The EpiCentre / TwoTenTrade / aloft

ElricSeven

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just in:

On Charlotte observer website they announce that the hotel component will be a "loft" style hotel done by an atlanta-based hotel operator. It mentions W Hotel as the company that developed the concept. it also says it will 12 stories atop the 3 stories of retail. so 15. here is the link http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/13833152.htm.

enjoy for more about.

Well.....we're not getting a W, but it was a close guess.

Doug Smith reports that we area getting an Aloft Hotel, which is a lower-price point version of W, owned by Starwood, but operated by their W division. (this brand concept was originally rumored to called XYZ, but has been since rebranded "Aloft")

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/13833152.htm

This is almost the best of both worlds, in that it will be a really cool/mod hotel, but at a much lower price point than a W. The only downside is that Alofts will be fairly common across the country, but most will be a suburban format, so ours will be unique in that respect.

http://www.alofthotels.com/

I'm stoked, and this only solidifies College St. as the main lodging area, with a wide range or products.....NASCAR take note.

EDIT: I looked at a Starwood press release from late January, and Charlotte is one of the first 5 markets to apply for the Aloft franchise. The other four are Baltimore, Boston, the Phoenix airport, and a suburb of Chicago.

Very cool. I think that's even better. It will be awesome to have a Starwood hotel that is a unique and new brand. It will help distinguish the city, at least for a little while until they become ubiquitous.

A little disappointed about it only being 15 stories tall (including the retail floors). But that is still very good for density. I bet the Ritz being across the street helped convince Starwood to come here.

Based on the branding images, I bet all of you modernists will be very happy with the tower design.

So this means that the hotel will be built along with the rest of the complex, rather than being a "future addition"?

Sounds awesome. I'm just as glad that it's not "W". "Aloft" sounds like a place I could afford to splurge on for a trip to Charlotte; "W" - sorry, too much splurge.

Edit:

And remember, this place will have high ceilings - so 15 stories will stretch further than it would on most other hotels. I'm not disappointed about 15 stories at all. I do hope it looks a bit better than the sheer "block" depicted in the renderings on the site mentioned previously.

It looks like they retain the XYZ branding for the lobby/bar concept.

Having looked through the website a little more, I'm convinced this will be a popular hotel chain. It is definitely of the W mold, but less expensive in a business climate where cost cutting is important. Having been a road warrior for a number of years myself, I think they hit on many of the needs in that market.

I really like the Re:fuel concept. Where you can buy more homey, healthy meals. Eating in restaurants 5 days a week just gets so gross, even if they are nice restaurants.

This is great news and will definitely fill a niche within the Charlotte market that is currently lacking.

The observer article mentioned it would be across Trade from the Ritz, and not at College and 4th as in the preliminary rendering. Trade Street is going to have a Tryon-style canyon now stretching from Trademark to the arena without a gap. Dueling cranes in the near future :D

This is great news and will definitely fill a niche within the Charlotte market that is currently lacking.

The observer article mentioned it would be across Trade from the Ritz, and not at College and 4th as in the preliminary rendering. Trade Street is going to have a Tryon-style canyon now stretching from Trademark to the arena without a gap. Dueling cranes in the near future :D

Well to be truthful, there will be a small gap in front of Corillian on the opposite side from the Trademark.

Only the lot between Builders and first Presbyterian...Charlotte's first skyscraper :thumbsup: Either way it will look awesome!

It sure will. :)

As I was driving up Trade a few weeks back, I saw where the Vue will go up if it does indeed go up, (I feel good about it), and it appears closer to Trade in person than in pictures. It just doesn't seem to me that it will look as isolated from the other buildings.

I like reading the article where it says the 210 Trade condos will be built too. These articles make it seem like the Condo Tower is definately going up. I find that amusing.

I think this is a good height for a building at that location. It will be a nice break to have 4-story entertainment section, 15-story hotel, and 50ish story high rise all in the same complex, plus you will still be able to see the "darth vader" building behind it while walking down college - that is if I am thinking of the right location.

I think this is a good height for a building at that location. It will be a nice break to have 4-story entertainment section, 15-story hotel, and 50ish story high rise all in the same complex, plus you will still be able to see the "darth vader" building behind it while walking down college - that is if I am thinking of the right location.

This building will go along 4th street just across from a short end of the darth vader building.

I hope the Aloft in Charlotte will look better than the images shown on their website. The rooms look dingy with little light, and the furniture looks like something salvaged from a 1960's landfill or the old BWI airport. For crying out loud, the walls are a monotone brown! I would not shell out $150 for a night in that shotgun motel. (I guess I'm spoiled living in Vegas though)

Not really a W......sort of like getting a Courtyard by Marriott instead of a J.W. Marriott.

Still....I think this hotel will prove extemely popular, and perhaps that will give Starwood confidence that Charlotte is "hip" enough to support a true W....though that's probably about 5 more years down the road.

I think the next true luxury hotel will be a Four Seasons, with a residentail component......I have no basis for saying that, but it's just a gut feeling.

Ok, Now that we got that figured out, I wanna know what the final tenant list is going to be. I mean we havent heard if the Fox Sports Grill is still in, or the bowling alley and movie theater either. Now that all the activitie is showing up in the area, I'm really kinda expecting something big to happy in the retail department, say something like a virgin mega store would be HUGE!!!! What are some thoughts on this?

Fox is a done deal I believe.....it's listed on their website as a "coming soon" location.

In today's print version of the CBJ, Raving Brands announced they were bringing 7 out of 8 concepts to Epicentre including, Moe's and Mama Fu's.

Also, a chain Irish bar (mostly in the northeast) called McFadden's Pub is committed.

I don't believe anything else is a definite, especially the movie theatre, but I believe Lucky Strikes bowling is still interested.

I do hope their is some true retail beyond restaurants/bars/entertainment.

Archived