Legacy Building in Fayetteville

Mith242

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must say I am disappointed by how this building is turning out. I don't mind the location or the footprint of it but the claddin is very ugly. Looks like it was sucked out of suburban Dallas and dropped off behind Common Grounds. The exterior finishes are all wrong for this area.

I admit it doesn't look quite as nice as I thought it did in the renderings. I also though they were going to be using different materials. But I guess it doesn't bother me as much as it does some of you. I certainly do agree on the Walton Arts Center. I'm certainly happy to have it here but personally I really don't like the building. I don't think it fits in either and it just doesn't do anything for me. Guess it's just not my style.

I have a feeling that this area of fayetteville will end up looking a little like DC, with all of the strict mid rise building codes, which is fine with me, but i want to see a couple 20 and 30 story buildings in downtown. And BTW some body needs to do something with Hillcrest Towers, every time I drive by i think of a realy bad spot in lower brooklyn.

I have a feeling that this area of fayetteville will end up looking a little like DC, with all of the strict mid rise building codes, which is fine with me, but i want to see a couple 20 and 30 story buildings in downtown. And BTW some body needs to do something with Hillcrest Towers, every time I drive by i think of a realy bad spot in lower brooklyn.

im pretty sure that most of the housing between center street and dickson from college to the new parking deck will all be mixed use with some more mid rise condos and some possible high rises closer to downtown, i agree, a museum would be a great anchor right there, or maybe even an aquarium, sometimes i wish i could see that part of fayetteville in 10 years, but then it ruins the surprise.

Yeah I admit from the renderings I was expecting a stone exterior. I certainly would have liked to see something more in line with that. But I guess I'm not as disappointed as you are either. I guess I'll have to wait and see but I think in some ways it could possibly match the Hoghaus Brewery near it. For some reason it makes me think of it with the way the exterior is looking at the moment.

im pretty sure that most of the housing between center street and dickson from college to the new parking deck will all be mixed use with some more mid rise condos and some possible high rises closer to downtown, i agree, a museum would be a great anchor right there, or maybe even an aquarium, sometimes i wish i could see that part of fayetteville in 10 years, but then it ruins the surprise.

I don't know, the style and look of it just never has done anything for me. It doesn't really fit in but I won't complain about that too much because to be honest when it was built there wasn't a whole lot going on around Dickson. I don't know if anyone would have thought it would turn out like it has today. But for a building that's set back standing out for attention I just think it should have been a little bit nicely designed building. Just my opinion. But like I said earlier, I'm not saying it doesn't perform it's function well. I just don't like the design of it.

Better be careful what you wish for or Dickson Street may end up looking like another Pinnacle Hills in Rogers.

As above, Dickson Street may end up looking more like Pinnacle Hills. I don't agree about the WAC. It's actually a nice building for an arts center and I've seen much worse in bigger cities.

Many of those old buildings will become obsolete when they're next door to a bright shining new modern building. The owners will easily give up their sentimental reasons for keeping an old building for the greenbacks that is behind the growth in NWA. At the rate Dickson Street is growing I say at least half of the old buildings will be gone in 10 years.

I highly doubt this. If anything, developers will add onto the historical buildings to preserve them. Besides, the condo boom is dying all across America, I'm even starting to wonder if all the projects proposed for Dickson St. will be built. Think about all the controversy over Divinity, and think about what would happen if a developer said he wanted to boldoze Dickson St.? There will be tremendous opposition to the destroying of the historical buildings.

I don't know if I'd say the buildings will be obsolete when sitting next to the more modern buildings. I think it's more a question of Dickson is a hot spot and people are looking for any spaces they can get to redevelop. Overall most spaces were empty lots that were for example old gas stations and such or some rather rundown buildings that weren't being used for much. But I've wondered if the success of Dickson might end up being too much of a good thing and developers start going after the rest of the buildings. I always thought the small buildings east of Hoghaus were interesting. It looks a lot like the downtowns of the old mining towns out west like in Colorado.

The city of Fayetteville has reestablished the Historic District Commission and is working with the state preservation organization to establish 2 or more commercial historic districts within the 350 acres that is considered downtown Fayetteville. It will take some time (6-18 months) but the work has begun to formalize the historic areas (1-district defined and recognized by the National Register) and then hopefully protect some of the older buildings (2-establish some design guidelines.) You can probably expect one district to be identified at a time so it will be ongoing process.

This will take some time to set up but a movement has started to retain and reuse the historic buildings on Dickson and around the downtown area. Hopefully this will happen fast enough before anyone razes more of the old buildings or too many infill projects aren

The city of Fayetteville has reestablished the Historic District Commission and is working with the state preservation organization to establish 2 or more commercial historic districts within the 350 acres that is considered downtown Fayetteville. It will take some time (6-18 months) but the work has begun to formalize the historic areas (1-district defined and recognized by the National Register) and then hopefully protect some of the older buildings (2-establish some design guidelines.) You can probably expect one district to be identified at a time so it will be ongoing process.

This will take some time to set up but a movement has started to retain and reuse the historic buildings on Dickson and around the downtown area. Hopefully this will happen fast enough before anyone razes more of the old buildings or too many infill projects aren

Hmmm...I could be wrong but I've been thinking it looks something like a thin layer of stucco. But it looks like they put lines and such in it. But I don't think it could be stone they way they're putting it up going all the way up on one side. Anyway looks like I got competition in the pics department. :lol:

Hmmm...I could be wrong but I've been thinking it looks something like a thin layer of stucco. But it looks like they put lines and such in it. But I don't think it could be stone they way they're putting it up going all the way up on one side. Anyway looks like I got competition in the pics department. :lol:

Archived