TallyVision

Florida

Hey Mike Mc., I tuned into your news last night (7.5) and the audio seemed much better. Has the new equipment been installed?? I'll try tuning in again today.

Hey: Who in Tally is getting the new CW network, a merger of WB and UPN? Will it be shown on WB's cable channel 6 or UPN's cable channel 24?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is this new channel you speak of? I haven't heard of it prior to this mention.

UPN and WB are merging into one network which will be called CW. I don't watch either network much at all, but I am curious as to which channel this new network in Tally will be on.

The CW Network

If you go to the link for stations and click on FL, we are one of only two markets in the state that do not show who will be the affiliate.

I'm a big watcher of UPN, I hate to hear this his happening.

According to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WFXU the new CW affiliate will be a station that will be owned by the same people that own Channel 49 on a digital signal (what channel will that be on the cable is anyone's guess) with the former UPN station becoming a My Network http://mynetworktv.com(Fox owned network showing english language soap novellas) affiliate. This is why the UPN station changed its logos in the last week or so.

According to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WFXU the new CW affiliate will be a station that will be owned by the same people that own Channel 49 on a digital signal (what channel will that be on the cable is anyone's guess) with the former UPN station becoming a My Network http://mynetworktv.com(Fox owned network showing english language soap novellas) affiliate. This is why the UPN station changed its logos in the last week or so.

Good info. there psycuda, thanks!

Based on what you've said above, I'd think that the CW would broadcast on Comcast channel 6 (where the old WB was and a good spot to be) while the new My Network TV will be on UPN's old channel 24. Of course that's just my guess only.

Good info. there psycuda, thanks!

Based on what you've said above, I'd think that the CW would broadcast on Comcast channel 6 (where the old WB was and a good spot to be) while the new My Network TV will be on UPN's old channel 24. Of course that's just my guess only.

You're right about the second part, since I saw an ad today for one of those shows on MyNetwork.

I think the Democrat lurks around on our forum & gets info for stories to print...Ha! :lol: Usually what they print does seem stale because we've been discussing the topic for weeks or more by the time they publish something. Just like this past Sunday's article on downtown hotels...we've been all over that topic for months!

You've got a point Glenn. We seem to go in great detail with a discussion and then the democrat picks up their pens and writes an article. I wish the news paper would go head and just link to the UrbanPlanet forums. It would do wonders for our traffic here and give them better insight on what Tallahassee's citizens are really thinking.

OK...I know this isn't about "Tallyvision" but it is about media, which is what this thread used to be called, so I'm putting it here...don't shoot me :)

Remember when the "Democrat" introduced the "Northeast Chronicle" a couple of months ago? Well now they're introducing a new "Southeast Chronicle" scheduled to debut in August. It will cover community happenings in the SE part of Leon County...Do you reckon the St Joe Co. helped influence this decision? :huh: There will be 4 different articles about St Joe developments from August -November. Also, has anyone else noticed all the press St Joe has been getting in the regular "Democrat" publication recently?

Well I figured since we spent so much time talking about the TV News it would be ok to call the thread that. But the NewsPaper talk is perfect for this thread too!!! :D

And yes I have seen all of the St. Joe coverage. They took out a ton of ads in this past Sunday's Real Estate section.

With the continued growth of Southwood, SOuthside coming up, and the state about to submit plans for a huge expansion of the office complex out at Capital Circle, there's a lot going on between Apalachee Parkway and Woodville.

Woah! Where'd you get the idea the State is about to do a huge expansion at Southwood?

The State gave up its right to the St. Joe land a couple years ago, and under the Bush administration, state government is not expanding...

Woah! Where'd you get the idea the State is about to do a huge expansion at Southwood?

The State gave up its right to the St. Joe land a couple years ago, and under the Bush administration, state government is not expanding...

The state is looking to prevent property that it has the option to develop in the CCOC area from reverting back to St. Joe by looking to develop a nearby property. Kind of confusing, but expansion is likely in the area, without actually expanding state government in the process (read: consolidation).

They did let one property option revert back to St. Joe in exchange for an option on another property a few years ago. These new properties have "revert" clauses in them that the state does not want to St. Joe to exercise. To prevent this, they have to develop the property. '

I think the idea is that if the state doesn't use it, St. Joe does want to use it because general development in the area will benefit their interests.

I am totally opposed to the state doing any more expanding on the Capital Circle Complex when we've got so much downtown that needs to be done. Nearly the entire South Side of the downtown needs a face lift, and the state government could assist with that seeing as how most of the distressed property is theirs. On top of that, it is much easier from my perspective to travel into the central core of the city than into the extreme south of the city to get to work. I have nothing against what is already out there, but we don't need to add to it, probably at the expense of the downtown.

I am totally opposed to the state doing any more expanding on the Capital Circle Complex when we've got so much downtown that needs to be done. Nearly the entire South Side of the downtown needs a face lift, and the state government could assist with that seeing as how most of the distressed property is theirs. On top of that, it is much easier from my perspective to travel into the central core of the city than into the extreme south of the city to get to work. I have nothing against what is already out there, but we don't need to add to it, probably at the expense of the downtown.

TJ - do you not see this as an opportunity to reduce our downtown's dependence on state government, improve the chances of an 18 hour DT, and give private developers the space/facilities to build/redevelop? There will always be a great deal of government downtown.

Also, it is likely that the state owned buildings downtown that have not already been disposed of will remain, and that other leased space (not downtown) may be consolidated at CCOC.

Interesting thread but I didn't note anyone talking about some of the up-and-comming new media efforts in the area. For a long, long, long time, this city has been ripe for an alternative news weekly similar to Folio? in Jax. This is a mostly features paper that includes restaurant reviews, venue announcements, community events, etc. I know that the Gannett paper has a friday throwaway, but it isn't the same thing. The Apalachee Tortoise is part of the way there, but lacks in-depth reporting on local issues and instead does too many "Bush is evil" features. If they could concentrate on the secret life of Ed Depuy, or confessions of Tony Grippa's hair dresser, they would have a real newsweekly.

I'm also a fan of the local features podcast and wish that they would get another edition out soon. I miss them. Go tallycast!.

If they could concentrate on the secret life of Ed Depuy, or confessions of Tony Grippa's hair dresser, they would have a real newsweekly.

I'm also a fan of the local features podcast and wish that they would get another edition out soon. I miss them. Go tallycast!.

Way too funny, but shouldn't that be confessions of Ed Depuy's hairdresser? :D

Where can I find this Tallycast you speak of?

Way too funny, but shouldn't that be confessions of Ed Depuy's hairdresser? :D

Where can I find this Tallycast you speak of?

Hee hee...no, Depuy reminds me of Dr. Evil. Grippa has the weird hair.

http://www.tallycast.com

it dosen't seem to have been updated for a long time so perhaps it's not being produced anymore.

Interesting thread but I didn't note anyone talking about some of the up-and-comming new media efforts in the area. For a long, long, long time, this city has been ripe for an alternative news weekly similar to Folio? in Jax. This is a mostly features paper that includes restaurant reviews, venue announcements, community events, etc. I know that the Gannett paper has a friday throwaway, but it isn't the same thing. The Apalachee Tortoise is part of the way there, but lacks in-depth reporting on local issues and instead does too many "Bush is evil" features. If they could concentrate on the secret life of Ed Depuy, or confessions of Tony Grippa's hair dresser, they would have a real newsweekly.

We are working on a project that relates to "news alternatives" that you mention ghost...

Think Digg for Tallahassee...not original news reporting per se (though that is an option), but news aggregation from many sources...

I can share more details closer to the launch of the site.

We are working on a project that relates to "news alternatives" that you mention ghost...

Think Digg for Tallahassee...not original news reporting per se (though that is an option), but news aggregation from many sources...

I could definitly deal with a Creative Loafing or an Orlando Weekly type paper around here. With the students and the arts scene, you'd think it would be a slam dunk. Even a place like Ithaca NY, a college town of 30,000, can support one of these type of papers, and also be the publisher of smaller papers for every podunk town surrounding it (Imagine the Havana Times...lol).

Newsvine (http://www.newsvine.com) has a reasonably active Tallahassee/Thomasville section for citizen journalism on the web. Craigslist has a Tallahassee edition for the classifieds. Flickr has tons of Tallahassee photos. I'm not sure what's left in the virtual world that would catch anyones attention, but I hope I'm wrong.

I'm a lot more interested in a weekly print publication.

I saw the article in the paper about the former "The Beat" employees and listeners protesting out in front of Clear Channel's offices. Speaking as someone who worked for several years in the radio industry before switching careers and who still keeps an interest in radio, what these people fail to realize is the simple fact that radio has become nothing more than an advertising platform (sad but true), and there is a limited pool of advertisers willing to advertise at top dollar on a radio station of the format that Clear Channel had, much less multiple stations with that format (The Beat & Blazin 102.3 )in a market the size of Tallahassee. The reason that those there were let go is because they represented the old format too strongly, and there was nowhere else in the company locally to put the on-air staff (I'm a bit perplexed about the sales staff, since you still need account reps, no matter what format you have). Having worked at a station that underwent a format change (although not to the extent of this one), you get frustrated, but then move on, realizing somewhat harshly that is a business. What they changed the format to is even more illogical, though, unless the goal was to drive out 106.1's new format, since it is basically the same thing, with better right wing hosts in place and there was already a sports radio station in the market. If they were to make the switch, an actual alternative radio station closer to 100.5 in Gainesville might have worked, A dance pop station, an adult alternative station (somewhere between 89.7 and 98.9) or possibly making the switch and turning the other station into an Air America affiliate, since there is still not enough people in Tallahassee to justify all spanish station.

Archived