TallyVision

Florida

Just a thought I had, although I have nothing to back it up, but I wonder just how bad WTXL has to get before ABC steps in and says "We're severing ties and awarding your franchise to someone else."

Don't see that happening anytime soon. NBC and TWC recently signed a 10-year affiliation agreement ... ABC and TXL are married until 2012, if I'm not mistaken, and I don't see how CBS would let a "powerhouse" like CTV loose.

Regarding TXL, the new owners are apparently taking a course of their own and trying to turn-around the station. It's a shame they have let go of some good talent, but I believe they are doing their darndest to erase the influences of the past and go for a fresh look and a new mission. Once they get into their Midway building, things should go smoother and maybe have a more polished look. Hopefully they will mold their young talent into a team that can effectively compete against CTV and keep their programming on the air without major screw-ups.

At least those who left TXL mostly went on to bigger and better things -- Ring back in his native West Virginia, Robiconti was in Tampa at BayNews 9, Scott still with his AM radio show, Basista in Ohio, Knight at CTV, Nurse in Texas, Remillard in Tampa, among others. Perhaps some now at TXL will follow in their footsteps.

(BTW, longtime reader and firsttime poster here)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't see that happening anytime soon. NBC and TWC recently signed a 10-year affiliation agreement ... ABC and TXL are married until 2012, if I'm not mistaken, and I don't see how CBS would let a "powerhouse" like CTV loose.

Regarding TXL, the new owners are apparently taking a course of their own and trying to turn-around the station. It's a shame they have let go of some good talent, but I believe they are doing their darndest to erase the influences of the past and go for a fresh look and a new mission. Once they get into their Midway building, things should go smoother and maybe have a more polished look. Hopefully they will mold their young talent into a team that can effectively compete against CTV and keep their programming on the air without major screw-ups.

At least those who left TXL mostly went on to bigger and better things -- Ring back in his native West Virginia, Robiconti was in Tampa at BayNews 9, Scott still with his AM radio show, Basista in Ohio, Knight at CTV, Nurse in Texas, Remillard in Tampa, among others. Perhaps some now at TXL will follow in their footsteps.

Welcome to Urban Planet-Tallahassee Land-o-Sugar!!! Hope you will become a regular forum poster with us. :)

Based on your knowledge & information shared above I assume you either have, or currently do, work in the television biz. Thanks for giving us all the updates.

I never had any concerns at all about CBS & WCTV ever parting ways, no matter how horrible that holiday serpent looks running along the front of their news desk. They should have just done a grouping of poinsettias like their sister station, WJHG, over in Panama City did for their set.

Glad WTWC just renewed for another 10 years but it still bothers me about them not providing us with a 3rd option for local TV news.

And it's a good thing WTXL has an agreement with ABC through 2012 because there is only one way for them to go & that's up because they're in the pits right now. I do hope things get better for them real soon. Is the new studio in Midway still going to happen & if so when? Their audio & video continue to be horrible...at least through my Comcast connection anyway. And their website isn't even up & running!

Again, WELCOME! :)

:yahoo: Welcome to UrbanPlanet - Tallahassee Land-O-Sugar :yahoo:

Cool name! Thanks for the info. Like Glenn, I hope you'll become a regular poster. Will you offer us any clue as to what your background is?

• 2 weeks later...

WTXL states that they will move into their new digs out in Midway come April. I think once they move, we'll see great improvement....hey it can't get any worse. They sure have got a lot of fresh faces over there at WTXL. I for one don't miss Steve Ring, way too country for my taste. He sounded like he was doing the news for Hee-Haw. Tammy Robiconti: Was that a football helmet, a wig or her natural hair? Basista: always look like she step in dog poo and had that "I just smelled it look" on her face. Now C. Nurse I like. Any guy that can do weather in drag is a good man. I also liked Preston Scott on sports.

I noticed that the audio this weekend was once again terrible on WCTV...back to like what it use to be this summer....a lot of static. Maybe that was just a screw up on the part of the weekend crew or maybe I just got use to watching local news in America's #1 market too much this past 10 days.

WTXL states that they will move into their new digs out in Midway come April. I think once they move, we'll see great improvement....hey it can't get any worse. They sure have got a lot of fresh faces over there at WTXL. I for one don't miss Steve Ring, way too country for my taste. He sounded like he was doing the news for Hee-Haw. Tammy Robiconti: Was that a football helmet, a wig or her natural hair? Basista: always look like she step in dog poo and had that "I just smelled it look" on her face. Now C. Nurse I like. Any guy that can do weather in drag is a good man. I also liked Preston Scott on sports.

I noticed that the audio this weekend was once again terrible on WCTV...back to like what it use to be this summer....a lot of static. Maybe that was just a screw up on the part of the weekend crew or maybe I just got use to watching local news in America's #1 market too much this past 10 days.

Hey Poonther. Welcome back. Were you in NY?

LOL! What a trip. Well I'll be interested to see what WTXL has in store for Tallahassee. Seriously, watching them is like watching a High School News broadcast. It's almost like I'm watching WFSU when the college students are doing their "pretend" news show.

April can't get here fast enough!

Hey Mike McCall, what was up with the late night newscast last night??? You guys were acting kind of goofy...maybe it was just really late. Anyway, just curious. Also, will Triston Sanders be leaving/moving away now that she is engaged?

Anybody seen the blonde from WTXL? Has she also left WTXL or has she just been off? What's her name? She recently got married or started using a different last name.

Hey Mike McCall, what was up with the late night newscast last night??? You guys were acting kind of goofy...maybe it was just really late. Anyway, just curious. Also, will Triston Sanders be leaving/moving away now that she is engaged?

Anybody seen the blonde from WTXL? Has she also left WTXL or has she just been off? What's her name? She recently got married or started using a different last name.

Yeah I believe her name was Lauren Finney... not sure what her new married name is, but I noticed it a few weeks ago.

I went to Orlando this morning and I listened to WCTV all the way until I got South of Lake City... I was amazed at the range. It was still coming through clearly on 87.7 when I decided to listen to my iPod instead.

Just thought I'd say something nice about the news for a change.

I went to Orlando this morning and I listened to WCTV all the way until I got South of Lake City... I was amazed at the range. It was still coming through clearly on 87.7 when I decided to listen to my iPod instead.

Yea, all CBS affiliates are broadcast on 87.7, and I believe (but am not entirely certain) that the radio coverage is the same as their TV coverage as far as market area.

Its also one of the few ways to listen to the Gators on FM in Tallahassee and when on the road :)

I'm certain this CBS was ours because they were playing Tallahassee commercials and the morning show was on with Rob, and the crew. This is south of Lake City!! Was very excited.

Also... can't you listen to the Gators on 93.3 or something? Two options for an out-of-town team isn't bad by any measure.

The TV DMA for the Tally market stretches all the way to Suwanee County in the east. So while you were out of market in Southern Columbia County TJ, you weren't that far away from the DMA by the way a crow flies.

Which brings up this question: When in your cars in Tally, what is the best station numbers to tune your dial to in order to listen to your IPod in the car static free? This WCTV station is way strong in town and seems to bleed into my listening even if I'm a few number up from it.

Mine does fine on 88.5 which I beleive is the default. However, I have one that has a cradle and was $99. Some of my friends have the $50 versions that plug into the bottom and arent actually connected to the car or are just connected by a cord. Those I beleive are somewhat weaker. Just look for a channel with pure static to switch to.

Thanks SBC, I'll try 88.5. Yeah the guy at the Apple Store in Jersey steered me away from the type that aren't connected to the car b/c of static problems. Mine is just like yours. The real trouble w/it and finding a dead station was while I was in Jersey. Living smack in between the NYC and Philly radio station markets gives you NO dead station numbers at all. The listening quality was awful there.

87.7 is the FM frequency for all Channel 6's.

Mike

--

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, the folks at Fox49 brought us a new graphics look and we incorporated it into everything. TO be honest, I wasn't a fan of the new look at first, but it grew on me after updating all of the weather banners, backgrounds, etc.

As far as experience - it varies widely. However, our on-air production system is something called ParkerVision, which essentially eliminates cameramen and audio guys. The show is coded in a computer rundown and the cameras automatically turn as instructed by the rundown. The newscast director still has control of the camera shots for tweaking and re-setting, using a joystick and some software. He also has control over the audio levels (but he cannot correct "bad" scratchy audio - just the levels). We have some directors that have been here more than 13 years, and a couple that have been here about 2 years.

Mike

--

Holy Crap, Please Please Someone get rid of John Harrington, he is the worst news anchor I have ever listened to.

Stumbles over words constantly, Lifts his voice up in the wrong part of the sentence telling a news story, makes it sound weird..

Embarrasing...... that he is even allowed to be on our news, Sorry but he needs the boot.

Archived