Tallahassee: Restaurants

Florida

FYI: Cripsers is owned by Publix for those that did not know this.

I've eaten at Crispers many times and I like them. They can be on the high side for soup, sandwiches and salads, but so can Quizno's. TJ and DaiDreamer5 my recommendation to you guys in the future would be that when you order a sandwich at any restaurant, ask them as you are ordering what type of bread the sandwich comes on. If it's not to your liking, 90% of the time the restaurant can and will change the type of bread to one that you like........and if they won't, I'd not eat there again.

As for Italian Pie, I like the food, but I have found the service to be slow slow slow. I have never had good service at the second I.P. on Monroe. It's slow there even when not busy, so I won't eat there anymore. The first one on Cap. Circle use to be good w/service but the last two times I went there they were very slow. As a matter of fact the last time we were there, the service was so slow that we walked out after waiting over 10 minutes just to be acknowledged we were there. I then wrote management a letter about our experience and got a quick and polite reply that apologized for what happened. I liked that. They really made no sorry excuses, they just said it was wrong. They also gave me two free meals, which I've not used yet, but need to very soon. So I do like them and the food and I hope the next time I go there, the service will be better.

Poonther, why don't you let those of us who haven't tried Italian Pie use your two free meals as Sample tickets?! :blush:

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FYI: Cripsers is owned by Publix for those that did not know this.

I've eaten at Crispers many times and I like them. They can be on the high side for soup, sandwiches and salads, but so can Quizno's. TJ and DaiDreamer5 my recommendation to you guys in the future would be that when you order a sandwich at any restaurant, ask them as you are ordering what type of bread the sandwich comes on. If it's not to your liking, 90% of the time the restaurant can and will change the type of bread to one that you like........and if they won't, I'd not eat there again.

As for Italian Pie, I like the food, but I have found the service to be slow slow slow. I have never had good service at the second I.P. on Monroe. It's slow there even when not busy, so I won't eat there anymore. The first one on Cap. Circle use to be good w/service but the last two times I went there they were very slow. As a matter of fact the last time we were there, the service was so slow that we walked out after waiting over 10 minutes just to be acknowledged we were there. I then wrote management a letter about our experience and got a quick and polite reply that apologized for what happened. I liked that. They really made no sorry excuses, they just said it was wrong. They also gave me two free meals, which I've not used yet, but need to very soon. So I do like them and the food and I hope the next time I go there, the service will be better.

Ironically I gave TJ the same advice a few pages earlier on this thread! :rofl:

I didn't ask about the bread because I simply assumed (not a good idea to assume) that it would be on french bread. :)

Italian Pie is Excellent! I LOVE IT. infact im going there tonight. yum Crispers I hate. I went there once, they specialize in freshness and salads and sandwiches but i got garbage. I ordered a turkey club, and I could have made a better one at my house. Not to mention way overpriced and slow to get the food.

Will never go back to crispers,

My wife and I regularly lunch at Higher Taste in the All Saints District. They serve a really delicious buffet, and while it is a bit pricy for lunch (@ $9.00 per) I must recommend it as just the kind of restaurant Urbanplanet should be encouraging through our patronage. This is the same business that sells quiches and salads and baked goods under a tent at the Saturday downtown marketplace.

With all of the construction going on at the Cloisters project (literally next door to the restaurant) this place is in real danger of being run out of business. Nearly all of the parking has been consumed by construction staging, and they are now left with a couple of curbside spots and the nearby meters.

I can accept that there are some businesses that will have to go as Gaines Street is improved and redeveloped, but a place as unique and high quality as Higher Taste should have a place at the new Tallahassee table. Let them know how much you appreciate their efforts at keeping the downtown lively. Have lunch there sometime.

I have enjoyed Crispers the four or fives time I have been. alittle pricey, but good.

I visited the Rancho Grande in Monticello over the weekend and I can highly recommend it to anyone. It's quite an adventure - two blocks northeast of the coutrhouse in a small shopping center, the place was jumping Friday night. Everything my family and I had was absolutely delicious - tacos, enchiladas, a California burrito with carnitas (instead of beef) and another dish very much like fajitas. I was too full to order dessert, but the cinnamon bunuelos and chimichanga platanos they delivered to the next table looked awesome. Service was hustling and very friendly. I'm definitely going back with some friends.

^Gosh you are making me hungry!!! Today in the bites in TDO they announced that there is a restaurant by the name of Elbows opening in Febuary. They will serve burgers, subs,wings and fish. Why they call it Elbows I don't know. Thought I just give you guys a headz up.

^Gosh you are making me hungry!!! Today in the bites in TDO they announced that there is a restaurant by the name of Elbows opening in Febuary. They will serve burgers, subs,wings and fish. Why they call it Elbows I don't know. Thought I just give you guys a headz up.

Elbows... is this the place moving into Baker's Place, across from FAMU on Adams? That little spot filled up quickly... I think I saw a clippers over there also.

Tallaman, that was an awesome review. I don't even like Mexican food that much, but I might have to get over there. You seemed so enthusiastic in your review!

I dont know if anyones talked about it, or been out there yet, but my girlfriend and I ate at Cabannas this past weekend. It was good. I would recommend it.

Go Gators,

Where is Cabannas and what do they serve? What did you have and how much did it cost?

Does anyone know what will be going into the location where the old Monroe Village in was? I saw that it was sold when we drove by this morning...

I don't know but didn't they put a Firehouse Subs nearby not long ago. I remember a mention of some restaurant movement in that area... I'll have to look this one up. I bet our girl Juana knows. Kinda wish ol' girl was a member so she could bring us up to speed on these things.

Yeah definitely good review there Tallaman. That would make a great evening out, taking U.S. 90 over to Monticello, eating at the Mexican place and checking out some of the stuff that Monticello-1827 has shown in pix here on UP.

Yep ole Juana is saying that Elbows will be moving into Baker's Place. If an instituition of Tally had to be demolished, it's good to see cool stuff going in where it use to be.

The old Village Inn location on North Monroe will become a Mexican restauarant according again to Juana over at the Democrat. It is said to be owned by people that already run a Mexican restaurant in the area.

As for Cabannas, it's off Kerry Forest across the street from the W-D shopping plaza there, but it is set off the road and kinda in an office park, but not hard to find.

We went there when they first opened. If I remember correctly, they serve just about everything from steak to chicken dishes to seafood and salads. I believe they try and do it w/a tropical flavor???? And the food was at a moderate price.

Go Gators how was the service when you went there? It was extremely slow when we went, but we went on the opening week right after the Democrat ran a favorable review of the place. I've been meaning to go back and give it another chance the next time I'm out that faaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Speaking of... I went to Atlanta Bread Company this past weekend, and I must say it was the dirtiest restaurant I've ever sat down and eaten at. All I can say is, embarrasing. Very. They better watch out or they'll be headed down the same path as Bennigans.

This must be a big problem with Atlanta Bread's restaurants all over as I have quit eating in them in CLT for the same reason.

Go Gators,

Where is Cabannas and what do they serve? What did you have and how much did it cost?

Cabannas is on Kerry Forest Pkwy, on the right by Blockbuster. They serve a little of everything...Burger, Seafood, Salads, Steaks, etc...I think our tab was around $45-50 (with 2 drinks). I got the 12 Shrimp Dish (you can chose between grilled, fried, coconut, bacon wrapped) and got 6 fried, and 6 fried, wrapped with bacon (which was not what I actually ordered, but turned out to be a great mistake :) except for my arteries!) I really dont remember what she got :whistling: lol

Poonther the service was fine when we went. It was Friday night, around 8ish. We ordered and had our food within 25 minutes, but sat around for a while after, so actual length wouldnt be a fair assesment.

They normally have bands (Jimmy Buffett style!) on the porch, from what I understand, but that night it was about 40 degrees when we were there, and no one on the porch...so Im not sure.

Cabanna's has been very good the 5 or 6 times I've been there. They do have a wide selection to choose from & they're locally owned. Sorry I can't remember the couple's name that owns it but I did meet them on our first visit shortly after the grand opening. I love supporting our locally owned establishments that offer great food & service! :)

This must be a big problem with Atlanta Bread's restaurants all over as I have quit eating in them in CLT for the same reason.

My first experience with Atlanta Bread Company was about five years ago in Boynton Beach. I was interning at Motorola (before they closed down the plant) and walked over there for lunch. I was the youngest person there (mostly old people and a few other Motorola Employees). They played nice classical music over the speakers and had a nice atmosphere in general. When the new one opened up, I was excited, since based on my previous experiences, ABC was a really nice resturant. I figured the current state of this resturant was due to the large college population. I am really sad that the whole chain has gone down hill.

Archived