CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Kroc Center

RestedTraveler

I'm very excited to see this project begin construction! The community center will really work wonders for the Westside and other areas near downtown. I'd like to see some mildly competitive sports become a regular among a widely diverse crowd of Greenville residents. :)

I do not know of any General Contractor as of yet. You may hear something before I do, though, so please be sure to inform the rest of us. :thumbsup:

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had always assumed that the Kroc Center would be build on all the land off of S Academy st but according to the county web site the present land owned by the salvation army ends at Westfield street.

So there is still a huge site (7 Acres?) availably on S Academy street.

I Great place for another Mcbee station type development? :thumbsup:

I had always assumed that the Kroc Center would be build on all the land off of S Academy st but according to the county web site the present land owned by the salvation army ends at Westfield street.

So there is still a huge site (7 Acres?) availably on S Academy street.

I Great place for another Mcbee station type development? :thumbsup:

Last I heard that property was under contract but was having trouble getting approval for their palns due to flooding issues. At one time, and I do not know if this is the party involved now, Lennar had planned Townhomes for the site.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Last I heard that property was under contract but was having trouble getting approval for their palns due to flooding issues. At one time, and I do not know if this is the party involved now, Lennar had planned Townhomes for the site.

Anyone know why this is flood prone? Is it because of the Reedy? I would think this land (especially at this size) would be almost priceless. Couldn't some of the dirt from McBee and other develpments be brought in? I would think this area would be PERFECT for some extremely high dense Apartment/condo/townhome/house developments. Imagine Apts and codos in 6 to 12 story buildings, with houses and townhomes mixed in with some new restaurants. I would imagine tons of people would want to live near this Croc Center, escecially if it is affordable or has a wide range of pricing. It would also be a good opportunity to experiement with some new european achitecture...

Thoughts???

Wish this would start!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw that site plan on WYFF earlier tonight and it looked really nice. Very similar in size to the one in San Diego. The glass tower looking thing was in the middle of the center with the junior golf course next to the Reedy River and rails-to-trails. The tennis courts looked to be between the junior golf course and Westfield St. The buildings for the pool, childcare center, theater, chapel, administrative offices, etc. seemed to be next to Academy and in other parts of the center too. The center is also going to include a water park, an outdoor artificial turf field (not sure where this was on the site plan), an education center, skate park, conference/fellowship hall space, Boys and Girls Club, and other things too. Here is basically a list of everything that will be located at the Greenville Kroc Center: http://www.kroccenter.org/about.map.html

• 2 months later...

Archived