TallyVision

Florida

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My EyeBud 800's provide a virutal 105" screen from my iPod video out. It's really pretty remarkable. Sorry for any confusion, HUD means Head Up Display. I should have said "virtual display" instead.

haha I see...nice! I actually havent bought into the whole iPod saga yet I still have my old school mp3 player that I run with. Thats nice though. Ill still take my HD Plasma ;)

• 1 month later...

Tallahassee Media Still a sore spot for this community

Saturday I had the privledge of speaking with Mr. Robert Burns, the former main anchor on WTXL's ABC 27. I found some of the things he said both interesting and shocking. It appears he also agrees with many of us that the news presentations in our market are sub-quality. He says he made numerous efforts to improve things while at 27, but directors saw it another way. I failed to ask him how much good news graphics cost, but he and I touched on a number of issues, some mainly dealing with the talent of the cast, and the low wages they are earning, especially at News Channel 27.

It appears, as far as the talent question is concerned, there are no veteran leaders at 27 to be of example to the younger people. As a result, stumbling, poor segways, unprofessional looking graphics, and the overall presentation suffers.

Who choses the headlines? He says that's left up to the news director, who in his opinion is "set in her ways".

How do we send a message, loud and clear, that Tallahassee deserves a news channel that can compare with any of the other channels in other major cities in Florida. I don't think we have to be a very large market, to put together an interesting show.

30 minutes of news on WCTV last night, and not a mention of the Wal-Mart issue, the FSU Center of Excellence, the money that could be coming for Capital Circle? MikeMcCall, how is it that you all have time to do news in so many different locations, and yet omit so many important events.

The Tallahassee Democrat is still without a real business section. Their coverage hasn't really improved either. What are we to do as a community. I'm frustrated with local media.

Did Burns mention that things might change once WTXL moves into its new "digs" sometime soon? I have hopes things may improve over there once they move. WTXL now needs another main anchor and a new sports anchor.

Now instead of sitting through the news on WCTV, I just go to their website and look at their top stories. Most of them I already know from reading the Democrat or from reading here. In fairness to WCTV, their DMA runs from Jasper to Valdosta to Bainbridge to the coast so in order to be fair to their market, they must do some stories outside of Leon. I think just about half or just slightly more than half their market is in Leon.

As for the Democrat, I'm not a huge fan of theirs, but it's about the best place for me to get news locally. I wish they'd concentrate more on good reporting and news than on their new blogs, chat boards and feedback comments.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I've seen much better local news programs in markets the same size and much smaller then ours. Remember there are 210 DMA's and we are ranked 108, so we are a mid-sized market. However most only care about the top 50 markets.

I do like Wxman Mike b/c he personalizes the weather and tells me in the fall/winter that there will be frost/freeze in most areas, but poonther you guys downtown need not worry. Most other wxfolks don't do that. Thanks Mike more saving me time not having to bring in or cover my tropicals. :)

Mike's leadership to WCTV is great. I also like Nucatolla, Julie, and most of the other veterans. But the choice of what to report concerns me. Why not an hour long news cast at 10?

I would love for WCTV to do an hour long at 11, or put more time and money in to FOX 49 and make it an hour long. Most FOX affiliates do an hour long broadcast at 11.

I see what you mean about local stories, but I was just thinking that they needed to maybe put more emphasis on national stories, rather than reporting mostly the same stories at every broadcast throughout the day. National news is always happening. Tallahassee can be a slow news producer, and when you go looking for/making stories, thats when it gets bad!

Didnt someone say FOX 49 put up a high-def antenna? Why isnt the channel being broadcast in HD all the time yet?

I would love for WCTV to do an hour long at 11, or put more time and money in to FOX 49 and make it an hour long. Most FOX affiliates do an hour long broadcast at 11.

I see what you mean about local stories, but I was just thinking that they needed to maybe put more emphasis on national stories, rather than reporting mostly the same stories at every broadcast throughout the day. National news is always happening. Tallahassee can be a slow news producer, and when you go looking for/making stories, thats when it gets bad!

Didnt someone say FOX 49 put up a high-def antenna? Why isnt the channel being broadcast in HD all the time yet?

I have FOX HD. CBS, NBC and ESPN are better in quality.

In most major markets, Fox affiliates do an hour long newscast at 10pm eastern, not 11pm. NBC, CBS and ABC can't do an hour long broadcast at 11pm b/c of their agreements w/the networks at 11:35 to run Nightline, Letterman and Leno.

In Tally from 5pm until 11:30pm we have 4 newscast (2 hours of news.) IMHO opinion I think that's enough time to cover our news events of the day. Our local news just needs to stick to more timely news and in-depth reporting and cut out all the "fluff" and "feel-good" stories.

In Tally from 5pm until 11:30pm we have 4 newscast (2 hours of news.) IMHO opinion I think that's enough time to cover our news events of the day. Our local news just needs to stick to more timely news and in-depth reporting and cut out all the "fluff" and "feel-good" stories.

I agree. Yesterday they probably spent more time talking about how much someone paid for a Baked Strucell is some far off city than any of the major local stories or national headlines.

• 1 month later...

OK, I've been silent enough on this subject for too long. Does anyone else find the Holiday decorations at the news desk at WCTV 6 tacky, annoying and way too "small-townish?" I'm all for tasteful decorations: wreaths, poinsettias etc, but putting that crawling swag ( I like to call it the Christmas Serpent) on top of the desk just doesn't cut it. It looks like it's going to come to life and strangle the news guys, plus it's just too distracting when you are trying to watch the news. The darn thing even has a few fake birds in it if you look closely. Whoever was in charge of that should be tied to a chair a beat w/it.

I agree with your perception of their decor Poonther, but honestly, are you surprised? This is what we've been saying about them all along. They're "Small town minded" in nearly everything they do. It's so irritating, but it seems we're powerless to make any changes. I have had thoughts of writing CBS, FOX, and ABC's national HQs just to fill them in on what's going on in Tallahassee, even if they are powerless to make the change, possibly they could use our market as an example of how NOT to do local news.

Finaly got my 42" LCD HDTV.... I had no idea that our local TV stations were broadcasted on HD over the air.. Mike McCal (sp?) neck ties never looked sooo vivid....lol!!! POONTHER maybe they think that the fake birds look cool in HDTV.... sadly even HDTV cant make those decorations look good :-(

Finaly got my 42" LCD HDTV.... I had no idea that our local TV stations were broadcasted on HD over the air.. Mike McCal (sp?) neck ties never looked sooo vivid....lol!!! POONTHER maybe they think that the fake birds look cool in HDTV.... sadly even HDTV cant make those decorations look good :-(

First off, I hate you man in an envious way. How did Santa make it by your place so early?????? :huh:

Second, those aren't Xmas decorations buddy, that's the Christmas Serpent. Do you think maybe Beau Bishop's (the sports anchor) grandmother made it for them and they HAD to put it up? Or maybe Julie M. and her pals took a "thousand and one things to do w/a glue gun" class this summer at the rec. center and they felt obligated to put it on the news desk like that all sprawled out ready to strike in holiday cheer? I am definitely betting some type of strong-arming force or guilt was used to stretch it over the news desk like that. Surely it was VOLUNTARY???

Ok, Poonther, you mentioned Beau Bishop (the sports guy) so I feel it ok to discuss him. I've had this conversation with a few people, many of whom agree with me in thinking that Beau Bishop comes across as a pompous jerk.

Does anyone here see this? Or am I looking at things too hard?

Ok, Poonther, you mentioned Beau Bishop (the sports guy) so I feel it ok to discuss him. I've had this conversation with a few people, many of whom agree with me in thinking that Beau Bishop comes across as a pompous jerk.

Does anyone here see this? Or am I looking at things too hard?

The thing about television is that if you watch it, you just encourage them to do more of it, which is not adding to the overall intelligence of our species. My suggestion is instead of listening to some bozo talk about sports, go out and play badmitten or horseshoes or texas hold-em or something physical. They don't call it the "idiot box" for nothing. No. Seriously, get a big Coke and some buttery pop corn. The Simpsons are about to come on.

Hey cut us a break, at least we are watching and discussing the news. There are a lot worse things to rot your brain with on the "idiot box" than the news.

Ah Beau B. the sporty jock boy. I notice what you guys notice too. But in his defense I must say at least he has personality (good or bad) and does some banter w/the anchors while at the news desk. Much more entertaining to me than a boring stiff talking head...like blonde anchor gal over at WTXL...Lauren I think???

Like it or not, news folks these days strive to be (at least in large markets) personalities and not just talking heads. I believe that while Beau B. might be that way slightly in real life, what you are seeing on the tube is a "ramped up larger than life" version of his shtick.

A perfect example of these larger than life personalities on the local news is WSVN Channel Seven Fox for South FL. If you've ever watched that station, you know what I'm talkin' about. They've produced such personalities as Shepard Smith over at Fox News and the always cocky Rick Sanchez who I think is at MSNBC or CNN??

I've counted 3 birds total on the Christmas Serpent over at WCTV. Do you see more?

Archived