Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

images

I was asked what a Royal Castle looked like. There were different versions before the chain’s 1975 demise, but the downtown one looked like the one at the top of the page.

I think it was at the corner of E. Church St. and Court St. Yes, it was pretty much just a Florida (based in Miami) knockoff of White Castle/Krystal.

Another location you may be familiar with is today’s Mr. Quick at Kirkman and Colonial in Pine Hills, although that building later saw an addition that doubled its size.

Edited by spenser1058

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

images

I was asked what a Royal Castle looked like. There were different versions before the chain’s 1975 demise, but the downtown one looked like the one at the top of the page.

I think it was at the corner of E. Church St. and Court St. Yes, it was pretty much just a Florida (based in Miami) knockoff of White Castle/Krystal.

Another location you may be familiar with is today’s Mr. Quick at Kirkman and Colonial in Pine Hills, although that building later saw an addition that doubled its size.

I remember that building but I never knew it had once been a Royal Castle.

There was one over in Cocoa too, back in the 60's - early 70's.....

us1dixon.png

Corner of US-1 and Dixon Blvd.

I can't remember if it was in the building shown in the pic or if it was in the empty space closer to the corner. 

I seem to recall it being closer to the corner, but the little building that's still there certainly looks like it could've been a Royal Castle. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I remember that building but I never knew it had once been a Royal Castle.

There was one over in Cocoa too, back in the 60's - early 70's.....

us1dixon.png

Corner of US-1 and Dixon Blvd.

I can't remember if it was in the building shown in the pic or if it was in the empty space closer to the corner. 

I seem to recall it being closer to the corner, but the little building that's still there certainly looks like it could've been a Royal Castle. 

There was also one of the updated versions (larger overhang all around and ROYAL CASTLE in plastic with the lighting behind) in Cocoa Beach. (3rd one down on the right side in the pic.)

After the Apollo layoffs, the big joke for NASA engineers going on a date was to go to the “RC Steak House”.

Edited by spenser1058

Speaking of sewage, Taco Bell has come up with a grilled Cheese Burrito (melted cheese on the outside!) that reaches a new level of disgusting for fast food.

Maybe that’s why it’s taking them so long to open the Taco Bell Cantina in the old Ivey’s - their arteries have hardened.

Edited by spenser1058

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Speaking of sewage, Taco Bell has come up with a grilled Cheese Burrito (melted cheese on the outside!) that reaches a new level of disgusting for fast food.

Maybe that’s why it’s taking them so long to open the Taco Bell Cantina in the old Ivey’s - their arteries have hardened.

Taco Bell is literally the best fast food joint to ever hit planet earth. I cannot wait to try the new grilled cheese burrito!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

It's a guilty pleasure food.  There's nothing wrong with that.  I find Beefy King bland and tasteless.  We all have our things.

(With that said, the Grilled Cheese Burrito I found to be meh.  Decent concept, execution was meh.  The beef and rice and double cheese just didn't work right together.

17 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

It's a guilty pleasure food.  There's nothing wrong with that.  I find Beefy King bland and tasteless.  We all have our things.

(With that said, the Grilled Cheese Burrito I found to be meh.  Decent concept, execution was meh.  The beef and rice and double cheese just didn't work right together.

There are things at Taco Bell I like but a grilled cheese burrito is just overkill. I’m hoping YUM! Brands is distracted because Pizza Hut is falling apart (and its biggest franchisee just declared bankruptcy).

On BEEFY, let me suggest the hot pastrami. It definitely has got flavor to it, especially with Horsey Sauce.

Edited by spenser1058

Honestly, I agree that YUM! has been distracted.  They've done various things this year that largely do nothing but anger their most passionate fanbase (removing the Cheesy Gordita Crunch as a combo, only offering the last LTO nachos as a party box, having a LTO that is "hidden").  Coming up with an entirely new and gratuitous burrito is the exact thing that excites taco bell fans.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

minus the "pleasure" part... If you find Beefy King bland then try Badass. Nothing bland there.

Bad  As's is one of the best places in town. I have been going there and bringing anybody who comes in town to visit since they started. (bonus, right next to Kyle's).  

I love Pom Pom's too in the same area. Two originals for sure! (and the reason they are there is because the rent is not exorbitant like in our lauded "ground-floor retail" in DT developments that stay vacant or are revolving doors of the hope/despair cycle)

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

Interesting.

I've been thinking of possibly writing a literary piece about the bag of garbage the SoDo location sold me in place of a dozen tacos that I ordered and paid over $13 dollars for about 3 weeks ago.

Worst trash I've ever eaten and a total waste of money, not to mention the time, gas and effort to drive there to get them.

If I had scraped the beef filling off of all 12 of them, I might have had enough for one decent taco.

And no, I am not exaggerating.

They basically sold me a bag of lettuce and cheese tacos with about 1/8" of beef in the bottom of each one.  

I wonder if they'd publish my story in their magazine....  

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Interesting.

I've been thinking of possibly writing a literary piece about the bag of garbage the SoDo location sold me in place of a dozen tacos that I ordered and paid over $13 dollars for about 3 weeks ago.

Worst trash I've ever eaten and a total waste of money, not to mention the time, gas and effort to drive there to get them.

If I had scraped the beef filling off of all 12 of them, I might have had enough for one decent taco.

And no, I am not exaggerating.

They basically sold me a bag of lettuce and cheese tacos with about 1/8" of beef in the bottom of each one.  

I wonder if they'd publish my story in their magazine....  

It’s not beef, it’s “mystery meat” or ‘try the “pink stuff”, it’s delicious!’

As @AndyPok1 points out, though, they know their demographic and I ain’t it, so it’s best to just put them in the same box as PBR and pass them by.

When I was that age, I could eat 20 Krystals at a sitting after riding a century, so heaven knows my palate took a while to come around also.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

I've always been mostly happy and satisfied with anything I've gotten from Taco Bell.

And though I had never purchased one dozen tacos at once, I've gotten two or three at a time and always been happy with them.

That's why I was so surprised, disappointed and pissed off when I started eating them and realized that I had just paid $13 for a dozen lettuce and cheese tacos with a "just a hint" of beef filling in the bottom. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I've always been mostly happy and satisfied with anything I've gotten from Taco Bell.

And though I had never purchased one dozen tacos at once, I've gotten two or three at a time and always been happy with them.

That's why I was so surprised, disappointed and pissed off when I started eating them and realized that I had just paid $13 for a dozen lettuce and cheese tacos with a "just a hint" of beef filling in the bottom. 

They want you to go vegan, @JFW657!

6 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Personally I'd complain to corporate, I've had that done to me a few times, and after a couple complaints (it was certain employees being lazy), they've never done it again. My understanding is corporate takes that seriously. Plus they refund you or give you coupons, don't remember which. Its not like McDonalds where they don't give a crap lol