Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

2 hours ago, jgardnerucf said:

Traffic on that island location sucks.

Traffic on the intersection of Millenia and Conroy is atrocious. To make it worse, AT&T doesn't work there. AT&T doesn't work in the Florida Mall either. Never understood why. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 10:57 PM, spenser1058 said:

I would agree with you except that, after my car was stolen in 2001. I decided to use Lynx and become a true urbanista. I won’t tell you how many late buses, buses that simply didn’t come or buses that zoomed past me because they were full that I dealt with over the year before I eventually broke down and replaced the car.

Admittedly, maybe the downtown routes are more trustworthy (this was primarily commuting to I-Drive and back, as well as to medical appointments and the like), but it was far from as reliable as MARTA rail/bus that I used in Atlanta.

Nevertheless, you need not worry about me. From my convenient perch here along the shores of Eola, I generally walk or ride my bike to places close at hand other than driving to work. Being able to walk to Publix is one of the joys of my life (although as @nite owℓ knows, I do make a Target run every Sunday morning to protest Publix’ politics). I’m content to walk or ride to the Y, Church, the library and to Maxine’s and BEEFY so I may keep my Navy Blue level DNC card.

If we ever get rail or more dependable service from Lynx (there are small cities in Indiana with more buses), perhaps I’ll branch out. For now, I’m content.

@Jernigan, I’m pleased to report that the main reason I used my car, to get to my day job, is no longer a factor as I have signed up for permanent work at home.

As a result, I’ll be staying downtown for the most part. When I can only do short hops to NSB, I may still have to use the Focus, but I’m trying to keep up with @dcluley98 and ride my bike over whenever I have at least a 3-day break.

It isn’t always easy being green here in Central Florida but I’m committed!

Edited by spenser1058

More on Ronnie’s, because, after all, it was the most astounding restaurantin the history of the planet - what more can I say but RONNIE’S RULES!

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/os-fe-joy-wallace-dickinson-20200503-cnytiz5uhjgb5pjwzbnsnitidi-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058

Something I was thinking about as I was posting on Ronnie’s- at least from the ‘50’s on, downtown was never the place for fine dining locally.

The original “restaurant row” would have been US 17-92 in Winter Park. The Villa Nova (founded by the D’Agostinos, who first owned LaCantina), the Imperial House, Monty’s (Larry Leckart’s shot at upscale - it never caught on like Ronnie’s). There was also Beef & Bottle and the smaller, more intimate spots on Park Ave. One would also include Freddie’s Steak House in Fern Park.

The House of Beef on West Colonial (plus Maitland), Roger’s in Colonialtown and LaCantina (although it was a dive until they built the new building) would have made up a second tier.

The Cherry Plaza (Post Parkside) tried several things. (and the view was to die for) and in the ‘60’s there was Top O’Citizens but nothing high-end ever really caught on as a standalone dinner house until the ‘80’s and ‘90’s with Manuel’s on the 28th (that was Manny of Pebbles fame and the best BK franchise in the country) and Kres* (the one still left along with dining at the Grand Bo - a gift to us from local hotelier Richard Kessler).

Prior to the ‘50’s, maybe the Angebilt , San Juan (and there was dancing atop Yowell-Drew on the weekends) had something but all faded apparently as Orlando grew.

That’s just another facet of how “Orlando” was always more about the region than a concentrated downtown. I know I keep coming back to that, but the further back I go the more true it is and it would be strange to think the 145-year history of the place will just magically be rewritten. 

As someone who studied urban economics and history, we were always taught that cities come to be for specific reasons and advantages. Why would Orlando just all of a sudden change course given billions of dollars devoted to infrastructure according to a different model? Not to mention the psychic investment over decades in “this is how our community works”.

Of course, as the saying goes, “follow the money”. These days, our highest-end dining venues tend to be located close to OCCC and the hordes of expense account laden conventioneers thereabouts.

One other thing to ponder: one of the advantages of having a corporate HQ is their interest (and investment) in the local community. One of our local firms, Darden, not only removed their mid-range Olive Garden from downtown, they also have shown no interest in giving us a Capital Grille, Eddie V’s or Seasons 52, either.

Their spin-off of the mother ship, Red Lobster, has its corporate offices downtown but no restaurant. What does this tell us?

* Interesting coincidence? Kres was a Pebbles before its current incarnation. Less coincidental: we had a BK downtown before Manny sold the franchise back to corporate.

Edited by spenser1058

DeSantis is taking Florida into Phase 2 Reopening this Friday, which allows for 100% capacity at restaurants if they are able to meet a 6' distance between tables and 50% at bars and clubs, with some limitations.  In reality, it's the wild west. Local authorities have no teeth to enforce the measures (and are otherwise occupied at the moment) and the State has taken down their reporting portal.

• Thanks 1

More good news (just bursting out all over today):

Brio and Bravo restaurants, which had filed for bankruptcy a few months ago, will be purchased by Robert Earl, he of restaurants like Planet Hollywood and the Earl of Sandwich.

Since Earl’s company is headquartered here in Orlando, that will keep their HQ in town as well:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/5267-earl-enterprises-to-purchase-brio-and-bravo-restaurants

Feom Scott J

Random notes... Ceviche closed.  Sign for a Cucina Pizza and bar at 54 Church.  Cholo Dogs has replaced GB's at Market on Magnolia.  Bao's Castle in SoDo is EXCELLENT (get the soft shell crab).  The shakes from Mooyah at Lucky's Plaza are decadent.  I've heard that Pipers on Curry Ford is closed and becoming a Graffiti.  The KFC chicken sandwich thats supposed to compete with popeyes and chick fil a that's being testing in Orlando... does not compete, but is fine.  Hungry Pants kale caesar (and bacon and chicken) came recommended and was great,

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

Random notes... Ceviche closed.  Sign for a Cucina Pizza and bar at 54 Church.  Cholo Dogs has replaced GB's at Market on Magnolia.  Bao's Castle in SoDo is EXCELLENT (get the soft shell crab).  The shakes from Mooyah at Lucky's Plaza are decadent.  I've heard that Pipers on Curry Ford is closed and becoming a Graffiti.  The KFC chicken sandwich thats supposed to compete with popeyes and chick fil a that's being testing in Orlando... does not compete, but is fine.  Hungry Pants kale caesar (and bacon and chicken) came recommended and was great,

That Cucina sign has been there for ages. Everything in that spot seems to take forever to open...and then closes even quicker. 

Cafe Tu Tu Tango has whipped up a special “Love Is Love” rainbow cocktail for PRIDE month and best of all, if you head down to I-Drive to try one,  part of the proceeds goes to Mills/50’s Zebra Coalition, a fabulous! non-profit that helps out local LGBT+ youth as well as others in need of a helping hand. Give this one a shot soon!

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/5274-bullet-point-buffet-edibles-and-drinkables

From Scott J

More about Zebra Coalition (these folks rock!)

https://www.zebrayouth.org/

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Btw, if you buy stuff from amazon, go to https://smile.amazon.com/gp/chpf/about

and you can select Zebra Coalition as your designated recipient.

That way, whenever you buy something from amazon, a little bit of the profit is donated to Zebra. See, you can help without even doing more than buying stuff. Is this a great country or what?

And, yes, Zebra is my choice for my amazonsmile purchases, because they are awesome!

Edited by spenser1058