Hue

reed

On the council agenda today:

20.1 300 West Hargett Street

A request has been received from City View Hargett Street 207, LLC to encroach on City right-of-way for the purpose of installing building footings. A report is in the agenda packet.

Starting work will still be conditional on permits, but things are moving along quickly on this one. :)

^^

this means they are going to park some huge crane on Hargett Street for a few weeks/months, right? I hope they aren't going to take a lane of Dawson Street...that would be a disaster for the folks commuting into/out of downtown...

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the council agenda today:

20.1 300 West Hargett Street

A request has been received from City View Hargett Street 207, LLC to encroach on City right-of-way for the purpose of installing building footings. A report is in the agenda packet.

Starting work will still be conditional on permits, but things are moving along quickly on this one. :)

I am pleasantly surprised this one moved so quickly. I had my doubts but several folks here said this would be their #1 choice to live downtown. The scale, orientation are all to my liking....did Hue have commercial space on the first floor? have to check back in the thread and see....yep, 10,000 sqft along Hargett....c'mon CAM, lets make this the coolest neighborhood downtown.......I hope to put a sandwhich shop in Boyettes Automotive one day if anyone wants to stop in...pipe dream, but I am really big on the warehouse districts potential with Hue moving along....

I think that stretch of Dawson would be in a state right of way (NC 50) so I'd guess the city right of way on Hargett is the one to be blocked. I saw the fence from Morgan Street last night, and think it only blocked the parking lot, not the sidewalk, but I'm not sure.

I would like to see a reader's corner/coffee shop, a moved FM Goods, a moved/diner spin off of Irregardless, etc. all in that area, but who knows what Hue will have for retail.

We walked through the Park Dev area recently but didnt see anything that really appealled to us, 2 bedrooms (1700 sq ft) was being offered for about $350k, does anyone have any info on when the Hue is going to be priced? Any feedback on the history of the developer?

We walked through the Park Dev area recently but didnt see anything that really appealled to us, 2 bedrooms (1700 sq ft) was being offered for about $350k, does anyone have any info on when the Hue is going to be priced? Any feedback on the history of the developer?

Developer is Tramell Crow... they are a national real estate firm--not sure of their track record. I believe they did 222 Glenwood.

From earlier in the thread:

I did see one of their new brochures which mentioned that studios would start in the $160s, 1BRs in the $180s and 2BRs in the $200s.

We'll see if they can hold the price points.

From todays N&O:

Trammell Crow Residential and York Ventures paid Bradshaw Parking $4.2 million for a 1.73-acre parking lot at the northwest corner of Hargett and Dawson streets. The developers are using the lot to build Hue, a mix of 208 condominiums, 7,300 square feet of shops and a six-story, 300-space parking deck. Construction on the project is expected to wrap up in 2009.

The last month has representated a flurry of activity and good news for this project. It looks like everything is a go for downtown's largest condo project. :)

^^

Maybe so, but not necessarily...the demolition contractor for the building probably also has taking up the asphalt within his scope of work...they may pull up the asphalt, throw down some grass seed and sediment fences, and sit on this project for six months....I thought the structure itself was still in the permitting/approval process?

What is the history of this site? Is it a former gas station site (underground storage tanks)?? Weren't there several large hotels along Dawson in this vicinity in late 1800s/early 1900s?

^^

Maybe so, but not necessarily...the demolition contractor for the building probably also has taking up the asphalt within his scope of work...they may pull up the asphalt, throw down some grass seed and sediment fences, and sit on this project for six months....I thought the structure itself was still in the permitting/approval process?

What is the history of this site? Is it a former gas station site (underground storage tanks)?? Weren't there several large hotels along Dawson in this vicinity in late 1800s/early 1900s?

The Carolina sat where city hall is now.....have to consult Sanborn on the Hue site though....

ok...Sanborn maps from 1896, 1909 and 1949....looks to have always been simple residential use so shouldn't be any clean-up issues. ....well, trying to upload Sanborn .pdfs but they won't take....will try again later....apparently netscape won't utilize the 'upload' button...used IE fyi to all.

1896_Hue_area.pdf

1909_Hue_Area.pdf

1950_Hue_Area.pdf

Which map does the Carolina appear on? It looks like houses at the corner of Hargett and Dawson in the 1896 map...what is the structure on the enormous lot where the police department is now?

The Carolina is not on any of these....it would be accross Dawson...will try to get it...it was built in the late 1920's around when the Sir Walter was. The "D" on a structure indicates Domestic structure i.e. a house. The number in the upper left indicates the of stories for that portion of a structure. The big lot you mentioned looks like just a large in-town house with lots of dependencies. I am not sure who owned it but its about where the Salisbury St Subway is now. Those commercial buildngs look to have been built in the teens and twenties so this house was to come down soon, but probably existed along time before this Sanborn map.....older houses from the begining of Raleigh had alot of dependencies for self sufficiency because local commerce took some time to build up and provide specializations like cloth makers, butter makers, whatever.

Sorry to stray off topic Jojo and Orulz. Feel free to move these last couple posts if need be.

Hotel Carolina.....pretty sure from 1949 as Union bus station is on the block too. For clarity, Hotel Carolina at 9 stories tall sat where City Hall and its fountain now sit and Union Bus Station was where the City parking deck is now. Its in the botton left of the .pdf. Union Train Station still stands minus its huge cupola next the Fire Station 1 (not on this map) fyi. Also just noticed that the Democratic party HQ was labeled as a rooming house then....downtown back then....ugh...

1949_Hotel_Carolina.pdf

where do you get these Sanborn maps? Is there an online source?

Back on the main subject of this thread, it appeared this morning that after removing structure, trees, and the concrete parking spot bars, the company has demobilized from the site without removing the asphalt.

I guess this means construction won't proceed quite immediately, since leaving dirt exposed gets you hit with a sedimentation control violation if it rains, so if it is going to be awhile, I guess you want to leave the paving in place. Good old impervious surfaces...

Back on the main subject of this thread, it appeared this morning that after removing structure, trees, and the concrete parking spot bars, the company has demobilized from the site without removing the asphalt.

I guess this means construction won't proceed quite immediately, since leaving dirt exposed gets you hit with a sedimentation control violation if it rains, so if it is going to be awhile, I guess you want to leave the paving in place. Good old impervious surfaces...

Sanborn maps have their own website, but I get there via the Wake County Library website. Its located among the electronic databases.

You have to have a library card, and to access them you enter your card number and a four digit password. It took me less than 5 minutes at the Cameron Village Branch.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess they were just taking a break. The asphalt has been removed and site grading is proceeding. I have not spotted a crane yet.

I guess they were just taking a break. The asphalt has been removed and site grading is proceeding. I have not spotted a crane yet.

They don't have final permits yet, but from the look of their updated website, Hue is moving forward quickly. It may not be a tremendous departure from the architecture we've seen, but it's got a fantastic location, good pricing, and a nice urban design (street retail + rear deck).

Hue_OFF_04.jpg

Hue_OFF_05.jpg

Gallery_3_04.jpg

I like the color scheme as well. Its bright and has an energy around it that is something much needed in downtown. We are always looking for buildings that are not just "more of the same," well, this is one of those that isn't more of the same.

Yeah, I like the facct its different though I probably would not go for one myself.....but floorplans, window arrangements are more important than exterior looks....so TRC is getting along fast with 222 and just as fast following up with Hue....are they good for one new condo building after another for as long as downtown will absorb more? I am already anticipating where their next project will be....they have proven they like doing business in downtown Raleigh and that they can build a place fast....you figure Hamilton Merrit is going to keep building as long as there is market as well and the Reynolds too....

Archived