CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Pinnacle on Main

RestedTraveler

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think they will have as hard of a time with the crane for the POM because it wont be swinging over a bunch of residents like the peacock crane did at the bookends. I doubt the office workers will raise as much of a stink. It will probably give them something to look at while they work.

I dont think they will have as hard of a time with the crane for the POM because it wont be swinging over a bunch of residents like the peacock crane did at the bookends. I doubt the office workers will raise as much of a stink. It will probably give them something to look at while they work.

They will make room....they have too. Even if it means building a portion of it with a boom crane after they take the overhead crane down. The crane has a pretty small footprint. The peacock one is fit on the site pretty tight also. Do you guys think this will even get built. G-man said he was lying about the utility workers. He told us on ssc that they never had anything to do with the POM :angry:

Well, we're almost to page 50 in this thread... I don't even know what to think about this project anymore. I'd rather see the Gateway and Woolworth sites redeveloped first anyway if I had to chose. If Bob doesn't develop this project before the City gets something to happen at the corner of Main and Academy, then someone else would gladly come in and build on this land. The City must have big dreams for that site (It has to be an attraction to get people across Beattie Place) and get redevelopment to happen on those two blocks in between. People will be dying to get their hands on the Pinnacle property if it all materializes... Advice to Bob: start in 2008 or sell it!

Who knows. It is difficult to tell which parts of gmans information was/is factual, and which was/is not. I suppose one of us could try to email Mr. Ellis to see what we can find out, but I would guess he could be sick of answering questions. At this point it is difficult for me to expect this one to happen, but we have not yet heard this is dead, so there is still hope. And I really did see some sort of hard equipment parked on site yesterday, but again, it may not have had anything to do with POM. Seems odd to me if it didn't though.

Well, we're almost to page 50 in this thread... I don't even know what to think about this project anymore. I'd rather see the Gateway and Woolworth sites redeveloped first anyway if I had to chose. If Bob doesn't develop this project before the City gets something to happen at the corner of Main and Academy, then someone else would gladly come in and build on this land. The City must have big dreams for that site (It has to be an attraction to get people across Beattie Place) and get redevelopment to happen on those two blocks in between. People will be dying to get their hands on the Pinnacle property if it all materializes... Advice to Bob: start in 2008 or sell it!

Most of the drama has been disproportionately magnified and even somewhat "imaginary" because we have become impatient. Sure, it is difficult to feel confident after hearing a start date long ago, but what reason do we have to be so critical, considering we have no personal investment in this project other than a relatively small document's worth of repetitive discussion? Why can't we give the guy (and this thread) a break and wait for something to happen? If the building starts to go up then we will have something to be excited about. If not, then perhaps the site will be sold to another developer, just like other property has throughout town in this city's history. What is so extra special about this one project that we have to be on the edge of our seats literally everyday? I have let it rest and have given my support to the developers with the hope that it will eventually go up, yet knowing that it will take time and is ultimately indefinite until completed. :good:

What's wrong with exercising a little patience? :whistling:

Not at all. What good does all of this emotional anxiety accomplish when there is absolutely nothing any of us can do to make the project physically materialize when we want it to? It may or may not be built, so until we see actual construction on site, I am content to wait until the time is right. That is all the developers can do anyway, regardless of how much they want it to be started - and I am confident that they are far more eager to see the building go up than we will ever be, considering it means far more to them than just seeing another highrise in Greenville's skyline.

Going back and reading some of the posts shows why this has been so frustrating:

August 11 2005- Construction is rumored to be starting on the 15th, whether it be from a new source or via an email...

August 15 2005- Someone says the City makes the Pinnacle make a few minor changes pushing the project back 3 weeks...

How simple were the days when we just had to wait three weeks... BUT wait, we've been waiting three years! Sure we have no financial interest in this building, but I think we have plenty of room to be frustrated when we've been told through various media outlets that construction will begin within a certain time frame and it continually doesn't.

We seem to have an abundance of developers and land but a lack of interest or financing at the moment. Perhaps the developers should, instead of individually competinng on several different parcels of land for mutilple developements when we may only currently have demand for one, combine their efforts into one large parcel that has just recently finally been consolidated for demolition/development?

We have an entire city block at Main and Washington in the HEART of downtown that begs for development with no published plans or developers, while at the same time have multiple developers are dragging their feet on questionable developements outside of our (current) urban core.

I'd be fine with putting this thing to bed and moving on to higher profile developments that may have a higher impact on downtowon as well as a higher chance of completion within the next 3 years.

We seem to have an abundance of developers and land but a lack of interest or financing at the moment. Perhaps the developers should, instead of individually competinng on several different parcels of land for mutilple developements when we may only currently have demand for one, combine their efforts into one large parcel that has just recently finally been consolidated for demolition/development?

We have an entire city block at Main and Washington in the HEART of downtown that begs for development with no published plans or developers, while at the same time have multiple developers are dragging their feet on questionable developements outside of our (current) urban core.

I'd be fine with putting this thing to bed and moving on to higher profile developments that may have a higher impact on downtowon as well as a higher chance of completion within the next 3 years.

Where are these plans that you speak of!??! I have been dying to know how this will be redeveloped!! I had no idea that there were published plans for the redevelopment. Can someone re post them, I must have missed the post. How tall are the buildings? are there courtyards? is it mixed use? Brick, stucco, other? Who is the developer, estimated completion date, tenant list??

:silly:

Where are these plans that you speak of!??! I have been dying to know how this will be redeveloped!! I had no idea that there were published plans for the redevelopment. Can someone re post them, I must have missed the post. How tall are the buildings? are there courtyards? is it mixed use? Brick, stucco, other? Who is the developer, estimated completion date, tenant list??

:silly:

You haven't missed any renderings, but they are supposedly going to be available anytime between now and this summer. Redevelopment is definitely going to happen for this huge parcel of land - and soon! I am fairly confident TIC Properties is the developer. They said that it would be mixed use and include retail, office, and probably residential.

I have no idea about the building materials or the height of the buildings. I hope they make good use of that prime location! This kind of opportunity probably won't come along again in our lifetimes - if ever!

The rumor about Borders being one of the anchor tenants is only that, but some believe that it is a fairly strong rumor. They were supposedly going to be a part of Magnolia Park Town Center and recently pulled out, and some believe that is because they have decided to be part of the Main and Washington development downtown instead. Whether that is true or not remains to be seen. :dontknow:

The property is not owned by TIC Properties, but rather a separate development company owned by John Boyd. John Boyd was also the founder of TIC Properties. I saw a rendering of what he was thinking about putting on that spot last summer. It is definitely going to get built, but allocation of space to retail, residential and office was going through a comprehensive "highest and best use" study. You may recall that the last sliver of title necessary to own 100% was closed a couple months ago. From the rendering I saw, the building was to be about 6 stories with somewhat of a "U" shape (looking from above) with the open end toward the Bank of America parking lot. It appeared to be mostly brick and glass, not too different from Riverplace's look. In addition, it did have part of the front facing main street having a wall of glass bordered by upper levels of balconies. Keep in mind, however, that this was 9 months ago and the study could have dramatically changed it. I doubt, however, that you can expect anything over 6-8 floors. Any taller structures on the block would likely go on the current Bank of America site.

Welcome to the forum!

I sure hope what you saw has changed. I really feel like 6 stories across the site would be a wasteful use of the space. I'll welcome anything to the site, as it's very important to get this vital property redeveloped, but I find it disappointing.

Question: when you say "any taller structures would likely go on the BoA site", what do you mean? Were there not plans for that land? It seems to me that if that was NOT included in the plans that you saw, then it would likely have changed... It is a part of the development is it not?

I agree, thanks for the good information and welcome darw100. Maybe we can get a Ruth Chris or a Cheesecake Factory type restaurant to be included in the Borders/Barnes and Noble type tennant. As we lose some retail stores downtown, I hope that we continue to court "destination" tennants like Mast that draw people downtown.

Archived