Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

25 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Actually, the OG went because they didn’t have enough space and it got too crowded. When a building became available on 17-92 they went for it.

Darden had a fascination with the Ave for a bit. They also did The Good Earth and a test, The Fishery, there (which I worked at briefly but they were open for breakfast and I had a conflict with rowing practice at UCF).

My favorite spot was Two Flights Up (on the top floor of what’s now the Pottery Barn). Their prices were about the same as they would have been at a Bennigan’s of the time.

I remember 2FU.

I also remember back around "81, there was this down & dirty little dive bar around a corner back off Park Ave.

Probably frequented by Rollins students, I think.

The front entrance was amongst the backs of the other buildings as I recall.

The most unpretentious place I recall ever being in DTWP.

I cannot for the life of me remember the name of it.

3 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I remember 2FU.

I also remember back around "81, there was this down & dirty little dive bar around a corner back off Park Ave.

Oh wow, sounds amazing. The only other place I drank in WP back then was at the Crocodile Club, which was filled with Rollins kids and was most definitely pretentious. 

2 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Oh wow, sounds amazing. The only other place I drank in WP back then was at the Crocodile Club, which was filled with Rollins kids and was most definitely pretentious. 

This place was about a block or so off of Park Ave and was basically the back side of a building. 

Maybe the back half of something that fronted either Park Ave or a side street off of Park.

I seem to recall an outdoor stairway or something in the vicinity.

I'll have to check Google maps aerial 3D to see if anything rings a bell.

I only went there a couple of times.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I remember 2FU.

Are you thinking about Decades? It was a  late punk/ British invasion, alternative club, but when not playing live acts was just a grungy little bar that fronted Park and had a back entrance. Always full of students. There was also a "chillers/ fat tuesdays" type place although I'm sure you're not thinking about it.

Not on Park Ave, but remember the original Dexter's? It was definitely NOT pretentious. 

On 8/8/2020 at 12:08 PM, JFW657 said:

After reading the review and looking at the take out menu, it sounds like a great place to go if one is impressed by pretentious, over priced, Winter Park "food-snob" fare.  

Plus, by the time you walk or ride your bike all the way back to downtown Orlando carrying that take-out bag, it must be cold and probably shaken up to the point that it's no longer recognizable.... :lol: 

Is there a decent burger joint near there to get some real food at? :P 

I recommend the burger at the pig. It is worth the price and one of the best in Orlando. 

On 8/8/2020 at 12:51 PM, JFW657 said:

From this pic, it looks like $40 is their cheapest price...

ravpigtogo_sack.jpeg

Those are their dinner specials for two people. They have a menu for individuals. 

• Like 1

Interesting idea... Smokey Bones has rolled out 61 new burger joints and 61 new wing places. Well, kind of. Actually they are doing ghost kitchens in all of their existing BBQ locations dedicated to burgers and wings (separate entities).  While I'm not personally the biggest fan of Smokey Bones I applaud them for- what I think- is a brilliant strategic decision. If nothing else, what a great way to test market new concepts.

https://tastychomps.com/2020/08/smokey-bones-rolls-out-two-new-brands-the-wing-experience-and-the-burger-experience-in-61-locations.htm

I know a lot of the big chains are using ghost kitchens now, I suspect we will see much, much more of this in the future.

Also, there has been a lot of press about how bars are trying to get around the shutdown mandate. Hourglass and Rockpit have 2 interesting approaches. Ivanhoe is taking a different route-

https://tastychomps.com/2020/08/flippers-pizzeria-partners-with-ivanhoe-park-brewing-co-to-sell-pizzas-at-bar.html

Sticking with Tasty Chomps and back to BBQ... I've been wanting to try Get-N-Messy at Hall and Aloma (yes, in a gas station). Has anyone tried it yet?

• Like 1

On 8/8/2020 at 2:15 PM, JFW657 said:

I remember 2FU.

On 8/8/2020 at 2:21 PM, spenser1058 said:

On 8/8/2020 at 2:27 PM, JFW657 said:

This place was about a block or so off of Park Ave and was basically the back side of a building. 

Maybe the back half of something that fronted either Park Ave or a side street off of Park.

I seem to recall an outdoor stairway or something in the vicinity.

I'll have to check Google maps aerial 3D to see if anything rings a bell.

I only went there a couple of times.

On 8/8/2020 at 2:32 PM, AmIReal said:

Are you thinking about Decades? It was a  late punk/ British invasion, alternative club, but when not playing live acts was just a grungy little bar that fronted Park and had a back entrance. Always full of students. There was also a "chillers/ fat tuesdays" type place although I'm sure you're not thinking about it.

Not on Park Ave, but remember the original Dexter's? It was definitely NOT pretentious. 

I managed to find it on a blogger page called Extinct Orlando.... http://extinctorlando.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

The place was called... Uncle Waldo's.

It was at the corner of Park Ave & New England, in the back, facing the parking lot behind Peterbrooke Chocolatier and Häagen Dazs . 

unclewalsdos.png

unclewalsdos2.png

I don't remember exactly which building it was in or where the entrance was.

Maybe where the awning/canopy is or where the white car is.

Here's an old OS article from 2010 about John Lennon, in which the author references it. No pay wall.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/os-xpm-2010-12-09-os-cal-abbott-lennon-tribute-121010-20101209-story.html

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Interesting idea... Smokey Bones has rolled out 61 new burger joints and 61 new wing places. Well, kind of. Actually they are doing ghost kitchens in all of their existing BBQ locations dedicated to burgers and wings (separate entities).  While I'm not personally the biggest fan of Smokey Bones I applaud them for- what I think- is a brilliant strategic decision. If nothing else, what a great way to test market new concepts.

https://tastychomps.com/2020/08/smokey-bones-rolls-out-two-new-brands-the-wing-experience-and-the-burger-experience-in-61-locations.htm

I know a lot of the big chains are using ghost kitchens now, I suspect we will see much, much more of this in the future.

Also, there has been a lot of press about how bars are trying to get around the shutdown mandate. Hourglass and Rockpit have 2 interesting approaches. Ivanhoe is taking a different route-

https://tastychomps.com/2020/08/flippers-pizzeria-partners-with-ivanhoe-park-brewing-co-to-sell-pizzas-at-bar.html

Sticking with Tasty Chomps and back to BBQ... I've been wanting to try Get-N-Messy at Hall and Aloma (yes, in a gas station). Has anyone tried it yet?

The weird thing I've found about ghost kitchens during this pandemic is the weirdness of food delivery.

You mentioned Smokey Bones specifically, so I'll use that (despite my not having tried that actual place, so watch that one be the good exception) as my example.

Fire up DoorDash, UberEats, or GrubHub.  Look for wings, burgers, and bbq.  Try to order some Smokey Bones ribs, some Wing Experience wings, and a Burger Experience burger.  You can't without 3 different orders.  With 3 different delivery fees.  With 3 different drivers.  With 3 different tips.  Despite all 3 being picked up at the exact same physical location.

1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

The weird thing I've found about ghost kitchens during this pandemic is the weirdness of food delivery.

You mentioned Smokey Bones specifically, so I'll use that (despite my not having tried that actual place, so watch that one be the good exception) as my example.

Fire up DoorDash, UberEats, or GrubHub.  Look for wings, burgers, and bbq.  Try to order some Smokey Bones ribs, some Wing Experience wings, and a Burger Experience burger.  You can't without 3 different orders.  With 3 different delivery fees.  With 3 different drivers.  With 3 different tipsDespite all 3 being picked up at the exact same physical location.

How does that work?

Does the restaurant deliver the food to the delivery service who then delivers it to the customer? 

Noooope.  No sir.  I was at Wall St March 14 for a friend's birthday and what I (rightfully) assumed would be a last hurrah.  Beyond a few stops for take-out and to leave excessive tips to try to contribute to service industry friends, won't catch me near any bars.   2020 is the year of the patio drinks in Wadeview.   Take a ride on your bike down Summerlin or Delaney and join us Spenser!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

I know you’ve been waiting for this - Scott J stops in at Bad As’s WP location. I can’t wait to hear what @JFW657 thinks of the prices...

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/51-american/5326-bad-as-s-sandwich-winter-park

Depends on the size of the sandwich.

If one sandwich is big enough for two big guys to get filled up on, then it's not all that out of line for most sandwich places nowadays.

I think Jersey Mike's has a large or giant sub for over $12 bucks.

Given my situation now, I might buy one once or twice just to give them a try, but if I were a younger person still trying to get ahead financially, it would be pretty much out of the question. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Depends on the size of the sandwich.

If one sandwich is big enough for two big guys to get filled up on, then it's not all that out of line for most sandwich places nowadays.

I think Jersey Mike's has a large or giant sub for over $12 bucks.

Given my situation now, I might buy one once or twice just to give them a try, but if I were a younger person still trying to get ahead financially, it would be pretty much out of the question. 

My old standby, a foot long Italian Pub Sub is $6.99 and I can order online and not stand in line at the Deli. Life is good.

Regarding Bad As's prices.  They are high, but generally a full sandwich is overly filling for me.  3/4 is more the right amount, but it tastes so good that I finish it anyway.  You're paying for quality.  I love me Jersey Mikes and Pub Subs, but this isn't a sub, and shouldn't be compared to it.  This is a gourmet sandwich, and worth the cost.

• Like 4

This has been coming for a while but we now know as many as 300 Pizza Huts will be closing due to the bankruptcy of its largest franchisee.

No word if Orlando Huts will be affected but it will mostly be the old-style version with dining rooms.

Only two come to mind locally: on Maguire in Target’s parking lot and I-Drive. Can you think of others?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/17/business/pizza-hut-closures-npc-international/index.html

From CNN

The franchiser also has a bunch of Wendy’s but no word on their fate.

16 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

This has been coming for a while but we now know as many as 300 Pizza Huts will be closing due to the bankruptcy of its largest franchisee.

No word if Orlando Huts will be affected but it will mostly be the old-style version with dining rooms.

Only two come to mind locally: on Maguire in Target’s parking lot and I-Drive. Can you think of others?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/17/business/pizza-hut-closures-npc-international/index.html

From CNN

The franchiser also has a bunch of Wendy’s but no word on their fate.

There is a dining room down on 535?  I think.  It's been a long time, but there was one at the corner of 535 and Palm Parkway.

• Thanks 1

Dandelion is gone and it ain’t coming back:

https://bungalower.com/2020/08/17/dandelion-community-cafe-to-close-after-14-years-of-business/

From Bungalower 

Dandelion used to have some of the best veggie sammiches around and the funky couches in the rooms of the former small house made it  fun to hang out and just be.

Best of all, I could walk over after working out at the Y and then walk home. No cars or pollution required (except some methane if I had something with beans or sprouts...)

Scott J does the takeout thing at Reel Fish Coastal Kitchen in WP:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/68-seafood/5329-takeout-from-reel-fish-coastal-kitchen

As much of a seafood addict as I am, I’d do just about anything for a place like this in Thornton Park ever since we lost CityFish.

Edited by spenser1058