Renaissance Tower Development in Fayetteville

Mith242

Who knows?

It could be plumbing problems, electric problems, leveling problems, soil density problems, enviromental problems, rising cost of materials, shortage of supplies, etc.

I guess I wish I would hear more about what's causing the delays. But anyway I know I'm not the only one disappointed with the slow progress.

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The same developers of the Renaissance Tower are trying to buy the 15 story Radisson Hotel. They have made an offer and are going through inspections currently. If the deal goes through they will be remodeling the interior and exterior of the building. They are hoping to bring more convention center business to the downtown area.

The hotel was built in the early 80s so it could really use some updating. EJ Ball Plaza will also be getting a complete makeover sometime later this year. If we could just get someone to makeover Hillcrest towers!

The same developers of the Renaissance Tower are trying to buy the 15 story Radisson Hotel. They have made an offer and are going through inspections currently. If the deal goes through they will be remodeling the interior and exterior of the building. They are hoping to bring more convention center business to the downtown area.

The hotel was built in the early 80s so it could really use some updating. EJ Ball Plaza will also be getting a complete makeover sometime later this year. If we could just get someone to makeover Hillcrest towers!

If they do buy the Radisson, hey at least it's already built. :lol: As far as developer's time goes, you have a point. But I think the city should hold them to this 45 days. They gave the city the impression long ago that the ball would have already been moving at this point. When did they demolish the old Mountain Inn? But anyway back to the Radisson, yeah it could use a remodel. I hadn't heard about any complete makeover for the EJ Ball Plaza Building. From what I had heard I didn't think they'd be doing any major changes. Aside from the possible restaurant I thought the only other exterior changes would be new glass. Have you heard something I haven't?

So what do you guys think about a possible buyout of the Radisson? One thing I haven't seen is if it will have any affects on it remaining a Radisson in the future. They did mention that this wouldn't be another renaissance. That they wanted to cater this to a different market. Aside from a remodel there might not be any other differences for all I know.

So what do you guys think about a possible buyout of the Radisson? One thing I haven't seen is if it will have any affects on it remaining a Radisson in the future. They did mention that this wouldn't be another renaissance. That they wanted to cater this to a different market. Aside from a remodel there might not be any other differences for all I know.

I think the buyout of the Radisson is a great move. The hotel is looking a little older and needs some work done. I wish they would get some other hotel chain besides the Radisson, its not a terrible hotel brand, but just not a great brand like they could get. Personally when I look at hotels, I don't normally look for Radisson's, I don't think there are a whole lot of them.

I think the buyout of the Radisson is a great move. The hotel is looking a little older and needs some work done. I wish they would get some other hotel chain besides the Radisson, its not a terrible hotel brand, but just not a great brand like they could get. Personally when I look at hotels, I don't normally look for Radisson's, I don't think there are a whole lot of them.

I guess I never thought negatively of Radisson but yeah there aren't many of them in this area. I do think they are heavier elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I talked to one of the guys at CDI Contractors today for quite a while about this. He said that basically the problem boils down to too many people being involved in the direct day-to-day planning of this project. More or less, everything was going perfectly until they decided to go with Marriott, who in turn wanted all sorts of minor changes in the structure and style of the building. As of right now the PLANS for the building aren't even final, they are still having conference calls with all involved parties trying to compromise on everything. Also, the purchasing of the Radisson has really kind of screwed over the process because the developers are busy with so many projects already and are a bit "too hands on" (his quote, not mine) in the Renaissance project for things to happen without their immediate approval.

So, the unofficial word is that this project is still a long way from starting, regardless of what is publicly said...

Yeah that sucks. I think at least some city officials are wishing they had decided on different developers at this point. I'm sure it will be great when it's all said and done. But I really don't think anyone expected things to be on hold for so long. I got the impression some city officials were already frustrated that construction hadn't started and this was a few months ago. Even though the Radisson buyout is supposed to be for a different style of hotel this seems to be having a big effect on the Renaissance. While it would be nice to see it remodeled I almost just wish they'd just focus on the Renaissance for now.

Yeah that sucks. I think at least some city officials are wishing they had decided on different developers at this point. I'm sure it will be great when it's all said and done. But I really don't think anyone expected things to be on hold for so long. I got the impression some city officials were already frustrated that construction hadn't started and this was a few months ago. Even though the Radisson buyout is supposed to be for a different style of hotel this seems to be having a big effect on the Renaissance. While it would be nice to see it remodeled I almost just wish they'd just focus on the Renaissance for now.

Guys--my understanding of the delay is it all stems from Marriott. They wanted the building to be two stories higher and that necessitated different foundation design. Major change. As far as the Raddison goes, I had heard through the grapevine that was going to be sold to Barber Group, not John Nock, et al, though Nock supposedly won the original bid. I heard that he/they couldn't get their financing lined up. I also heard if they did get the Radisson, it would probably be condo-ized with fractional ownership and a hotel management firm to rent out the units if the owners wanted to.

Don't count on me as the gospel here but I do have my sources of information.

Guys--my understanding of the delay is it all stems from Marriott. They wanted the building to be two stories higher and that necessitated different foundation design. Major change. As far as the Raddison goes, I had heard through the grapevine that was going to be sold to Barber Group, not John Nock, et al, though Nock supposedly won the original bid. I heard that he/they couldn't get their financing lined up. I also heard if they did get the Radisson, it would probably be condo-ized with fractional ownership and a hotel management firm to rent out the units if the owners wanted to.

Good, I would rather them take their time and do this right then hurry it along just to please the people eager to see something in replace of the Mountain Inn.

AMA and Nock are very good developers. Everything they have done has been very well done so far and I expect nothing less on this project. The Mountain Inn revitilization has been going on since '99, a few months really isn't that long to wait.

Good, I would rather them take their time and do this right then hurry it along just to please the people eager to see something in replace of the Mountain Inn.

AMA and Nock are very good developers. Everything they have done has been very well done so far and I expect nothing less on this project. The Mountain Inn revitilization has been going on since '99, a few months really isn't that long to wait.

I agree that Nock and AMA are good. They do quality projects that enhance our city and are not just all about the money.

I agree that Nock and AMA are good. They do quality projects that enhance our city and are not just all about the money.

I can't say they haven't done good work in the past. But I still question why they seem to keep putting out info that construction will start soon. If they knew all these problems had stemmed from changes from Marriot, just seems they would have made a more realistic schedule for construction. But yes I would rather this done right than rushed through. I'm just frustrated because I'm really looking forward to this project and it's still waiting to really get going. Now that I think about it I think it was news of this that started getting me to pay more attention to development news.

I do like the Barber Group. Their plans sounds a bit different but I've heard of similar plans. I suppose if we're going to have a Renaissance then the Radisson might drop down anyway. But it will seem a little odd to eventually be back down to one large branded hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like some more digging has been taking place on the site in recent days. When driving by earlier today I noticed some decent activity going on. I hope this means that work is finally starting on this project. I think back to the first time I heard of this project and realized that I was living in Norman, OK and it was early 2004! Here we are over 2 years later and it may be finally actually starting.

It looks like some more digging has been taking place on the site in recent days. When driving by earlier today I noticed some decent activity going on. I hope this means that work is finally starting on this project. I think back to the first time I heard of this project and realized that I was living in Norman, OK and it was early 2004! Here we are over 2 years later and it may be finally actually starting.

Yeah I know it seems like it's been a really long time. I plan on checking it out this weekend when I'm checking out the Fayetteville Arts Fesitval again.

• 2 weeks later...

CellarDoor135....regarding John Nock and AMA, he only hooked up with those guys in the last few years. He has not been involved with a finished project of theirs yet, although the condos at B of A are just about done. All those past projects on the AMA website from the last ten years or so (Campbell Bell, UARK Bowl, Carnall Hall, etc. etc.) were done without any involvement at all by Nock.

He came onto the scene when he was trying to get the financing for that lady out of Cleveland who bought the Mountain Inn, and wanted to build a Crowne Plaza back in 2000-2001 if I remember right. His and AMA

Welcome to the group Ron or Ronin... I imagine it is Ron In NWA, but it could also be Ronin NWA... I thought the later when I first read your name and this comment, but now I am thinking the former...

You'll have to enlighten us =)

Thanks. It's Ron. I'm a longtime Fay native, although I 've lived in Spr. Somebody rapped my knuckles on another thread as I was a little negative last night. I mentioned most of the following to them:

I reread my posts from last night and realized there was a bit more of grumpy old man in them than what I

Thanks. It's Ron. I'm a longtime Fay native, although I 've lived in Spr. Somebody rapped my knuckles on another thread as I was a little negative last night. I mentioned most of the following to them:

I reread my posts from last night and realized there was a bit more of grumpy old man in them than what I

Well I think many of us that have been on here have thought generally agreed on a number of the subjects we tend to discuss on here. I've often wondered if we've scared off some people because they were afraid to speak up and disagree with the rest of us. But I do think there's room here for people to discuss things and present opposing views. I certainly know there are many people here in Fayetteville who don't see things the same way I do. I may not agree with them but I don't have any problems with any of them posting. Just as long as things don't get out of hand. I know Fayetteville people can be rather passionate on their views of the city. :lol: Anyway back on the subject at hand. I think all this hype and such is becoming more common everywhere not just here. I think developers hype things up to get people on board. But yes there's been a number of developments talked about only to go nowhere. I also wonder if the media gets overanxious and makes a big deal about some of these when they were only possible ideas but never really mention that aspect.

Of all the Fayetteville and Springdale developers, Nock seems to be the one who blows the most hot air while having the fewest done deals. I checked the NWA Times archive and found a couple of articles. In May 2005 he led the owner of the Hoffbrau to believe that there were gonna be 300 construction workers building that hotel soon so they'll give her lots of business. That was 16 months ago!

http://www.nwanews.com/story.php?paper=nwa...p;storyid=28461

And here's the dirt will be turned in 45-60 days claim, made the first week of June 2006. We're now at 120 days.

http://www.nwanews.com/story.php?paper=nwa...p;storyid=41503

Does anybody know if theres any kind of deadline the city set for the developers to start? Is it in the contract that if building doesn't start by such and such a date then the developers must pay a fine for every day late, or maybe the city gets the land back and the contract is void? Anybody know? You'd think the City would put something like that in to cover their behinds. They have to feel right now they are getting made fools of.

Archived