CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Kroc Center

RestedTraveler

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where did the name Mayberry come from for this park? Even if it is just a temporary name... why?

Maybe it could have something to do with the fact that one of the main roads that go through the area is Mayberry Street and has been there for a long time.

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=firefox...&iwloc=addr

Because it conjures up images of Andy Griffith, Barney Fife, Gomer Pyle, etc. and small town life in the 1960s. That doesn't fit in downtown Greenville (which is neither small nor stuck in the 1960s).

Maybe it could have something to do with the fact that one of the main roads that go through the area is Mayberry Street and has been there for a long time.

So the park should have another name, even though that is the name of the street that runs by it?

Thanks for the insight. Until now, it's been anyone's guess what it was named for, at least for me and everyone that I've talked to...

I didn't know that a park had to be named after the street that it's on. :rolleyes:

Would you prefer that Falls Park be called Main Park? :lol:

We like to name things after streets and towns in the South, rather than geography, I guess (see Manassas vs. Bull Run). ;)

I guess I was just a little surprised at the touchiness about the name Mayberry, and the immediate leap that it had something to do with a 45 year old TV show.

Let's hope it's not Mayberry Park. That would be awful. <_<

There's a thread around here somewhere from a few years back dedicated to discussing this very park. The name "Mayberry Park" was thrown around as was "Cleveland Park West." Why not name the park after someone like Max Heller or ... even Knox White? Just a thought. :rolleyes:

We like to name things after streets and towns in the South, rather than geography, I guess (see Manassas vs. Bull Run). ;)

I guess I was just a little surprised at the touchiness about the name Mayberry, and the immediate leap that it had something to do with a 45 year old TV show.

I knew that Greenville wouldn't name the park after the Andy Griffith Show, but I do believe that would be the first image that would pop into people's heads when they heard "Mayberry Park." That just isn't a positive image for a lot of people, at least not to me.

You're right. Charming, friendly and safe are definitely not positive images.

I believe Greenville would rather pose a progressive image. Not that charming, friendly, and safe are bad, but that's not all the Andy Griffith show is about. Small town, slow, little progress, etc also comes to mind. See how that interferes with progressive and growth?

I believe Greenville would rather pose a progressive image. Not that charming, friendly, and safe are bad, but that's not all the Andy Griffith show is about. Small town, slow, little progress, etc also comes to mind. See how that interferes with progressive and growth?

This is a park we are talking about not a university or research center. I like the name Mayberry and I like that it's boosting the name of the street that runs through that area. If I had something like a Star Trek Holodeck program one of the things I would love it do would to replicate Mayberry, NC. Yes, their was some "hick" elements to the Andy Griffith Show like Otis, The Darling Family and Ernest T. Bass but Andy himself was what a lot of people would consider to be extremely progressive in terms of his peace keeping methods. Yes, he wore a uniform, sung bluegrass and talked with a down home twang but his character was more 21st century than people give credit for.

One reason I chose to live in Greenville is because it has a more Mayberry feel even as large as it is. It's not a Charlotte or Atlanta and that's fine with me. That's not saying I don't like Charlotte or Atlanta but when I visit those places and then come back home it's quite comforting.

To each their own. I don't think anyone means to offend anyone else with the park's name. We have no idea what it will be called. I for one, simply cast my vote for it being called something other than Mayberry. I had no idea so many people would take this so personally. It will be a great public asset once it's built, regardless of the name.

What does a name of a proposed park have to do with the Kroc Center? :blink::dontknow: Oh and the same people complaining about the name of this proposed park are the same ones upset with Heidi Aiken over the sign dispute. :wacko:

Count me as someone who thinks "Mayberry Park" is a hokey name and Heidi Aiken should shut up. I am proud to be in both camps, thanks.

What does a name of a proposed park have to do with the Kroc Center? :blink::dontknow: Oh and the same people complaining about the name of this proposed park are the same ones upset with Heidi Aiken over the sign dispute. :wacko:

I think it's because the new park is adjacent to / surrounding the Kroc Center. And who the heck is Heidi Aiken? What sign dispute? Did I miss something?

And who the heck is Heidi Aiken? What sign dispute? Did I miss something?

She is the radio 'personality' from B93.7's morning show "Hawk n' Tom". She's a self-proclaimed activist. She was a big force behind the 'save the grass' campaign at Piazza Bergamo several years ago. More recently, she personally filed a complaint/appeal with the DPC about the Rising Roll's sign on North Main Street after original sign approval and installation. She enjoys to pick her battles and wage war.

I think that can be a good thing for people to do for a community when warranted, but I personally don't care for her particular stances that I've seen. :rolleyes:

She is the radio 'personality' from B93.7's morning show "Hawk n' Tom". She's a self-proclaimed activist. She was a big force behind the 'save the grass' campaign at Piazza Bergamo several years ago. More recently, she personally filed a complaint/appeal with the DPC about the Rising Roll's sign on North Main Street after original sign approval and installation. She enjoys to pick her battles and wage war.

I think that can be a good thing for people to do for a community when warranted, but I personally don't care for her particular stances that I've seen. :rolleyes:

I might add, the battles she typically picks tend to be selfishly chosen. Instead of being an activist for community good, she is typically an activist only if the issue upsets her personal apple cart.

I might add, the battles she typically picks tend to be selfishly chosen. Instead of being an activist for community good, she is typically an activist only if the issue upsets her personal apple cart.

Thanks! I think I know the type ... taking advantage of a platform for their own agenda instead of for the greater good. There are plenty of them out there in the world. I never listen to B93.7 and cannot tolerate the Hawk n' Tom show or any other show of its kind on any station.

So...back to the Kroc Center - has construction begun in earnest? I may try to get out there and take some photos the next time I'm in town.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived