Major Developments

Florida

Has anyone heard news of a retail/lifestyle center modeled on Destin Commons being planned for the I-10 Mahan (east) area? I hear rumors that I cannot substantiate related to DeVoe Moore and a developer working on some retail in the area.

I see the new Car Museum going up in this area, and I think the new center would be in close proximity to that from what I hear.

This sounds like it would be similar to the retail project proposed by St. Joe for SouthSide, but is there any way to find out if this is real or not?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds good to me, but when this proposed one opens and/or the one at Southside, Tally Mall or Gov. Square is gonna feel it in a very negative way. Hey serves them right for not updating their products as they should. I find both malls to be very drab and depressing from the inside. That's why I only go to them 3 or 4 times a year.

For this project I'd rather have Kearny in on it that Moore b/c just based on what I'v seen from them, Kearny is more capable of producing a better quality product IMHO. Besides Moore always seems from the newspaper to be as ornery as a hornet.

Sounds good to me, but when this proposed one opens and/or the one at Southside, Tally Mall or Gov. Square is gonna feel it in a very negative way. Hey serves them right for not updating their products as they should. I find both malls to be very drab and depressing from the inside. That's why I only go to them 3 or 4 times a year.

For this project I'd rather have Kearny in on it that Moore b/c just based on what I'v seen from them, Kearny is more capable of producing a better quality product IMHO. Besides Moore always seems from the newspaper to be as ornery as a hornet.

I disagree with his point about the lack of workforce. I know a lot of people at school that would love to stay here for work, but are planning to go elsewhere due the lack of decent earning potential. If businesses moved here lack of workforce would be a nonpoint.

• 2 weeks later...

Wal-Mart planning smaller store

By Bruce Ritchie

Staff writer

Wal-Mart is moving forward with plans for a 101,000-square foot store on North Monroe Street.

The Board of Adjustment and Appeals in August refused to grant the company's request for a store with more than 120,000 square feet. As a result of the vote, Wal-Mart will have to demolish the former Sam's Club, the YMCA and other surrounding commercial buildings to build stormwater ponds to treat runoff.

Some surrounding residents remain opposed though and say the ponds are not large enough to protect Lake Jackson. An opponent says a neighboring hydrogeologist contends that the ponds would have to be at least 10 times larger to provide the treatment required by Leon County regulations protecting Lake Jackson.

Wal-Mart's site plans eventually will go before the County Commission for approval

You are right TJ, this project has always been about NIMBYism IMHO. While I am definitely no fan of Wally-mart (I can count on my fingers the number of times in my life I've been in one of their stores) I was hoping that at this location Wally-mart would build one of their new stores : Neighborhood Market Stores which is what they often do when they are forced by communities to build smaller stores. I've never been in one of these type stores, has anyone here been in one of these??

You are right TJ, this project has always been about NIMBYism IMHO. While I am definitely no fan of Wally-mart (I can count on my fingers the number of times in my life I've been in one of their stores) I was hoping that at this location Wally-mart would build one of their new stores : Neighborhood Market Stores which is what they often do when they are forced by communities to build smaller stores. I've never been in one of these type stores, has anyone here been in one of these??

• 5 weeks later...

Archived