Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

Not downtown but I'll recommend Julie's Jewels & Gifts on Haywood. Way back when (geez was it really 11 years ago(in 3 days)) the only place we could find platinum bands was there. Ever since that, Julie's is pretty much the only place we go. Very helpful staff and Julie herself is great to work with ...

Childress on Augusta Rd. is also good they just moved to new location in the shopping center with Foxfire and Talbot's.

I hope this is an appropriate place for me to pose this question; I wasn't certain. I have a question about liquor rules in Greenville (or maybe all of SC?).

I moved here a few months ago from Seattle. I owned a restaurant/bar there, so I was intimate with the regulations. But here, I seem to keep butting up against contradictions. A couple of months ago, I walked to the checkout counter of my local Bloom on Sunday with a bottle of Pinot Noir. Man, you would've thought I was trying to purchase crack cocaine, for the reaction I got.

Another time, the day I arrived here I was staying at the Hyatt downtown, and the bar had only mini-bottles, like they serve on airlines. They said a law had recently been repealed that allowed individual drinks to be mixed only from the mini-bottles, and that they were using up inventory. :(

Even my colleagues can't agree what the rules are, and the state regulations site is out of date (still refers to the mini-bottles). So, if any of you fine citizens of my new home can fill me in, in plain English, what the rules are, I would be in your debt. It might save me more embarrassing moments...

-Patrick

The laws are rather all over the place with respect to alcohol sales in Greenville County and Greenville City. At one time, there was no problem buying alcohol in a restaurant inside of City Limits. Now, many retailers have taken advantage of a ruling which says they can also pay for stamps to sell alcohol on Sunday's the same way the restaurants do. If you can catch him with some downtime, check with Don at Total Wine & More and he can probably give you more details as they just began to sell on Sundays.

As for the mini-bottle thing, there was a requirement until about 2 years (or thereabouts) ago which said that mixed drinks in the State of SC were to be made using mini-bottles. Voters went to the polls and gave the legislature the ability to change this. Whether they've actually changed it or not, I don't know. I don't drink much. :lol:

Edited by RestedTraveler

The state repealed the law requiring bars and restaurants to use minibottles a little over a year ago. Some businesses have not made the switch to larger bottles yet (some because they fear change, some because their shelves were built for the minibottle and they haven't gotten new cabinets yet, some because of existing inventory)

Each municipality in SC has the option to vote on Sunday alcohol sales. The City of Greenville allows alcohol sales in bars, restaurants and grocery stores if that business has received a license for it. Greenville County (outside the city limits) does not allow any alcohol sales on Sunday.

Note: not all grocery stores inside the city limits have opted to pay for the Sunday alcohol license yet, you may have to shop around in your area.

Note 2: All liquor stores close at 7:00 pm M-S and are closed on Sunday.

Welcome to SC!

I've never figured out the logical reasoning behind the two entrances (and therefore two stores within a store)....one for liquor and one for beer / wine.

What is also funny is the fact that dessert wine (port, sherry, etc.) must be purchased from the liquor store section at Total Wine. I guess the added alcohol content puts it in the "liquor" category, but it's still strange to me.

Just saw this article in the Greenville News stating that ESPN will be televising the Big League World Series championship in Easley for the next 8 years:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....PORTS/701040344

This should be good exposure for the Upstate, especially if the announcers promote Easley as a suburb of Greenville rather than a "small town."

Anyway, I was thinking about the plan for Greenville Municipal Stadium and wondered if they might try to steal the World Series from Easley (or go after another level like Little League, Junior League, etc.). Thoughts?

Just saw this article in the Greenville News stating that ESPN will be televising the Big League World Series championship in Easley for the next 8 years:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....PORTS/701040344

This should be good exposure for the Upstate, especially if the announcers promote Easley as a suburb of Greenville rather than a "small town."

Anyway, I was thinking about the plan for Greenville Municipal Stadium and wondered if they might try to steal the World Series from Easley (or go after another level like Little League, Junior League, etc.). Thoughts?

This is great news!! :thumbsup: WYFF had this story on the news last night also. This event always fills up the local hotels...it's a great event for the area. Lets hope ESPN highlights some of the areas attractions. :thumbsup:

Edited by gsupstate

I saw this on CNN and on the Weather Channel just a little while ago. Tornado hits Liberty Elementary School. More info: http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...NEWS01/70105014

We're covering the amazing weather story in Liberty tonight. A confirmed tornado that missed hitting children leaving from school, by two minutes! I'm blogging on carolinas cw.com tonight.

http://www.carolinascw.com/blogspot/article/libertys_miracle

Amy Wood

Thanks for the info, Amywood and welcome to Urbanplanet. This is indeed shocking because I live in the Easley/Powdersville area near the Saco Lowell site, which isn't that far from Liberty and it wasn't that bad at my house at all. Definitely glad nobody was seriously injured or killed.

We're covering the amazing weather story in Liberty tonight. A confirmed tornado that missed hitting children leaving from school, by two minutes! I'm blogging on carolinas cw.com tonight.

Amy Wood

Welcome to the forum Amy! We're glad to have someone from the media on UP :) Channel 7 had a good report on the tornado in Liberty tonight.

Great to have you here too, g-man. Try not to get banned this time. ;)

I would expect that g-man is intimately familiar with the rules by this point. I hope he will choose to follow them this time. Metro.m very rarely un-bans people, so I trust that g-man will not make him regret the decision.

I would expect that g-man is intimately familiar with the rules by this point. I hope he will choose to follow them this time. Metro.m very rarely un-bans people, so I trust that g-man will not make him regret the decision.

I am very familiar with the rules on UP. I will definitely follow them this time. I regret what I did and apologize for it. It will not happen ever again and you can count on it. :)

Amy Wood

Welcome aboard, Amy! Great to have you here!

I am very familiar with the rules on UP. I will definitely follow them this time. I regret what I did and apologize for it. It will not happen ever again and you can count on it. :)

That sounds like the voice of maturity to me. And part of maturity is, after all, learning from one's mistakes. Welcome back, Jacob!

Welcome to the forum, Amy! :D Glad you decided to post here. Watching the incredible footage of the aftermath of both small tornadoes, I cannot even imagine witnessing real cars or trucks being tossed into the air like toys. How amazing to know only minor injuries were the end result. :shok:

Did anyone read the article in today's Greenville News about Belk, Inc.'s Western Division headquarters leaving Greenville for Birmingham, Alabama? They currently employ 20 on Main Street, but plan to relocate to position themselves more centrally to their stores because of expansion and Belk's recent purchase of Parisian, Proffitt's, and McRae's chains from Saks Inc.

Belk has corporate in Charlotte at the office building on Tyvola. All buying, human resource, marketing / advertising, operations are done from there. They have four regional divisions, that employ about 15 to 20 people. These people travel to stores, and their main job function is to ensure that stores are following the directions of the coroprate office.

The 4 divisions / regional offices are Charlotte for Central (this one being in the same office building with corporate), Greenville for Western, Raleigh for Northern and Jacksonville for Southern. At one time each of these divisions employ around 200 to 250 and they had de-centralized buying, but a few years ago, all offices were centralized in Charlotte, thus these 15 or so people are all that are left in each regional office.

With Belk opening new stores in Texas and Oklahoma and branching out further west, this makes sense. The couple of offices for Western in Greenville were on a floor in the office building over Atlanta Bread on Main....ironically the old Ivey's from years ago. :)

An additional note, the Belk corporate plane instead of being based in Charlotte, has been based in Greenville at the downtown airport for years.

Edited by gsupstate