Legacy Building in Fayetteville

Mith242

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thats odd.

An old architect buddy of mine from out of state was visiting a few weeks back. First trip to Fayetteville...

I was walking them down Dickson from the U of A and he and his son both go (with no prompting from me) "What the hell is THAT??"

They were referring to The Legacy Building. Neither of them had much good to say.

Kind of neat to hear an out of towner perspective on the building and its impact on the Dickson St. context....

It's funny. I have said before that Legacy looks like a Tornado ripped it out of a north Dallas suburb like Plano and dropped it in the lot behind Common Grounds. Totally out of context. I don't think the size or shape is bad just the finishes and architectural details are horrible!

Personally, I like tall buildings. Better'n strip malls any day. That said, I dunno if a tall building done by a developer with bad taste (like Brandon Barber clearly has!) would be a good building. I like good buildings, not gaudy, flashy, cheap-ass stuff with bad logos.

I guess it all comes down to everyone's own opinion. The Three Sisters Development that so many of us on here seem to like so much has also been ripped by a number of architects for the same thing. Using architectural styles that don't fit in to the rest of Dickson St.

It's funny. I have said before that Legacy looks like a Tornado ripped it out of a north Dallas suburb like Plano and dropped it in the lot behind Common Grounds. Totally out of context. I don't think the size or shape is bad just the finishes and architectural details are horrible!

Personally, I like tall buildings. Better'n strip malls any day. That said, I dunno if a tall building done by a developer with bad taste (like Brandon Barber clearly has!) would be a good building. I like good buildings, not gaudy, flashy, cheap-ass stuff with bad logos.

Dallas takes a beating on this site. I've always thought the Uptown/Turtle Creek/Oaklawn area was very nice. Uptown is a great example of what a TIF district can do. It has beautiful buildings with lots of greenery and it's walkable. West Village and Shops at the Crescent are both nice retail/dining/entertainment centers. The Arts District is just south of it. It seems to me like that is what the Dover-Kohl plan is all about. Uptown would be a great urban template for this area, just on a smaller scale.

Dallas takes a beating on this site. I've always thought the Uptown/Turtle Creek/Oaklawn area was very nice. Uptown is a great example of what a TIF district can do. It has beautiful buildings with lots of greenery and it's walkable. West Village and Shops at the Crescent are both nice retail/dining/entertainment centers. The Arts District is just south of it. It seems to me like that is what the Dover-Kohl plan is all about. Uptown would be a great urban template for this area, just on a smaller scale.

since we're on the subject, i'll just say that i have a strong aversion to dallas, to say the least. i won't elaborate more because i'll probably spiral into a white-hot, hate-filled diatribe that, i'm sure, would break some rules of this forum. suffice it to say that the big d is not my bag, baby.

I guess since I helped get this way off topic.....looks like Legacy is about finished. Anyone know when people will start moving in? I've wondered how much soundproofing has been done? The patios around there put out a lot of sound that will drift straight up to those high dollar homes. It can't be a surprise to the new owners, wonder if they will complain anyway?

I guess since I helped get this way off topic.....looks like Legacy is about finished. Anyone know when people will start moving in? I've wondered how much soundproofing has been done? The patios around there put out a lot of sound that will drift straight up to those high dollar homes. It can't be a surprise to the new owners, wonder if they will complain anyway?

My aversion to Dallas is not one related to large metro areas in general. I lived there for three plus years before I lived in Boston for 17. The quality of life in Boston is so much better I don't know where to begin, even though Boston is very crowded, has tons of traffic problems, and is expensive. I have travelled all over the US--I used to fly 200K miles a year when I was the CEO of a management consulting and publishing firm-- and have been in just about every major city in the US. Dallas and Houston are two of the worst cities in the US if you like any kind of character or personality in your environment. That said, each has small enclaves that are really super nice and that wouldn't be bad to live in. Those enclaves are also really expensive.

This is the former Iris Arts gallery. I will miss them though this is a really great job of making a dog building look fantastic!

i've always wanted to visit and possibly live in boston for a while. it has such an important historical and intellectual significance for our country. plus, i think it's about as close to a european city as there is in the states. i like that. but i'm surprised that someone who has lived in boston so long can find little fayetteville, ar, a place they would want to call home. maybe you grew up here or have family here, or maybe you just plain love it here. i just think that for people who have relocated to nwa from larger metro areas it must be hell for the lack of culture and amenities. especially benton co. i only go up there if it's an absolute must (and i'm a humble arkansan). anyway. just my thoughts.

Every time I have been to Dallas it has reminded me of failed SimCity projects of years gone past. I have been to about 80% of the decent size cities on this side of the Rockies (only San Diego and Vegas on the other side...) and Dallas truly is about the worst. Dallas especially seems like a tiny city center surrounded by huge quantity of burb and 90% of the sprawl has no character at all. Any time some asks me what I think of Dallas, I tell them to imagine an intersection with a strip mall on one corner, an Applebee's (or Chili's, TGIF, etc...) at another, a gas station at another, and the final is some small office building. Now take that intersection and make a stamp out of it, now use that stamp to build a city, connect all the pieces with highways and call it a day.

I'll take Chicago, St Louis, NYC, Philly, or Boston any day of the week. Even Atlanta is better.

Fayetteville is a nice town, for a town its size.

I lived in a larger city before and its all about tradeoffs.

In Fayetteville, you get less traffic, crime, and a slower pace of living. There is enough cultural happening her to not get bored, especially if you get out and look.

I have a great butcher shop. I have a great coffee house. I have a few art galleries, and I have a reasonable equivalent of big time pro sports in the Razorbacks. I have several good little restaurants to keep me busy and interested.

I think the main thing I prefer in any larger city is the variety of restaurants, but Fayetteville has more than most people would expect.

Most people who live in larger cities don't take advantage of the cultural opportunities as often as you might think. Work, commute, stress, and just daily life keep getting in the way. I can take a couple of trips to a larger city per year and experience as much as the average resident does in a year's time because I make it a priority while I am there.

On the other hand, most people in big cities have to drive a few hours to find remote natural areas like we have just minutes away here in Washington County.

I think we've really got it good here in Fayetteville and I plan on staying here until I die. :tough:

Every time I have been to Dallas it has reminded me of failed SimCity projects of years gone past. I have been to about 80% of the decent size cities on this side of the Rockies (only San Diego and Vegas on the other side...) and Dallas truly is about the worst. Dallas especially seems like a tiny city center surrounded by huge quantity of burb and 90% of the sprawl has no character at all. Any time some asks me what I think of Dallas, I tell them to imagine an intersection with a strip mall on one corner, an Applebee's (or Chili's, TGIF, etc...) at another, a gas station at another, and the final is some small office building. Now take that intersection and make a stamp out of it, now use that stamp to build a city, connect all the pieces with highways and call it a day.

I'll take Chicago, St Louis, NYC, Philly, or Boston any day of the week. Even Atlanta is better.

Fayetteville is a nice town, for a town its size.

I lived in a larger city before and its all about tradeoffs.

In Fayetteville, you get less traffic, crime, and a slower pace of living. There is enough cultural happening her to not get bored, especially if you get out and look.

I have a great butcher shop. I have a great coffee house. I have a few art galleries, and I have a reasonable equivalent of big time pro sports in the Razorbacks. I have several good little restaurants to keep me busy and interested.

I think the main thing I prefer in any larger city is the variety of restaurants, but Fayetteville has more than most people would expect.

Most people who live in larger cities don't take advantage of the cultural opportunities as often as you might think. Work, commute, stress, and just daily life keep getting in the way. I can take a couple of trips to a larger city per year and experience as much as the average resident does in a year's time because I make it a priority while I am there.

On the other hand, most people in big cities have to drive a few hours to find remote natural areas like we have just minutes away here in Washington County.

I think we've really got it good here in Fayetteville and I plan on staying here until I die. :tough:

I agree that Fayetteville is the main city of Northwest Arkansas with attractions like the Square, Dickson Street, collegiate sports at the UA and the shopping destination of the Mall area. Fayetteville, being the most southerly city in Northwest Arkansas, is also a short drive to Devil's Den State Park. Not to mention the future Botanical Gardens of the Ozarks and possible Smithsonian affiliated museum.

But, what makes Fayetteville even more attractive is it's short drive to Benton County's many attractions such as Beaver Lake and Hobb's State Park, Pea Ridge Nat'l Military Park, an abundance of museums, Wild Wilderness Drive-Thru Safari, historic War Eagle Mill, public caverns, huge crafts festivals, the shopping destination of the Pinnacle Hills Promenade and the vacation destination of nearby historic Eureka Springs. Not to mention the future Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art and the Children's Museum of Northwest Arkansas in Bentonville, along with possible "professional" sports at the future Arena in Rogers.

So, clearly Fayetteville is a great place to live with so many great nearby attractions to keep one occupied. :thumbsup:

2) It is a much younger city than most of its peers. The DFW MSA is now the nation's 4th largest but at the beginning of the 20th century it had only 50,000 people. Dallas boomed in the 60s, 70s, and 80s and is booming again now and development in the age of the automobile was spread out and centered around shopping centers. The Park Cities and Lakewood/White Rock Lake are really neat neighborhoods but Dallas doesn't have much character compared to most older cities.

• 1 month later...

Legacy tours today; here's what I learned:

-approx half of the condos are reserved or sold

-one of the whitebox condos was a little less than $400/sqft (price list is avaible for all units)

-Theo's owners backed out of the Italian restaurant but just today they signed a former Bordino's chef to the restaurant

-Barber

Legacy tours today; here's what I learned:

-approx half of the condos are reserved or sold

-one of the whitebox condos was a little less than $400/sqft (price list is avaible for all units)

-Theo's owners backed out of the Italian restaurant but just today they signed a former Bordino's chef to the restaurant

-Barber

Archived