140 Russ is a nightmare. Working for the phone company, we have to go in that basement from time to time. The lights are on timers, so you turn it all the way and have about 15 minutes to finish what you are doing. You have to walk down this long, dank corridor, and the lights are just naked bulb hanging from wires. The rest is dark, and there are pits down there where old furnaces and things are, they aren't marked, and someone that is unwary could easily fall in them. Oh, the pits are filled with slime, water and grease, lest I forget to mention that. There are also rats and other vermin down there, and water dripping everywhere, so it's had to tell if something is moving or just dripping. Then the lights go out, and you're in the dark. We are required to have 2 men when going in that building.

:o What?! Um, that sounds terrible.

there was a nice little piece about hartford in the new york times:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/03/21/trave...ford&st=nyt

also, does anyone listen to "the herd" on 1410 am? this guy has a national show and references hartford often. 10am - 1pm. never heard him say anything negative with the exception of the weather. he is a west coast guy though, so he can't help himself.

The new sushi place in State House Square is open now.

Blackstone. good article on Hartford. Its funny reading it you can tell exactly where the writer walked and ate and stayed, and they really did not look to far afield from there. But its still the kind of article that might make an art buff want to check out hartford.

Colin Cowherd always speaks nicely of the Hartford area, love that show. I actually think he enjoys living here, which is sometimes a problem with some for the younger ESPN guys. He does say that Hartford is stripper-poor, but what can you do....

55 on the Park?

The for lease signs are down on the first floor and it appears there is work being done. Restaurant?

This sounds promising.

I am still waiting on seeing whatever they are working on in the American Airlines building as well as waiting patienly for the city to let Kyto finish their roof top bar.

With Citi closing there will need to be some positive signs around there to counter the empty space.

Archived