Tallahassee: Restaurants

Florida

R.I.P Bennigan's (one day I hope)

I went to Bennigan's today, which I never do, but because a co-worker had given me a gift certificate I decided I needed to use it up. I could find no one to ever go with me. I usually got the "No, I had a bad experience there" line. I can definitely see why....ripped seats, broken lamps, dirty menus, distinct sticky feel to everything, mangled flatware. I couldn't order anything grilled because their grill was on the fritz...

I was there for lunch today around noon and the place was barely occupied.

Just bad bad bad. Bennigan's is taking up valuable real estate and needs to go NOW.

A whole line up of restaurants could take its place...local or chain. PF Chang's please!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL! That experience is funny. Especially the ripped seats. Whats wrong with Bennigan's management? Don't they see the condition that store is in?

I've heard alot of PF Chang's. I've yet to see one. But they must be good because we continue to get reccomendations for them. I'd love to see an Outback on the Parkway myself... I hate driving all the way out to CCNE-I-10 for some good Outback Wings. I love that place!

To me that would make it all the more of an attractive location for another restaurant. There's also another spot where the old La Fiesta used to be. When I'm ready to dine out, I always flock to areas with tons of restaurants for my girlfriend to choose from. She likes options, and frankly so do I! :D

Oh yeah, I totally agree. Was just wondering if the type of restaurant has anything to do with location choice. I doubt you would see two chain Tex-Mex restaurants next to each other, so would another steak house choose the Bennigan's location if it was so close to two other steak houses? I guess so if Miller's Ale House and Logan's Roadhouse can co-exist next to each other.

I think from now on we should address Bennigan's in the past tense as if it has already closed!!!

HOLD THE PRESSES TJ! Don't write that letter, please. Let Bennigan's die. This is one place I'd love to see close down. AiT is right, it is a dark dank hole. Last time I was there, over 2 years ago, I noticed all the things that AiT stated in his post today. My shoes actually stuck to the floor there as if it was made of gum. That's too prime of a location to waste on such a terrible place and when it closes, I'm sure w/in the year a new place will arise from the ashes. Die Bennigan's Die!

Where the old La Fiesta use to be, at one time they were talking about bldg. an extended stay hotel, but then 9/11 happened and I think that proposal died. Is there anything in works for that property now?

As for Logan's, I saw one of their locations in MY least favorite large metro. area in the U.S. while visiting there and I must say from the outside it looked exactly like Roadhouse. So it doesn't seem like anything new or exciting to me.

FYI: I've stated b4 that I've never eaten at Roadhouse, well this past Saturday night I tried to go there, but the wait at 8pm was 50 minutes (must be for those rolls you guys talk about) and I was too hungry for that, so we headed on down to Decent Pizza for a good meal. I love the funky vibe and the music in that place. That's the type of places we need more in this town, funky and fun, not all these sterile chains.

HOLD THE PRESSES TJ! Don't write that letter, please. Let Bennigan's die. This is one place I'd love to see close down. AiT is right, it is a dark dank hole. Last time I was there, over 2 years ago, I noticed all the things that AiT stated in his post today. My shoes actually stuck to the floor there as if it was made of gum. That's too prime of a location to waste on such a terrible place and when it closes, I'm sure w/in the year a new place will arise from the ashes. Die Bennigan's Die!

Where the old La Fiesta use to be, at one time they were talking about bldg. an extended stay hotel, but then 9/11 happened and I think that proposal died. Is there anything in works for that property now?

As for Logan's, I saw one of their locations in MY least favorite large metro. area in the U.S. while visiting there and I must say from the outside it looked exactly like Roadhouse. So it doesn't seem like anything new or exciting to me.

FYI: I've stated b4 that I've never eaten at Roadhouse, well this past Saturday night I tried to go there, but the wait at 8pm was 50 minutes (must be for those rolls you guys talk about) and I was too hungry for that, so we headed on down to Decent Pizza for a good meal. I love the funky vibe and the music in that place. That's the type of places we need more in this town, funky and fun, not all these sterile chains.

Its hard for me to give up on something that's been in place for so long. But I'll let this one go if you all say it should.

I heard of some plans for a hotel in that old La Fiesta location also, but as you stated, that was before 2002. Much is different since.

I've also seen some Logan's in other cities and I got the same vibe you did, Poonther. I think it'll just be another roadhouse, which might be to the liking of many, but not mine if they have peanut shells on the floor. I prefer to eat where the floor is kept clean.

Speaking of... I went to Atlanta Bread Company this past weekend, and I must say it was the dirtiest restaurant I've ever sat down and eaten at. All I can say is, embarrasing. Very. They better watch out or they'll be headed down the same path as Bennigans.

I'm with you all who say you're tired of all of these chain restaurants. I like going to our local restaurants and enjoying a good meal. Sure there are some chains that I enjoy, but it gets rather dull looking at the same restaurants in Tallahassee that you see in Grand Rapids and vice versa. We must have done Applebee's twice when I was up there. I'm beginning not to like that restaurant.

This past Sunday night I realize one of the few things that chain resturants had over local ones. Chain resturants were open at odd hours (like 10pm on a Sunday). I had to go to Subway to get a somewhat decent quick meal. If anyone knows of a place that is open that late, I would like to know about it!

You are right DaiDreamer5 that is one of the pitfalls of our local restaurants. Late nights and even Sundays in general many of them close. I can't think of any local places that open late on Sunday. I know Decent Pizza closes around 9pm on Sunday. What about the Momo's on Tenn.?

I dunno, but I hate, no i absolutely loathe the fact that stuff closes early on sunday. Im not anti-religious in any way, but the fact is, I find myself needing to go to stores sunday evening and they are all closed except for wal-mart. I hate going all the way to walmart for something...

I think some businesses should close while they attend their religious services midday and stay open for the evenings, because they lose so much business that way...... and plus that way they will still get to worship on their day of worship.

Durango's suckage....

That restaurant is very close to my work and not a single person at my office ever goes there....

I have been a few times and have always been unimpressed. Biggest complaint is that they take no pride in presentation of their food. I mean no garnish whatsoever. You order a chicken breast with a side of vegetables and that's exactly what you get on your plate..a lonely piece of chicken and some vegetables. Not even a single sprig of parsley on the side. Heck, I get better presentation at the nearby Village Inn.

Their food has been adequate but nothing I could get better somewhere else...always have been confused about their "angle." It just fails to be a memorable place to eat.

Do you folks have a Panera Bread yet? TJ mentioned ATL Bread was the dirtiest restaurant he has been in. I've eaten at both ATL Bread and Panera (more Panera than ATL) and in my opinion there is no comparison.

Panera in my opinion is better. I just wish they had them out here in the Phoenix metro. Panera's restaurants have a better layout and a much more casual upscale feel and look to them than ATL Bread. Also, the food at Panera is better and it is presented better. Also the menu at Panera is larger. All in all, ATL Bread is a very, very poor man's Panera. Not saying that anyone who goes to ATL is a poor man.

Everytime I go back home to Jax, I always go to Panera for lunch. Plus the Paneras, at least the majority in the Jax area, are designed so that you could just hangout there for a 1hr or 2 on a Sat afternoon and kill time talking with friends while you have a bite to eat. They also have free Wi-Fi at there restaurants so you can sit on the sofa and use your laptop to connect to the internet while dining.

Panera is tre cool and here's hoping that God's Country (Tally) and Phoenix gets a couple soon.

We are supposed to be getting a Panera in the new Governor's Crossing shopping Center at Blair Stone and Park.

I agree with you on Panera. I like it much better than ABC which is just gone downhill since I first started going to them...

I don't think the entire state of Arizona has Panera so hopefully you will get one soon. My parents used to live in Scottsdale and they had Arizona Bread Company but it wasn't at all like Panera.

You're right. There are no Panera's in the whole state. There's no sitdown, upscale casual sandwich place out here that even compares to Panera. The Phoenix area is supposed to get, wait one second for it, here it comes, 3. You guessed it. 3 Paneras. But guess when. You asked when? Ok, I'll tell you when. 2008 & 2009. Yep, according to a article I read a couple of weeks ago in the Phoenix Business Journal. It's weird b/c Panera for the last year has been building restaurants like crazy in SoCal (San Diego & L A).

I figured that Tally would get one soon. I never go to ATL Bread if the city I'm in has a Panera within a decent driving range. I've only been to the ATL Bread in Tempe once and that's probably going to the last and only time I go to ATL Bread out here.

Durango's suckage....

That restaurant is very close to my work and not a single person at my office ever goes there....

I have been a few times and have always been unimpressed. Biggest complaint is that they take no pride in presentation of their food. I mean no garnish whatsoever. You order a chicken breast with a side of vegetables and that's exactly what you get on your plate..a lonely piece of chicken and some vegetables. Not even a single sprig of parsley on the side. Heck, I get better presentation at the nearby Village Inn.

Their food has been adequate but nothing I could get better somewhere else...always have been confused about their "angle." It just fails to be a memorable place to eat.

This review startles me. I'm not sure of Durango's decline since my last visit, which was about a year ago, but then, the food I ordered was among the best I've ever had from any casual dining restaurant and the presentation was what I'd expect from a cowboy restaurant.

On my last visit I ordered Steak and Salmon, it was WONDERFUL. I'm usually one of those people who rushes thru a meal, but for this I had to take my time and enjoy it. It was superb! My girlfriend loved her food too.

And nothing says Durango's like those Bacon Wrapped Shrimp. You get 6, JUMBO shrimp wrapped in nicely cooked bacon, glazed in some sweet durango's goodness, and some dipping sauce to go along with. Talking about this is making me hungry.

If what you say is true Allan, and Durango's has gone downhill, I sure am disappointed in them. They were one of my favorite spots.

Do you folks have a Panera Bread yet? TJ mentioned ATL Bread was the dirtiest restaurant he has been in. I've eaten at both ATL Bread and Panera (more Panera than ATL) and in my opinion there is no comparison.

Panera in my opinion is better....

...and here's hoping that God's Country (Tally) and Phoenix gets a couple soon.

As AiT pointed out we will have a Panera within a few months. Its currently under construction.

Is Panera and ABC similar to Crispers? Just curious because I haven't eaten there either.

... oh yeah, and I like that God's country business! Has a nice sound to it! :D

As AiT pointed out we will have a Panera within a few months. Its currently under construction.

Is Panera and ABC similar to Crispers? Just curious because I haven't eaten there either.

... oh yeah, and I like that God's country business! Has a nice sound to it! :D

I have eaten at Crispers once. It was slightly overpriced and the food was of good quality but odd. For example my french dip sub was put on whole wheat instead of french bread.

It wasn't really all that bad of a resturant. If I was with someone that wanted to eat there I wouldn't complain, but I would never choose to go back myself.

I have eaten at Crispers once. It was slightly overpriced and the food was of good quality but odd. For example my french dip sub was put on whole wheat instead of french bread.

It wasn't really all that bad of a resturant. If I was with someone that wanted to eat there I wouldn't complain, but I would never choose to go back myself.

:lol: OK. Thanks for that!

I eat at Crispers all the time & LOVE it....I've personally never had a bad meal there. They do have quite a few different things on their menu but I like having something different to choose from...we already have so much of the "same ol' thing" around town. Granted, I haven't had their French Dip & that does sound strange that it was on wheat instead of french bread but everything else has been very good. I love their huge baked potato topped with beef pot roast & their summer salad is excellent also.

I can't stand Atlanta Bread Company either & can't wait for Panera to open in the new Governor's Crossing at Park & Blairstone. Also glad we're getting a Quizno's at Cap Circle & the Parkway.

How is Italian Pie??? Never been there although I pass right by both of them all them time.

I eat at Crispers all the time & LOVE it....I've personally never had a bad meal there. They do have quite a few different things on their menu but I like having something different to choose from...we already have so much of the "same ol' thing" around town. Granted, I haven't had their French Dip & that does sound strange that it was on wheat instead of french bread but everything else has been very good. I love their huge baked potato topped with beef pot roast & their summer salad is excellent also.

I can't stand Atlanta Bread Company either & can't wait for Panera to open in the new Governor's Crossing at Park & Blairstone. Also glad we're getting a Quizno's at Cap Circle & the Parkway.

How is Italian Pie??? Never been there although I pass right by both of them all them time.

Maybe I'll give Crispers another try.

Italian Pie is very good. The food is good, the presentation is above par, the price is fair for that type of resturant. I would recommend it.

FYI: Cripsers is owned by Publix for those that did not know this.

I've eaten at Crispers many times and I like them. They can be on the high side for soup, sandwiches and salads, but so can Quizno's. TJ and DaiDreamer5 my recommendation to you guys in the future would be that when you order a sandwich at any restaurant, ask them as you are ordering what type of bread the sandwich comes on. If it's not to your liking, 90% of the time the restaurant can and will change the type of bread to one that you like........and if they won't, I'd not eat there again.

As for Italian Pie, I like the food, but I have found the service to be slow slow slow. I have never had good service at the second I.P. on Monroe. It's slow there even when not busy, so I won't eat there anymore. The first one on Cap. Circle use to be good w/service but the last two times I went there they were very slow. As a matter of fact the last time we were there, the service was so slow that we walked out after waiting over 10 minutes just to be acknowledged we were there. I then wrote management a letter about our experience and got a quick and polite reply that apologized for what happened. I liked that. They really made no sorry excuses, they just said it was wrong. They also gave me two free meals, which I've not used yet, but need to very soon. So I do like them and the food and I hope the next time I go there, the service will be better.

Archived