TallyVision

Florida

I'm with you both on the GA news thing, and like you Poonther, I've had to come to that understanding. Although I wish there was more coverage of some of the things going on in Gadsden County other than the occasional murder/missing body story.

You're right Poonther, since Juana left there has been virtually no coverage of growth and development news in the business section and they're doing a piss poor job covering anything else.

When she was there, it wasn't great. She would give half of the story and leave you hanging, but a little bit of something, is better than a whole lot of nothing.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right Poonther, since Juana left there has been virtually no coverage of growth and development news in the business section and they're doing a piss poor job covering anything else.

When she was there, it wasn't great. She would give half of the story and leave you hanging, but a little bit of something, is better than a whole lot of nothing.

Gerald Ensley seems to have taken it over. He had a good article on the Gaines St stuff this weekend. But, they are few and far between.

This is not a knock on Ensley, but its hard to take his writing in the paper as material fact on anything going on with regard to the business community simply because anytime he releases a remark, the issue is dead or has been discussed in enough detail to not catch my attention when he writes about it.

If the News paper would partner with us here on UrbanPlanet, I'm sure between numerous Tallahassee forumers, we could keep the paper buzzin with the latest hype, and in the process increase our online membership here with the increased visability.

How ironic that just as we're discussing this topic I noticed a "Biz Buzz" column in Sunday's paper. Co-written by 2 reporters i've never heard of before....Malika Harrison & Samantha Luck. As I've stated before, the Democrat could get more business news just by hiring us here at U.P.-Tallahassee..Ha! :lol:

They also provided an e-mail address for submitting business news. [email protected]

I've also noticed that C.E. Scott (ex business reporter Rocky Scott's daughter) has been getting more column space to write about business matters.

^Thanks for that tidbit of info Glenn. I don't get the hard copy of the Democrat anymore after several years of doing so. I'm out of town too much and kept forgetting to put the paper on vacation. Thus I was a hot spot for criminals w/all the papers lying around. I'll have to research online more to see if these biz buzzes are showing up there yet. Thanks again!

What's the deal with WCTV today??? :huh:

I came home for lunch & had planned on watching the Noon newscast but got bombarded with 20+ minutes of commercials & PSA's!!! Many of them were being repeated over & over. Finally got a very brief & hurried 9 minute newscast & then they were gone! I don't usually get to catch their mid-day newscast so I don't know if this is normal for them or not. I would think this is more the exception than the rule but then again, I don't usually get to watch them during this time frame. Weird! :unsure:

What's the deal with WCTV today??? :huh:

I came home for lunch & had planned on watching the Noon newscast but got bombarded with 20+ minutes of commercials & PSA's!!! Many of them were being repeated over & over. Finally got a very brief & hurried 9 minute newscast & then they were gone! I don't usually get to catch their mid-day newscast so I don't know if this is normal for them or not. I would think this is more the exception than the rule but then again, I don't usually get to watch them during this time frame. Weird! :unsure:

A bit of an exception - yes. :) To the best of my knowledge, it's the only time something like that has happened to us. It was just a nasty failure of a critical piece of hardware at just the wrong time. As soon as the engineers got it fixed, we were up and running as normal.

Mike

--

A bit of an exception - yes. :) To the best of my knowledge, it's the only time something like that has happened to us. It was just a nasty failure of a critical piece of hardware at just the wrong time. As soon as the engineers got it fixed, we were up and running as normal.

Mike

--

I kept an eye on your forecasts from the web down here in Central Florida, nice job. What do you think about the "over-reacting" of the Weather Channel? Have a good one.

I kept an eye on your forecasts from the web down here in Central Florida, nice job. What do you think about the "over-reacting" of the Weather Channel? Have a good one.

I think all the national media overreacted.

"Let's see - it's Florida, and it's tropical weather, therefore it's gonna be DEATH AND DESTRUCTION!!!!"

Uhhhh.....no. It was a tropical storm that BRIEFLY - - - - - -BRIEFLY flirted with becoming a hurricane, when it was way out in the gulf. The National Hurricane Center probably has to take a bit of blame as they insisted on keeping up the hurricane warnings on our coast, even though I'd bet that there was not a single meteorologist at NHC that believed that SUSTAINED hurricane force winds would ever materialize along the shore. They (NHC) were concerned about intensification just before landfall (understandable), but still - to call that thing a 70mph TS Monday evening was ridiculous.

Perhaps if they had lowered the winds just slightly, then changed the coastal warning to a tropical storm warning, then the national media would have backed off the hype.

Then again - no, they'd still hype it. Now they make it look like Floridians overreacted. Sometimes you just can't win. It's the world I work in. :)

Mike

--

Mike, Thanks for the explanation of the problem with the Noon newscast. It was very strange indeed.

Thank You also for the wonderful job you do! My family & I know we can always depend on you for "accurate information". The Weather Channel & other National media outlets are ridiculous. It's like they're all crying wolf & then if/when we do get a bad storm no one will know whether or not to believe them. Thanks again for being someone we can trust! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the input Mike! I do read your website often, just wish I could I watch you more, but my Sony gives you awful audio.

I too was greatly surprised to see the ramped up intensity of Alberto and that they issued a Hurricane Warning. I thought maybe NHC did that b/c of the surge threat in The Big Bend? But you are right, it was overkill!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else noticed that all the news staff at WCTV appears to have really good tans lately? At first I thought it was just makeup or lighting but they seem to be a litter darker today than they were earlier in the week. Maybe they have a tanning bed/booth in the new studios....Ha! :lol: I obviously have way too much free time if I actually notice stuff like this!

Yeah I'm thinking too much time on hands. Maybe Mike could clear things up for us. Nancy Dingdong as a tan too!

Can't speak for Nancy, but we have quite a few sun worshipers here. Guess they don't hear me preaching the sunscreen every day, eh? :)

Hmmm, but I do have a close connection with Wolff Tan here in Tally. Maybe we should work out a "trade". :D

Mike

--

I "hear" ya... They have a great new LOOK... but their audio sounds like a tin can.

Since we have Mike McCall with us now, I wanted to bump this concept up again... Mike, your new station looks great, but what's with the audio?? The newscasts (and newscasts only) always sound muffled or tinny. I thought it might be my TV but every TV I've watched you all on sounds like that.

Since we have Mike McCall with us now, I wanted to bump this concept up again... Mike, your new station looks great, but what's with the audio?? The newscasts (and newscasts only) always sound muffled or tinny. I thought it might be my TV but every TV I've watched you all on sounds like that.

I totally agree 100% with the comments above. There is something strange (bad) with the audio ever since they moved to the new studio. I 've heard it not just on my TV, but several other friends & neighbors as well. It's only bad during their newscast, the commercials are fine. It's much easier to listen to Channel 27 even though I hate to.

OK - I have some info from management regarding our audio.

Quick background -

When we purchased the land across from Chiles High, we were going to build a brand new facility there. We built that little concrete building to house the digital transmitter, and fitted WTXL's old tower to be used for the digital signal, which doesn't need a high tower (but still using our 2000 ft. tower in Metcalfe for the analog signal). Well - since it literally tooks YEARS to get the permits to build a tv station - on land that used to have a tv station - the result was that the cost of construction increased FIFTY percent by the time we could actually break ground. SO - we scrapped that idea, purchased the old Florida News Channel building, renovated it, and here we are.

In light of this, we decided to co-locate our digital stuff with the analog stuff in Metcalfe. We hit a snag with some kind of audio problem on the digital end. (Here's where I don't know what I'm talking about.) We've been running a temporary patch for our audio signal, waiting to get the proper equipment so that both our analog and digital signals are where they should be.

And the best part - I am told that the "proper equipment" to (hopefully) fix the problem once and for all - should be here at the end of this week. If all works out - we should make all of you (and us) happy very, very soon.

Thanks for inquiring about the problems. I passed along the comments frequently so that management would know that it wasn't an isolated problem.

Mike

--

Thanks for the explanation there Mike. The audio was so bad on my TV (or maybe I have sensitive ears) that I've quit watching WCTV. I'll give it a try next week and see if anything has improved.......I hope it has. Glad to know that I'm finally NOT the only one who has been having this trouble w/their audio, it was very obvious on my TV the day the move was made and it has the same affect on my ears/nerves that some have to nails on a chalkboard.

Well I haven't experience any audio problems with WCTV, but I'm glad to hear about the audio upgrades. By the way, I absolutely love the new look of the station. I actually grew up watching the Tampa Bay/St Petersburg, Orlando, and Fort Myers news media and think they are all great! It's good to see that our local media is showing improvements and hopefully will soon be on par with the best of them.

A good enhancement would be a more panoramic view of the city so that we the viewers can see the new changes which are occuring around the city (and Downtown). Live shots of the traffic patterns on I-10 (especially during the road widening project), Capital Circle, and Mahan/Tennessee Streets during rush hour would be great.

Archived