TallyVision

Florida

The Democrat's biz section ONLINE is awful just plain awful. It's not updated daily and the last "biz bites" column they had was 2 or 3 weeks ago when they announced the stale news that Romano's Mac. Grill was coming. I sure miss Juana, at least she was consistent in her updates.

I guess what I'm asking is that those that read the "hard copy" of the paper, is the biz section more detailed than online? To grow our biz community we need a good biz section from the local paper much more than we need those silly NE/SE chronicles where they talk about Aunt Bea's tea and bridge party and little Opie's graduation from some tiny Mormon-Jesuit-Satanist private college up in North Dakota.

Hey TJ are you seeing or getting the business paper "Business Matters" yet? I believe now you can pick it up at several places around town every 2 weeks.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL! Our concerns are right in line with each other's Poonther. I've noticed exactly as you have that there has been very little in the form of business reporting in the paper since "she" left. Not even a true attempt in my opinion.

I don't get that Business Matters piece yet. I'll start looking around for it. I was trusting if there was something juicy in it, you'd tell me about it. :D

Maybe Mike McCall can fill us in on what's going on with WCTV-D2.

It was reported last night that it was Ann Nucatola's last day at WCTV & that she was going to be an English teacher over at Godby High School. Then shortly later I saw a commercial with her, Rob & their new baby. The commercial was promoting a new show on WCTV-D2 that would feature the 3 of them.

So what's up Mike McCall? Are they going to do their own local version of some kind of a reality show of their daily life?

Anything else new you can report for either station? I've noticed the newscast audio is much better now.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how much I am at liberty to say just yet, but the new show will be "newsy" - not reality tv of the Nucatola's.

We're also adding some internet reports in the very near future.

By the way - speaking of reality - I had a bug fly right into my eye during my Fox49 weathercast this week.

That was . . . "interesting". I tried to blink it away, but it only got worse until I was rubbing a red, teary eye with one (and joking about it), while trying to continue with a weathercast using the other hand.

Quality entertainment. :blink:

Mike

--

I don't know how much I am at liberty to say just yet, but the new show will be "newsy" - not reality tv of the Nucatola's.

By the way - speaking of reality - I had a bug fly right into my eye during my Fox49 weathercast this week.

That was . . . "interesting". I tried to blink it away, but it only got worse until I was rubbing a red, teary eye with one (and joking about it), while trying to continue with a weathercast using the other hand.

Mike

--

Funny stuff! :) Have you ever had anything happen on air that kept you from finishing the broadcast?

Mike

--

No offense to old media but I saw a (as yet unpublished) pilot of a new features video podcast about Tallahassee. Ladies and gentlemen, clean up your iPods. Very funny stuff is coming and from what they tell me, very soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe WCTV was under the impression (and so was I but that doesn't really count) that Comcast would put their new network where UPN is now..channel 24 which runs on basic cable. What Comcast has done is put their new network way down on the digital only channels at like number 214 or something. This means far fewer viewers will get this channel. Digital only subscribers will get it. While the new channel The CW gets a top spot at channel 6 where the WB use to be. I think it's unfair too and was surprised at this move. Of course Comcast has never been that great, look how long it took us to get Fox Sports South (or whatever, I rarely watch sports, but w/FSU basketball on it, they should not have taken so long.) I wish we could get a competing cable company here in town. It sure would lower our costs and give us more options.

Didn't they pave the way for the phone companies to do something like that?

yes.

Im not a big fan of Comcast.

Your folks live in WP or Orange County right GG? Just curious, do they have a choice in cable suppliers, not counting satellite of course? If so, do you find their cable cheaper than here w/the Comcast monopoly?

My brother in Alabama does have two competing cable companies in his city and his rates are about 1/3 what ours are in Tally for the same type of cable. I pay almost $100 for DVR/Digital/HBO package/month which an absurd amount IMO even though I love it. My bro for the same exact package pays around $65/month. In a year that's $1200 out of my pocket and only $780 out of his. I could do a lot w/that extra $420 a year.

Your folks live in WP or Orange County right GG? Just curious, do they have a choice in cable suppliers, not counting satellite of course? If so, do you find their cable cheaper than here w/the Comcast monopoly?

My brother in Alabama does have two competing cable companies in his city and his rates are about 1/3 what ours are in Tally for the same type of cable. I pay almost $100 for DVR/Digital/HBO package/month which an absurd amount IMO even though I love it. My bro for the same exact package pays around $65/month. In a year that's $1200 out of my pocket and only $780 out of his. I could do a lot w/that extra $420 a year.

Yes, you are correct. They have the choice of Comcast and Brighthouse, and they have Brighthouse. Cheaper than Comcast, better packages, MUCH better customer service, IMO.

Yes, you are correct. They have the choice of Comcast and Brighthouse, and they have Brighthouse. Cheaper than Comcast, better packages, MUCH better customer service, IMO.

Thanks for that reply. Is Brighthouse the old Time/Warner w/a new name or some other company that re-branded itself?

Comcast in Tally has customer service? :P

Thanks for that reply. Is Brighthouse the old Time/Warner w/a new name or some other company that re-branded itself?

Comcast in Tally has customer service? :P

I should know the answer to that but I honestly dont.

They only have customer service when you want to upgrade services or have something new and expensive installed :silly:

Hey Mike!

Speaking as a weather geek, I must say I really enjoy your forecasts given by the young Michael K. I caught him this past weekend and he's greatly improved since he first started. The guy has got great potential IMHO. He's a student right? How much longer will he be around? Anyway good find there man. I hope to see more of him in the future.

Oh yeah, and the audio is back to normal. Glad I can watch you guys again.

Hey Mike!

Speaking as a weather geek, I must say I really enjoy your forecasts given by the young Michael K. I caught him this past weekend and he's greatly improved since he first started. The guy has got great potential IMHO. He's a student right? How much longer will he be around? Anyway good find there man. I hope to see more of him in the future.

Oh yeah, and the audio is back to normal. Glad I can watch you guys again.

I'm not trying to be funny with this, I'm truly trying to get an idea of who you're talking about. Is this the Metro Sexual dude with dark hair? Looks like he's about Nucatola's size? If so, he has improved.

Essentially WCTV2 had a deal with Comcast for them to carry us through 2008, however they had an out to move us should the UPN affiliation go away. It's my interpretation that they have opted to move us to digital to help push Tallahassee area subscribers to Digital Cable.

As you can tell from watching either WCTV or WCTV2, we are not happy with the way Comcast is treating us (and our viewers).

CM

Essentially WCTV2 had a deal with Comcast for them to carry us through 2008, however they had an out to move us should the UPN affiliation go away. It's my interpretation that they have opted to move us to digital to help push Tallahassee area subscribers to Digital Cable.

As you can tell from watching either WCTV or WCTV2, we are not happy with the way Comcast is treating us (and our viewers).

CM

I miss the old (pre Gray) channel 6. Back when the Phipps owned the station, it really was a local institution.

CM

Thanks for that clarification. If I remember correctly, I got a mailer from Comcast and inside on the fine print they touted one of the "benefits" or "excuses" of having WCTV2 on digital was they'd put the programs On Demand.

I must say I was surprised by this move. Again too bad we don't have a competitor for Comcast.

If I remember correctly, I got a mailer from Comcast and inside on the fine print they touted one of the "benefits" or "excuses" of having WCTV2 on digital was they'd put the programs On Demand.

I'd love to make our 7pm News available On Demand but unless they make a move to put us somewhere better than Channel 249, it's highly unlikely there will ever be any cooperative ventures between Comcast and WCTV.

Archived