TallyVision

Florida

Good to see you take all in stride Mike. If you notice, we have nothing but good things to say about you. :D

The best present you guys gave me was that you fixed your audio problems from this summer.

I personally like it all BUT the Christmas Serpent. I'll ask Santa (since I've been so good) not to bring it back next year.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy cow.

Tough crowd.

By the way- Set decorations: Esposito's

Beau: Truly nice person. Not arrogant. Apparently misunderstood.

Ho Ho Ho and season's greetings to all the happy folks in here!

Mike

--

Aren't we terrible! But we love you Mike (except that republican part) but all is well because if you hadn't told me, I wouldn't have known!

What happened on the news tonight when Beau's mike wasn't working. First there came a chatter from behind the camera, seemingly Frank Raniky, then next thing I know, Frank Raniky is half undressed and Beau has his microphone in his mouth. Crazy stuff this evening!!! :silly:

Hey Hey Hey, Santa can't go up the Chimney this way!!

Yeah, I'm not the stereotypical Republican, although conservatives get a bad rap because of the far right wingers, just like liberals are always lumped in with the far left nutjobs. For that reason, I keep my politics pretty much to myself, so I don't take the chance of alienating half my viewers.

The 11pm show has "loosened up" lately, kind of like the Fox10pm show, with more "freeform chat". It's working better and better these days with John, Jen and Beau.

We had a bad wire on Beau's mic on the 6pm show, so he and Frank shared Frank's mic for the end of the sportscast. That was entertaining.

Mike

--

Yeah, I'm not the stereotypical Republican, although conservatives get a bad rap because of the far right wingers, just like liberals are always lumped in with the far left nutjobs. For that reason, I keep my politics pretty much to myself, so I don't take the chance of alienating half my viewers.

The 11pm show has "loosened up" lately, kind of like the Fox10pm show, with more "freeform chat". It's working better and better these days with John, Jen and Beau.

We had a bad wire on Beau's mic on the 6pm show, so he and Frank shared Frank's mic for the end of the sportscast. That was entertaining.

Mike

--

Speaking of John and Jen, do they get a long? Sometimes it seems that John sneaks little snide remarks to her during the broadcasts. Is it "friendly?"

11pm is usually the time I watch WCTV and I started noticing this "freeform chat" change over a month ago. This viewer really likes this change. It sort of personalizes you guys to the viewer and makes you more of a "real person" on camera than just talking a head. John H. is a good example of a guy that at first appeared to me on camera to be very stiff and rigid, but after the past month, nothing could be further from the truth. He's a real crack up and a funny guy. I think the 11pm news team is the best combination that WCTV has had since I moved up here. Hopefully others out there like it too and you guys are getting positive keep back. Keep up the good work.

Question: Was this "loosening up" at 11pm a deliberate move or did it just occur naturally? Did you guys get a new news director or someone in a high position that has permitted more freedom on cam?

While I like the people on the news, I'm not sure I like them talking to each other the way they SOMETIMES do. This is especially a problem on ABC 27 where it seems they don't have a clue what to say to each other at times. And I've grown so used to the stiff posture of the cast on WCTV over the years that anything outside of the regular seems very strange. Just me I guess.

Has anyone else's Comcast DVR shifted its picture to the left with a blue line on the right? Also, in the guide view the preview box (top right) is not resized to fit in the window any more. Has Comcast pushed out some buggy software, or do I need to swap my box for a new one?

Has anyone else's Comcast DVR shifted its picture to the left with a blue line on the right? Also, in the guide view the preview box (top right) is not resized to fit in the window any more. Has Comcast pushed out some buggy software, or do I need to swap my box for a new one?

I hate Comcast. :angry:

Im going to turn in their DVR and get the TiVo HD Box. Everytime I turn my TV on, the screen is either green or snowy. I have to shut the power off on the box everytime I turn the TV on, which may cancel whatever Im recording. ITs not the TV, I have tried it on different outlets and boxes. Please come to Tallahassee Brighthouse!!

So, to answer your question, my box has not done those specfic things, but has done irregular things!

T-man, my guide on my beloved DVR seems to be working fine. If it doesn't correct itself soon, I'd call them or go get a new DVR.

TJ, I think Time/Warner (that's Brighthouse now?) isn't anywhere in Leon anymore. I think Comcast did a swap a few years back up in Killearn Lake's w/ T/W in another city for the rights to that area. I think that's what I remember.

GG, my beloved DVR has fudged up several times before. Sometimes I find a way to correct it is to unplug our DVR completely from the power source. Then plug it back in and as you know it will take some time to reprogram itself. The guide won't update for quite awhile. Anyway, sometimes that helps correct problems w/mine. It seems like the card in the box gets all messed up and this helps correct it. Not sure if that will correct your problems but it may.

Not sure which I dislike most GG, Comcast or your new avatar. :D Your avatar seems to burn my eyes when I look a it.

I'm a friend of Sarah Grady & former neighbor of her husband Tank (before they married) & just learned that she's no longer at WCTV. I now live in Missouri & sometimes get nostalgic for Tallahassee. Anyone know where she moved onto? And what's become of Channel 27's website & studios? Are they really broadcasting out of WFSU?

Sarah Grady left WCTV a couple of weeks ago to be able to spend more time at home with her baby. She announced on her final newscast that she will also be working in the television ministries of her church here in Tallahassee which is Christian Heritage. They bought the old Waccamaw store & converted it into a huge church. Actually, I think they bought the whole shopping center. A friend of mine goes there, I'll have to ask him about that.

Mike

--

I also prefer the "loosened up" format on the 10 and 11 PM newscasts lately. I think that John Harrington, Beau Bishop & Mike McCall are so funny at times. Jen is sweet but I think at times she doesn't get the joke or something. In the mornings I absolutely love Rob Nucatola. Wish I could buy a bottle of his enthusiasm that early in the morning.

Also, I've noticed recently that Shonda Knight has switched from WTXL to WCTV. When did that happen? :huh:

Sarah Grady left WCTV a couple of weeks ago to be able to spend more time at home with her baby. She announced on her final newscast that she will also be working in the television ministries of her church here in Tallahassee which is Christian Heritage. They bought the old Waccamaw store & converted it into a huge church. Actually, I think they bought the whole shopping center. A friend of mine goes there, I'll have to ask him about that.

They did buy the whole complex.

I also prefer the "loosened up" format on the 10 and 11 PM newscasts lately. I think that John Harrington, Beau Bishop & Mike McCall are so funny at times. Jen is sweet but I think at times she doesn't get the joke or something. In the mornings I absolutely love Rob Nucatola. Wish I could buy a bottle of his enthusiasm that early in the morning.

Also, I've noticed recently that Shonda Knight has switched from WTXL to WCTV. When did that happen? :huh:

I was also wondering about the Shonda Knight move myself. She seemed like some of the very little good talent WTXL had left over. I tell you, they are just scraping the bottom of the barrel now. They have virtually no experience outside of Nancy Dingdong.

I don't think they are funny at all. (No offense Mike and others who read). But the humor isn't universal and it does go over our heads at times. The best laughs I have while watching the news are those I get when they make mistakes, not things they do on purpose.

It is my opinion that they aren't there to entertain, but to inform. They've yet to get the informing part mastered, with the right mix of format, style, and detail. Until that happens, I think they need to leave the loosening alone.

Just one loyal viewer's opinion.

I don't think they are funny at all. (No offense Mike and others who read). But the humor isn't universal and it does go over our heads at times. The best laughs I have while watching the news are those I get when they make mistakes, not things they do on purpose.

It is my opinion that they aren't there to entertain, but to inform. They've yet to get the informing part mastered, with the right mix of format, style, and detail. Until that happens, I think they need to leave the loosening alone.

Just one loyal viewer's opinion.

I think theyre trying to make the personalities seem more human rather than a robot reporter. All news anchors will be a little cheesy (see Anchorman) but theyre trying to make them "fit" in your living room when you watch them.

I understand and agree that some skills could stand to be polished, but all in all I think people want someone they feel like they know.

Sure they do. But that's where longevity comes in. Before all of this "humoring" began I felt like I knew who the long timers like Julie M., Mike M. Frank R., Rob N., Gary Bartlett (when he was there), Tom Siler, Mike Rucker were. They don't need to tell jokes, but perhaps they can work on the segways and commercial transitions. I don't need the sports guy to say "Find out if FSU could get the job done against UCLA tonight at 11" if I've already seen the game. I want to hear "Post-game coverage of the FSU victory over UCLA after the break". Or "Are we in store for some rain, find out after the break" when there's a huge tornado storm logo at the bottom of the screen. Stuff like this goes to insult our intelligence. It may just be me, but I think Tallahassee is too smart, and too connected of a community to have news presented to us in the way that it is. We need details, not overviews.

Just a thought I had, although I have nothing to back it up, but I wonder just how bad WTXL has to get before ABC steps in and says "We're severing ties and awarding your franchise to someone else."

Hopefully it won't go that far. I think the former reporters like Patricia Scott, Tom Siler, Steve Ring, Tammy Robiconti, Shonda Knight, Tom Block and the rest should come back for one newscast, just to show these rookies how it's done. That would rock.

Archived