TallyVision

Florida

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Mr. McCall

Was that a Gator tie you had on today (Live @5, 9/1)?????

LOL. You might want to calibrate the colors on the ol' tv there GG. My tie DID have some blue in it, but the design on it is RED cherries.

For what it's worth - as much I enjoy seeing UF sports teams losing, it's all in fun - being an FSU alum. Heck, my wife even bought my sons some orange UF hats to wear at the beach on our vacation (she likes the color orange, and found them on sale for 3 bucks - true story). We even took lots of pictures of them wearing the hats. If any or all of them can end up getting a scholarship - whether it be to FSU, UF, or anywhere else - I am an instant fan of that school!.

Until then though - no orange and blue ties for me (unless I lose some kind of bet).

:)

Mike

--

2 more questions for Mr McCall

1.) Is the FOX 49 broadcast done in the WCTV studios as well?

2.) Why isnt that station up to par with A.) The rest of the stations at least in Tallahassee and B.) The rest of the FOX stations nationwidwe?. or at least to some degree?

Fire Jeff Bowden (cough cough)

2 more questions for Mr McCall

1.) Is the FOX 49 broadcast done in the WCTV studios as well?

2.) Why isnt that station up to par with A.) The rest of the stations at least in Tallahassee and B.) The rest of the FOX stations nationwidwe?. or at least to some degree?

Fire Jeff Bowden (cough cough)

1.) I was at an Open House and got the tour of the studios. Yes, FOX 49 is done in the same building, but in "Studio B" a smaller back room studio and not in the big room with all the desks.

2.) (Speculation) Probably because our FOX news is a stepchild to WCTV, whereas the other FOX stations you refer to probably have their own dedicated staff.

1.) I was at an Open House and got the tour of the studios. Yes, FOX 49 is done in the same building, but in "Studio B" a smaller back room studio and not in the big room with all the desks.

2.) (Speculation) Probably because our FOX news is a stepchild to WCTV, whereas the other FOX stations you refer to probably have their own dedicated staff.

Yea, its really a shame that its in a back room, because it sure looks like it. A decent 10:00 Newscast would be great in Tallahassee. That way I dont have to stay up until 11 to see WCTV.

Just speaking to those who want the news early enough to go to bed at a decent hour. :) To me, the 11 O'clock presentation isn't THAT much greater than the 10. Sure the set of the FOX report is smaller, but I'm not the one who has to sit behind the desk.

I think the 11:00 is a lot better. I typically TiVo it and watch it the following morning. By presentation I mean the quality of set, audio/video, graphics, etc.

Coverage You Can Count On?

http://blogs.tampabay.com/buzz/2006/09/cov...a.html#comments

Here's what the rest of the state thinks about our media.

Ha ha, I love to read grumpy bloggers. :) Seems a lot of those folks were from Tally grumping about the news up here. I do agree and think we could do a better job for sure.

That said you got to take it in perseptive too: Orlando is the nation's 19th largest TV market and Tampa Bay is the 12th largest market. Tally is ranked 108th (up one spot this year) so things are going to be different. Once you are in the top 50, salaries and production are drastically different. While I agree we need to hold local news accountable to do a better job, we also need to realize that currently we will never reach the ranks of Orlando, Tampa or South FL local TV.

A better comparison would be to compare us to local news in markets that are in our range, ten spots above and ten below. Here they are:

Johnstown, PA

El Paso, TX

Charleston, SC

Evansville, IN

Ft. Smith, AR

Youngstown, OH

Lincoln, NE

Florence, SC

Ft. Wayne, IN

Greenville, NC

Tallahassee, FL

Springfield, MA

Reno, NV

Tyler, TX

Lansing, MI

Traverse City, MI

Augusta, GA

Sioux Falls, SD

Peoria, IL

Montgomery, AL

Boise, ID

I can say that I see Montgomery local news several times a year and it does seem a little better quality than us. The same goes for Charleston, SC and Reno, NV the few times I've seen them.

Finally it's funny to see Orl and Tpa people talk about the superior quality of their news b/c when I'm back in South FL folks down there make fun of how slow and boring those two TV market news are. But I guess like one blogger said, if you don't have folks killing each other every 30 minutes like in Miami, there isn't much to talk about. :)

Our local affiliates can do better for sure. WTXL should soon be moving into their new studios and hiring some new people, I'm hoping that will help w/their broadcast.

• 2 weeks later...

FOX TV just installed a new High-Def Antenna for Tallahassee. I understand that you can receives these High-Def signals with a new High-Def Antenna ($65 Best Buy). Does anyone have one of these and how well do they work. I was considering purchasing one but thought I would get some more info first on this seemingly new Technology.

FOX TV just installed a new High-Def Antenna for Tallahassee. I understand that you can receives these High-Def signals with a new High-Def Antenna ($65 Best Buy). Does anyone have one of these and how well do they work. I was considering purchasing one but thought I would get some more info first on this seemingly new Technology.

I had the HiDef antenna for a little while, before I finally gave into Comcast Digital. The antenna is good, but obviously the box is better. Let me recommend you checking Circuit City though, I found the same antenna for about 10$ cheaper. Overall, box is better and more constant.

HOwever, Im not picking up HD from FOX 49 yet. Maybe Comcast just hasnt reconfigured.

^ Thanks for the advice!! I am picking up a 37" or 42" LCD TV during the holidays so I am doing some research on what the best options are.

I cant wait!!!!!!

I have a 42" plasma that is in my living room, and a 32" LCD that I got for my bedroom. I went w/ Westinghouse on the 32". It has a great picture, sound is avg. for an LCD, and it was a lot cheaper than its counterparts. On my 42", I got the Sharp Aquos. No complaints at all from it. Perfect picture, especially in HD.

I have a 42" plasma that is in my living room, and a 32" LCD that I got for my bedroom. I went w/ Westinghouse on the 32". It has a great picture, sound is avg. for an LCD, and it was a lot cheaper than its counterparts. On my 42", I got the Sharp Aquos. No complaints at all from it. Perfect picture, especially in HD.

I have an iPod with a HUD. I laugh at your 42 inches.

Archived