CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

Great news.

Cousins originally built (or developed or initially managed) Haywood Mall.

The founder of Cousins is a Presbyterian activist in Atlanta.

Any word on the retail component?

I have no information regarding the retail component or a construction timeline. There is a meeting at city hall on September 17th so more information might be released then. It looks like there might be retail at the bottom of the highrises. Hard to tell though.

Edited by citylife

courtesy of gman:

Office building. Main Street on right and West Washington Street on left:

washingtonsquare2.jpg

Office building in foreground with hotel in background. Retail/restaurant space between two buildings. Piazza Bergamo to the right of development:

washingtonsquare1.jpg

Right on the money design wise. A bit of a commanding presence.....a bit serious. Solid. Planted. Heavy. An understated and timeless elegance. Doesn't appear to be over reaching to try and make a statement.

I like ALOT. :):):)

Just wanted to weigh in on this one...

My initial thoughts upon reading the article were very positive. This block is going to be dynamic - urban, contemporary, and progressive. We have some heavy hitters involved with TIC and Cousins, so you know it will be a first class development. They know what they are doing. They realize what it takes to make something like this happen. And based on rumors we've heard, they are talking with the right people (national booksellers, Walgreens, national hotel brands, etc.). I feel confident that this will happen, regardless of the "bad economy."

Then I saw the renderings, and was not disappointed. Just what I would expect from quality developers like these guys. Can't wait to learn more. :thumbsup:

Obligatory question: Do you prefer the two buildings (13 and 12 stories) or would you have liked to see one taller building (25 stories)? I actually think I prefer having these two, simply because they will still make an impact on the skyline and provide more density at the same time. I am curious to know what you guys think.

I like the design as well. My first question is regarding the office building. Will it actually sit directly next to the sidewalk, or be set back like the other "new" towers? I am not a fan of highrises dominating the sidewalk, personally. I really like the sound of a "retail/restaurant corridor".

In answer to the question above, I strongly prefer the two towers in this location as opposed to one taller tower.

Ok, my turn. You guys know I am always the skeptic, right? :) I love the sound of this development, and really hope this happens, and reatively soon. :yahoo:

However, I will have to wait until this actually gets underway before getting excited, there have just been too many false alarms, and it sounds like this one still has a ways to go. Even the first part of the article states, "If it gets built..." As for the renderings, they look good, with only two considerations. Too boxy, and they would really be incredible with a more creative (and less flat roofline)! Regardless, I'll definitely take em'! :thumbsup: Hope this happens soon, I'll keep all my appendages crossed for this one. Thanks for all the info citylife!

One question; do you guys think this project could drive a nail in the coffins of the other big DT projects such as Gateway, Peacock, Pinnacle (which is probably dead anyway) and Riverplace? WIth this much office space and this many new hotel rooms, it looks like Gville will have enough of both to go around for quite some time. :dontknow:

Oh, and I like the two buildings instead of one in this case as well. Density over height here. Especially since they have flat rooflines anyway.

Edited by distortedlogic

Obligatory question: Do you prefer the two buildings (13 and 12 stories) or would you have liked to see one taller building (25 stories)? I actually think I prefer having these two, simply because they will still make an impact on the skyline and provide more density at the same time. I am curious to know what you guys think.

I think density makes more sense in that location.

Looking forward to seeing this one break ground!

Hopefully it will be set back the typical distance (for Main Street only). This section of Main is typically very crowded and such an influx of people would only make matters worse. The added sidewalk width would be helpful for that, and also it would be nice to have some sidewalk dining on this side, too.

I'm glad there's no talk of parking. The Richardson parking garage is way too close to add additional spaces on this block.

I really like the sound of a "retail/restaurant corridor".

Me too. With the restaurant corridor facing Piazza Bergamo, and the redo of Piazza Bergamo, this will add another Riverwalk / Falls Park type, quality gathering area. For lack of a better marketing term, a "see and be seen" type area.

That is a good looking design. I would like to see a little more variation on the Main Street ground level but if they put together a good retail mix on the Bergamo Piazza side and make that area come alive it will work OK.

The main thing is to get this going soon. It work really make a good landmark for a key intersection.

Any chance of talking Samsung into the project:)

That is a good looking design. I would like to see a little more variation on the Main Street ground level but if they put together a good retail mix on the Bergamo Piazza side and make that area come alive it will work OK.
Just take a look at the Wachovia Place development across the intersection for an idea of what this place may look like at the sidewalk level once completely built. ;)
The main thing is to get this going soon. It work really make a good landmark for a key intersection.
I hope everyone is ready to wait a long while for this one to develop. Without clear economic prosperity in the forecast and no prospective tenants announced yet, this waiting game will likely take lots of patience. If anyone has connections in other cities, please get the word out about our downtown and this new development proposal.