Hue

reed

I must just be blind to differences in new stuff. I am very critical of historic rehabs (Busy Bee e.g., nothing at all historic about that job even though NewRaleigh's blurb quoted their attention to those facets), but the differences between contemporary, modern, and traditional in new interiors are starting to blur together for me. I see bright colors that jolt my senses in Hue and Marriott, as opposed to soothing them. The Marriott wood panels seem out of place to me...were they aiming for Bloomsbury Estates elegance or Dawson style contemporary or what.....I am kind of ambivalent towards both, but am fine with their presence downtown overall. Not that it matters, but Industrial + Retro (50'sish) + Historic (turn of century) = is what I like best.....The tobacco warehouse upfits in Durham hit that line nicely and Raleigh...even at the mills, sort of lack that...our mills went contemporary or ultra modern. One way or another I hope Hue gets some people living in it....

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it seems to look better from the inside than it does on the outside. Where are interior designers when you need them?

Funny you say that...I noticed Cline closed up their Interiors space on Hillsborough Street...probably didn't close the whole operation but they fit entirely in their primary space again anyway...

• 3 weeks later...

Now that the Hue's exterior is mostly done, they've opened back up all the sidewalks and street areas.

However, now the whole part of Hargett in front of the building, is now "No Parking". (Correct me if I'm wrong, but it used to not be.) What's up with that...certainly won't help business for the retail spots there.

Now that the Hue's exterior is mostly done, they've opened back up all the sidewalks and street areas.

However, now the whole part of Hargett in front of the building, is now "No Parking". (Correct me if I'm wrong, but it used to not be.) What's up with that...certainly won't help business for the retail spots there.

Assuming you are referring to the south side, the previous spot was a parking lot. The south side had no street parking, but had the entrances into the parking lot. Unless you are referring to the opposite side of Hargett next to Park Devereux - that did have 3 spots.

In any case, I don't understand why on-street parking would be restricted on the Hue side of Hargett St. The retail establishments will demand some amount of parking in that area, and there appears to be enough space for a 7' parking lane and a WB travel lane.

Are there not going to be any public parking spaces in the deck for Hue? If not, then I think there should definitely be on street parking in front. I would think that they would have made some of the spaces in the deck available for public use seeing as how there is a lot of retail space in that building. Speaking of the retail space..I hope it doesn't end up like the space in West. I know that West is kinda seperated from the rest of Glenwood South, and Hue is right in the mix of the Warehouse District. But there is space still in the Dawson that has never been filled.

No mention of the deck spaces here. I was merely speaking about the on-street spaces, and that I can't see any reason why parking should not be allowed. It's very likely that some spaces (likely 1st level) in the Hue deck will be reserved for retail customers, similar to those in the 222 deck.

Are there not going to be any public parking spaces in the deck for Hue?

Given that parking decks come at the cost of about $50,000 per space, I kind of doubt the developer went for that kind of generosity, especially with a city deck right across the street.

• 3 weeks later...

Normally I would rather be involved in a fiery car crash than see The Hue out of the corner of my eye as I drive down Dawson Street. I can no longer harbor these negative feelings. Today I promised my soul I would make peace with The Hue. So on my way home, I actually pulled over, took a photo, and in a very soft voice welcomed the building to our city.

hue2.th.jpg

Normally I would rather be involved in a fiery car crash than see The Hue out of the corner of my eye as I drive down Dawson Street. I can no longer harbor these negative feelings. Today I promised my soul I would make peace with The Hue. So today on my way home, I actually pulled over, took a photo, and in a very soft voice welcomed the building to our city.

hue2.th.jpg

I know exactly how your feel. I'm still trying to make peace with it being next to my bldg. Not sure if I could ever accept those colors.

In twenty years it will feel just as dated as the Garland Jones building did just before it got the sweet release of demolition.

Garland Jones looked better before it was demolished than this does now, and I don't see the 'best buy' color theme becoming a popular retro taste in 20 years.

Agreed. The building upsets my stomach as it sits now... but if I was on the ocean surrounded by palm trees, I would probably choose a building like this over something more classy looking like say... Park Devereux. What upsets me more is how this will hurt the bigger picture. This gives Raleigh the kind of set back for contemporary architecture that the "antenna thing" on Capital Blvd did for public art. There will be missed opportunities to do more fitting contemporary architecture because of The Hue.

Agreed. The building upsets my stomach as it sits now... but if I was on the ocean surrounded by palm trees, I would probably choose a building like this over something more classy looking like say... Park Devereux. What upsets me more is how this will hurt the bigger picture. This gives Raleigh the kind of set back for contemporary architecture that the "antenna thing" on Capital Blvd did for public art. There will be missed opportunities to do more fitting contemporary architecture because of The Hue.

It's clear that this building was designed by someone with a very active and animated imagination, and as always, Raleigh just rubber-stamped the design. I'm sure that some who previously approved this are wishing that they would have reconsidered. It doesn't blend in with the surroundings at all.

^ Maybe, but then again if we wanted everything to blend together with everything else, we'd have Stepford...er, I mean Cary. :lol:

I'm not saying I'm crazy about Hue, but I'm not gonna stress over it. At least Raleigh can embrace diverse styles between Hue, Bloomsbury and the everything in between, and not dictate taste. If we were all about not offending anyone and stuck on monotony, this would make a dull downtown....it'd just be another white-bread suburb, but with tall buildings.

I think there's a HUgE (:silly:) opening for a developer to introduce a product that is much more compelling from a design perspective. I would love for the city to pursue Dan Douglas' idea for a design competition for the future city sites 2 & 3 at the end of Fayetteville St for example, to push the envelope beyond the JDavis McCondo school of design.

For one example, check out this condo from the SoMa neighborhood in the Bay Area, and there are plenty of other examples to be found.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have heard word on at least one retail spot on the ground floor. White Rabbit (the LGBT book/music/gift shop) will move from Martin Street to Hue after the beginning of 2010. Presumably in the slot closest to Legends. Makes good business sense for them to be there closer to Legends, CC and Borough. (Especially since Stuff Consignment is closed, retail on their block of Martin is kinda stagnant.)

And this time it's not just a rumor...they're handing out printed fliers at the current store indicating this.

• 1 month later...

Archived